Thread: Broadbandwith

Broadbandwith

Please forgive if this is not agricultural.
    We can only get about 4mbps speeds with BT copper lines, no prospect of faster, so I have been exploring the possibility of microwave with a company called Airnet.Their blurb promises 30 and upwards.
    They seem to be a chaotic firm and the speeds are all over the place.
    Has anyone any experience with this lot, and would you advise me to sign up with them?
    jack caley

Re: Broadbandwith

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Please forgive if this is not agricultural.
    We can only get about 4mbps speeds with BT copper lines, no prospect of faster, so I have been exploring the possibility of microwave with a company called Airnet.Their blurb promises 30 and upwards.
    They seem to be a chaotic firm and the speeds are all over the place.
    Has anyone any experience with this lot, and would you advise me to sign up with them?
    jack caley
    I have had their tech bloke tonight, a very competent young man. Maybe we are getting somewhere, will keep you posted.
    jack caley

Hello Jack, hope you're well

I can't help with a recommendation, but do share your frustration with superslow broadband!

Watching your thread with interest

Spud

In a similar situation and two neighbours went with a firm of which I do not know the name of. For about 3 weeks they were both happy but it seems that the company signed up so many people that the equipment could not cope with the traffic and connectivity problems soon arose. One neighbour had kept their BT going as well and used one during the day and the other for evenings and nights. Both have gone back to just the wire, however we are scheduled for a fibre upgrade in the near future, as a man was seen with a measuring wheel in the lane and interrogated by every resident at some point in his day. Planning notices have been up for 5 months informing us we will be getting 15 poles so hopefully September will bring them to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Hello Jack, hope you're well

I can't help with a recommendation, but do share your frustration with superslow broadband!

Watching your thread with interest

Spud
    late last night, about 8pm I had a visit from their technical rep in the area. to be honest I was impressed with him, really knew his stuff. He changed the router and tested it all out. I am getting 16mbps in the office now, he will realign from the main transmitter and I should get 30 mbps very shortly. I had not realized but our office computers are now about 7 years old and they areNOT able to receive large amounts of data, but they will be far better for our present office needs. My main reason for persevering with this is that I need broadband on the caravan site, and once we get 20 geeks on the caravan site playing games of the broadband sort, we will need substantial capacity. BT are never going to upgrade the wire here, although there is absolutely no reason why they should not. I learnt a lot on installing telephone for the power station. Actually glass fibre cable is about two thirds the price of copper. BT quoted via openreach 75,000 to install copper, we did it ourselves for 15000!
    By the way I have retained one landline with broadband just in case. My son in Spain says when they get a storm the microwave can be dodgy, so I was playing safe.
    Am hoping for the best, but internet is so crucial to our business now, we just cannot function without it.
    Jack Caley
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 29-08-18 at 10:14 AM. Reason: omission

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    In a similar situation and two neighbours went with a firm of which I do not know the name of. For about 3 weeks they were both happy but it seems that the company signed up so many people that the equipment could not cope with the traffic and connectivity problems soon arose. One neighbour had kept their BT going as well and used one during the day and the other for evenings and nights. Both have gone back to just the wire, however we are scheduled for a fibre upgrade in the near future, as a man was seen with a measuring wheel in the lane and interrogated by every resident at some point in his day. Planning notices have been up for 5 months informing us we will be getting 15 poles so hopefully September will bring them to us.
    Similar here do not hold your breath.
    Man with wheel was here 12 months ago.
    Presently we have underground ducting installed with cables.....it is going to be FTTP .....
    Currently no action.
    BT website is suggesting by the end of this year.
    Fibre might be fast ......installation is not!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Similar here do not hold your breath.
    Man with wheel was here 12 months ago.
    Presently we have underground ducting installed with cables.....it is going to be FTTP .....
    Currently no action.
    BT website is suggesting by the end of this year.
    Fibre might be fast ......installation is not!

Fibre seems ok if your near the fibre cabinet. Home is 100m from our estate one and Sky's basic package "up to 38meg" promise isn't far off, -36-37meg 99% of the time, although both fibre here and copper at the workshop (4.9meg most times) seem to "drop off speed wise" when usage is light, either a big download or a speed test brings it back up to the mark, I reckon the equipment in the fibre cabinet modulates supply when its only being used lightly to allow more bandwidth for others?

Thing at the end of the day is how much dosh for what speed + how much will you use/need- seems daft paying a lot & only using it little and often. Happy with the Sky deal as its plenty fast enough and good pricewise as part of a package.

We were told that the farm office like most in that village are connected direct to the exchange that happens to be conveniently there too! if the farm paid for more than the basic package its currently on it would be super fast as direct connections even being copper are unregulated. Gawd knows what you theoretically could get if it was FTTP there!
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

I know it's not what you're dealing with but this might be relevant to someone else. We live about 700m in from the road so even in the (highly unlikely) scenario of there being a fibre cabinet installed right at the end of our lane, we'd still have a good bit to go with copper.

I decided to try mobile broadband just over a year ago and inside a few weeks had cancelled the phone line broadband and have been working with it solely ever since. Obviously you need a 4G signal but if that's available then it would be well worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Fibre seems ok if your near the fibre cabinet. Home is 100m from our estate one and Sky's basic package "up to 38meg" promise isn't far off, -36-37meg 99% of the time, although both fibre here and copper at the workshop (4.9meg most times) seem to "drop off speed wise" when usage is light, either a big download or a speed test brings it back up to the mark, I reckon the equipment in the fibre cabinet modulates supply when its only being used lightly to allow more bandwidth for others?

Thing at the end of the day is how much dosh for what speed + how much will you use/need- seems daft paying a lot & only using it little and often. Happy with the Sky deal as its plenty fast enough and good pricewise as part of a package.

We were told that the farm office like most in that village are connected direct to the exchange that happens to be conveniently there too! if the farm paid for more than the basic package its currently on it would be super fast as direct connections even being copper are unregulated. Gawd knows what you theoretically could get if it was FTTP there!
    The whole business of BT,s virtual control makes me mad. BT inherited all the telephone network in what was virtually a privatised daylight robbery. Communications in a modern society is of national importance to the economy. Modern business cannot run without internet. BT should really keep up with modern times and modernise I,e glass fibrInstead they put every obstacle in the way, including exorbitant installation charges.
    Actually, I think you are right about BT manipulating the supply. We get from BT about 4mbps in to our office, which is actually adequate for most office needs apart from transmission of big packages. I think BT could increase our speed from the exchange, even at our distance, but if they did it would be to the detriment of other users, so they keep it to 4.
    As I said before we need more capacity for the caravan site, hence the change.
    I cannot see BT ever offering a speed offered in other countries like South Korea, they just prefer to cash in on what was a privatised daylight robbery.
    I am at the moment involved in cancelling my contract with BT , they really are difficult to deal with and ruthless.
    Wish me luck at the stress desk!
    Jack Caley

The whole business of BT,s virtual control makes me mad. BT inherited all the telephone network in what was virtually a privatised daylight robbery. Communications in a modern society is of national importance to the economy. Modern business cannot run without internet. BT should really keep up with modern times and modernise I,e glass fibrInstead they put every obstacle in the way, including exorbitant installation charges.
    Actually, I think you are right about BT manipulating the supply. We get from BT about 4mbps in to our office, which is actually adequate for most office needs apart from transmission of big packages. I think BT could increase our speed from the exchange, even at our distance, but if they did it would be to the detriment of other users, so they keep it to 4.
    I cannot see BT ever offering a speed offered in other countries like South Korea, they just prefer to cash in on what was a privatised daylight robbery.
    I am at the moment involved in cancelling my contract with BT , they really are difficult to deal with and ruthless.
    Jack Caley
    Out of the blue a few weeks ago BT SENT AN EMAIL....da de da after some work in your exchange we can offer a higher speed to you connection.
    Bit of checking.....up from 3.7 to nearly 5.
    But it fluctuates.....nowt on the telly of an evening and it plunges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Out of the blue a few weeks ago BT SENT AN EMAIL....da de da after some work in your exchange we can offer a higher speed to you connection.
    Bit of checking.....up from 3.7 to nearly 5.
    But it fluctuates.....nowt on the telly of an evening and it plunges.
    This sounds like ADSL2 and maybe 2+ has become available - same arrived here in Spring and has boosted us from 4mb to 6 with no new equipment or increased charge.
    Also upload is improve from 0.4 to 0.8 which actually makes quite a difference and means if you are uploading something it's still possible to do other things online.

My router can be changed manually and ADSL2 provides highest upload speed and better stability with download about 6mb
    ADSL2+ can go over 7mb but tends to need router reboot almost daily, otherwise it appears to be connected but nothing happens.
    I leave it on ADSL2.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    This sounds like ADSL2 and maybe 2+ has become available - same arrived here in Spring and has boosted us from 4mb to 6 with no new equipment or increased charge.
    Also upload is improve from 0.4 to 0.8 which actually makes quite a difference and means if you are uploading something it's still possible to do other things online.

My router can be changed manually and ADSL2 provides highest upload speed and better stability with download about 6mb
    ADSL2+ can go over 7mb but tends to need router reboot almost daily, otherwise it appears to be connected but nothing happens.
    I leave it on ADSL2.
    All this nit picking over whether it is 4, 6, or 7 is merely playing in to the hands oF BT who trying to avoid the cost which would be paid back over the years in increased charges for glassfibre.
    Their business methods are atrocious, in controlling Openreach and their two year contract methods, on top of their fast sell sales department.
    Jack Caley.
    Edit,
    Ps Hull telephones is up to 130bmps!
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 30-08-18 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post

I leave it on ADSL2.

Just about to say I need to check if its ADSL2 or 2+ as the "hello anyone there" symptom happens a lot, but then we get that at the workshops, but more often here at home on Sky fibre, never looked to see what protocol a FTTC/copper router used! At first I put it down to this work laptop's wi-fi seeing as it happened at both, but tests wired in with a LAN cable ruled that out as it still does it, so as you say the router still "thinks" the connection is there which it is because it hasn't dropped, but clicking any link just produces an unable to connect message on browsers.

As an aside, I started this post earlier until the mobile rang interrupting things, it was our elderly widowed neighbour with landline problems with TalkTalk! Her daughter had got roped in to deal with TT's faults department and there was a problem with them unable to find the master socket, the daughter was sure there wasn't one but it got difficult with TT when it transpired there wasn't a master socket disconnect for testing, the daughter explained to the tech department that there was this old square plate screwed to the wall with the phone wire coming out from under it! Unscrewing as asked the techie asked if there was any writing on it? Yes, GPO the daughter said, "H'mm, never heard of that make".....................................

Looks like it has the original plate from 1976 the builders used! Looks like TT/openreach will be round to stick a master socket in and then we can sort the ad-hoc extensions her late husband installed to best practices as expected from an ex RAF Wessex helicopter technician

Jack Caley

Jack, I haven't a clue about all the issues behind BT landing the phone side of the good old GPO back in the day, but I do wonder sometimes that BT having to open up and let 3rd parties use their network infrastructure has some comparisons with the Royal Mail loosing the most efficient rounds to competitors who don't want to service the unpopular rural areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Jack, I haven't a clue about all the issues behind BT landing the phone side of the good old GPO back in the day, but I do wonder sometimes that BT having to open up and let 3rd parties use their network infrastructure has some comparisons with the Royal Mail loosing the most efficient rounds to competitors who don't want to service the unpopular rural areas?
    Are BT really losing the best efficient rounds?
    Am I right in assuming that Openreach actually get the line rental?
    In theory Openreach. Is not supposed to be controlled by BT, but we actually were more or less forced to leave other suppliers because BT controlled repairs to our lines.
    Jack Caley.

In theory Openreach. Is not supposed to be controlled by BT, but we actually were more or less forced to leave other suppliers because BT controlled repairs to our lines.
    Jack Caley.

Royal Mail seem to quote that they are left with all the crap deliveries since government deregulated letter deliveries.

Not sure how the openreach/BT relationship works but if you have an exchange that has been LLU'd -Local Loop Unbundled then you can order phone & broadband through other providers besides BT. I think some use the existing openreach/BT cabling/fibre and some install their own network stuff, but I think they all, including BT pay something to openreach.

Jack Caley.
    On this side of the pond, there are two major vendor networks and a bunch of "piggy backers". One is a traditional Telco (Bell/Aliant) and one who was a Cable provider (Rogers) - everybody else rents space on their networks for both internet and cell service.