Thread: Goves miracle!

Goves miracle!

Just wondered what the forum thinks of Mr Goves miracle replacement of the CAP.
    To me it illustrates a total misunderstanding of what the CAP and the preceding subsidies were. Of course the replacement of production related payments with acreage related was an absolute disaster, public relations wise. The NFU was partly to blame in that, in that it always refused caps on payments. Probably because the NFU consisted of larger acreage officers.
    My won personal opinion is that Mr Goves efforts will result in the total collapse of British agriculture. If the EU carries on with the CAP, our agriculture will not be able to compete at all.
    A classic example of that has happened here locally in this last week. Vivergos biethanol plant, faced with the rapid rise of wheat prices due to our poor harvest, immediately bought in 60000 tonnes, presumabably from France. In future France will be even more competitive, being supported by the CAP.
    The other reason I think Mr Gove is a disaster, is because public money for public goods will not buy the groceries.
    I would have voted Brexit, had I not been in hospital, because I still think it is best for the country. The problem is the total mismanagement of our exit, left in the hands of politicians who are being totally outmanoeuvred by Barnier etc.
    What does anybody else think?
    jack caley

Re: Goves miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Just wondered what the forum thinks of Mr Goves miracle replacement of the CAP.
    To me it illustrates a total misunderstanding of what the CAP and the preceding subsidies were. Of course the replacement of production related payments with acreage related was an absolute disaster, public relations wise. The NFU was partly to blame in that, in that it always refused caps on payments. Probably because the NFU consisted of larger acreage officers.
    My won personal opinion is that Mr Goves efforts will result in the total collapse of British agriculture. If the EU carries on with the CAP, our agriculture will not be able to compete at all.
    A classic example of that has happened here locally in this last week. Vivergos biethanol plant, faced with the rapid rise of wheat prices due to our poor harvest, immediately bought in 60000 tonnes, presumabably from France. In future France will be even more competitive, being supported by the CAP.
    The other reason I think Mr Gove is a disaster, is because public money for public goods will not buy the groceries.
    I would have voted Brexit, had I not been in hospital, because I still think it is best for the country. The problem is the total mismanagement of our exit, left in the hands of politicians who are being totally outmanoeuvred by Barnier etc.
    What does anybody else think?
    jack caley
    On the other side of the Pond, we are involved in NAFTA negotiations with the US - one item of contention is Dairy - in particular Milk.
    Canada has a Supply management system where the consumer pays a bit more while the US has a subsidy system (some claim up to 73% subsidy) - the US wants us to drop our supply management system without dropping their subsidy's => end of dairy industry in Canada

Re: Goves miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    On the other side of the Pond, we are involved in NAFTA negotiations with the US - one item of contention is Dairy - in particular Milk.
    Canada has a Supply management system where the consumer pays a bit more while the US has a subsidy system (some claim up to 73% subsidy) - the US wants us to drop our supply management system without dropping their subsidy's => end of dairy industry in Canada
    There is somewhat of a difference in what you describe, and the proposed action of Gove in this country.
    Goves action is self inflicted. It will still end in the destruction of British Agriculture.
    Jack Caley