Thread: improving ground for sale purposes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

improving ground for sale purposes

Hi, I really need some help. I am absolutely by no means experienced in farming. I own a field with my sister which we inherited. It has been left for 12 years, and has considerable marsh reeds atleast 2 feet tall pretty much over the whole land. We are now looking to sell, and I wondered what would be the process to improve the ground for selling purposes. At a very random guess, I'm wondering something along the lines of cropping, spraying some form or weed killer, ploughing, then reseeding. Although it may not be as straightforward as that. Please help! Much appreciated :-)

Re: improving ground for sale purposes

Best thing to do first would be to cut what is there with a Topper or preferably with a flail mower to mulch it up ,as there will be to much dead material within all the weeds & grasses to have a chance of any type of herbicide spray working properly.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Thanks for your reply skoda much appreciated. That makes complete sense. Would all the cutting be collected at the same time then so as to not leave thick layers or 'thatch' all over the field?
    If ploughing (which I'm assuming will be required), then I understand that needs to be done a certain time of year? And if spraying before ploughing, again that would dictate when it needs spraying?cheers

I would aim to get it topped and sell as is. It takes a lot of effort and time to get rid of rushes, thistles ect and you could end up spending far more than you would recoup in extra sales revenue.

Funnily enough Barney I was just thinking (which prompted me to check the feed) that selling as is may not actually make a huge difference in what we'd make vs the effort and cost of finding a farmer to do it for us. And as the proceeds will be divided by 3 it will make even less impact. To be honest we are not concered hugely about what we make we just want the land sorted as quickly as easily as possible and to be looked after and appreciated by someone.
    So probably like you say just top it and maybe do the hedges.
    Thanks for your reply much appreciated

You haven't actually given any indication as to the location and that will make a huge difference as to price realised. If you are close to suburbia where there would be the potential for horsey people looking for something like what you have or is the land on top of a Mountain ? Location would also give us an idea of soil type and that will make a huge difference to any sale price. Neither have you said how large the field is, that will make a difference as well. I presume it has got at least one access onto the highway but more than that could be beneficial. I do agree with advice about topping but again, as you so rightly said, if there is too much growth of reeds, thistles, etc. then it will look a bit of a mess when topped.

You are appreciating the help that you are receiving on here and so hopefully others will contribute as well. Could you take a photo. of the field, without giving away any hints of exact location ? That would give us a better idea of the problem.

And may I suggest that you scroll down below this text box and click the Subscription box, then click the down arrow and click on Instantly, using email and then this system will alert you when any posts are made in your topic.