Thread: questions about organic fish farming

questions about organic fish farming

Hi
    I would like to start organic fish farming on small scale in the ocean of mediterranean sea. I have a few questions.

1. What would the startup costs be approximately?

2. Is this profitable? If so how much do you think one can make annually?

3. Are there any disadvantages to do organic fish farming in the ocean?

4. I guess organic farming requires harder work than other types of fish farming?

5. And how/where can I learn everything that is necessary?

I am very thankful for your answers.
    Last edited by molecule1; 15-08-18 at 11:06 PM.

Re: questions about organic fish farming

Quote Originally Posted by molecule1 View Post
    Hi
    I would like to start organic fish farming on small scale in the ocean of mediterranean sea. I have a few questions.

1. What would the startup costs be approximately?

2. Is this profitable? If so how much do you think one can make annually?

3. Are there any disadvantages to do organic fish farming in the ocean?

4. I guess organic farming requires harder work than other types of fish farming?

5. And how/where can I learn everything that is necessary?

I am very thankful for your answers.

Re point #5, my guess is that you should look to Scotland, Norway and Tasmania. Tasmania has a booming industry which is causing some distress to the environment. Google "Macquarie Harbour fish deaths"; there are many links which come up.

Having recently completed a cruise in the northern Med., I know that your waters are much warmer than the places mentioned, so their industries producing Atlantic salmon may not supply much useful information.

In northern Australia, barramundi is being farmed successfully. Again, that fish will not be available to you, so the information will be limited.

Are you sure you can produce organic fish in such a highly populated area? Can you meet the standards (if there are any) for food suplies?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: questions about organic fish farming

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post

Re point #5, my guess is that you should look to Scotland, Norway and Tasmania. Tasmania has a booming industry which is causing some distress to the environment. Google "Macquarie Harbour fish deaths"; there are many links which come up.

Having recently completed a cruise in the northern Med., I know that your waters are much warmer than the places mentioned, so their industries producing Atlantic salmon may not supply much useful information.

In northern Australia, barramundi is being farmed successfully. Again, that fish will not be available to you, so the information will be limited.

Are you sure you can produce organic fish in such a highly populated area? Can you meet the standards (if there are any) for food suplies?

JV
    There is a lot of fish farming in the Bay of Fundy (Atlantic Canada) and on the west coast of NA in Washington State and British Columbia

Personally, I am not a big fan of farmed fish so I have stopped eating Salmon (unless I KNOW it wasn't farmed)