Thread: Bereavement Leave Entitlement in England (for Farm Assistant/Worker)

Bereavement Leave Entitlement in England (for Farm Assistant/Worker)

Hi folks,

My dad has been a farm worker/assistant his entire life. Sadly, he just recently lost his mother and we were trying to find the amount of paid bereavement leave he is entitled to in England. I tried searching for the 2018 Agricultural Wages Order but I could only find copies for Wales and Scotland.

The Agricultural Wages Order in Wales states that providing he works a 5-day week, which he does, then the entitlement should be 4 days for the loss of a parent. But I don't know whether this also applies in England.

As it stands at the moment, he has only been allowed 1 day of bereavement leave during this traumatic time. The days he spent organising the funeral had to be taken out of his 'holiday' allowance.

Does anyone have any further information on this, or could suggest who to contact in an effort to find out?

Regards

Re: Bereavement Leave Entitlement in England (for Farm Assistant/Worker)

Quote Originally Posted by P650 View Post
    Hi folks,

My dad has been a farm worker/assistant his entire life. Sadly, he just recently lost his mother and we were trying to find the amount of paid bereavement leave he is entitled to in England. I tried searching for the 2018 Agricultural Wages Order but I could only find copies for Wales and Scotland.

The Agricultural Wages Order in Wales states that providing he works a 5-day week, which he does, then the entitlement should be 4 days for the loss of a parent. But I don't know whether this also applies in England.

As it stands at the moment, he has only been allowed 1 day of bereavement leave during this traumatic time. The days he spent organising the funeral had to be taken out of his 'holiday' allowance.

Does anyone have any further information on this, or could suggest who to contact in an effort to find out?

Regards
    I am somewhat disappointed in his employer if he is taking a draconian position on this. Has he really been approached on the matter?
    Mostly in our part of the world an employee on a farm is part of the family, and helped as much as possible in difficult times like that.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I am somewhat disappointed in his employer if he is taking a draconian position on this. Has he really been approached on the matter?
    Mostly in our part of the world an employee on a farm is part of the family, and helped as much as possible in difficult times like that.
    jack caley
    Hi Jack,

Unfortunately his employer is not the compassionate sort, despite my dad having worked for him over 30 years. We find it extremely disappointing how he has been required to take time off as 'holiday' to organise a funeral. But we are not surprised because the same thing happened when my grandad died.

The employer has not yet been tackled formally but several hints have been dropped, to no effect. We would like to get our facts straight before mentioning anything because from past experience, the employer is highly likely to take offense when confronted about the matter. Thus, we have to tread carefully and not cause further problems unless we are 100% sure on the amount of paid bereavement entitlement in England.

On the other hand, my mother who works in retail was automatically offered 5 days of paid bereavement leave without even mentioning anything, other than the fact her mother-in-law had just passed away. The entire process was simple for her and no questions were asked.

Quote Originally Posted by P650 View Post
    Hi Jack,

Unfortunately his employer is not the compassionate sort, despite my dad having worked for him over 30 years. We find it extremely disappointing how he has been required to take time off as 'holiday' to organise a funeral. But we are not surprised because the same thing happened when my grandad died.

The employer has not yet been tackled formally but several hints have been dropped, to no effect. We would like to get our facts straight before mentioning anything because from past experience, the employer is highly likely to take offense when confronted about the matter. Thus, we have to tread carefully and not cause further problems unless we are 100% sure on the amount of paid bereavement entitlement in England.

On the other hand, my mother who works in retail was automatically offered 5 days of paid bereavement leave without even mentioning anything, other than the fact her mother-in-law had just passed away. The entire process was simple for her and no questions were asked.
    Perhaps it is time to pay for half-an-hour with a lawyer (solicitor) who specializes in labour laws?

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Your Dad's employer is just a bastard as far as I can see.
    I do believe that in the Agric Wages Regs there is provision for bereavement leave.
    Notwithstanding this common decency would dictate an employers response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Perhaps it is time to pay for half-an-hour with a lawyer (solicitor) who specializes in labour laws?
    Hmm. My dad actually went to see a solicitor last week regarding the inheritance, but I don't think it occurred to him to ask about this matter at the same time. I certainly didn't give it a thought. I doubt his solicitor specializes in labour laws but I'm sure it would still be worth mentioning, next time he's there.