Thread: agrochemicals that dont work?

Neddy Flanders

agrochemicals that dont work?

If you bought a tube of athletes foot fungicide that didnt work or a can of petrol that knocked your car about before it recovered three weeks later, would you go to the manufacturer and claim?

Household chemicals, pharmaceuticals etc are all covered by the sale of goods act, as are agrochemicals.

why then do we spend millions on blackgrass sprays and fungicides which are only partially effective, even if applied in optimum conditions, and not complain to manufacturers?

Rob Holmes

Re: agrochemicals that dont work?

...because the chem manufacturers always have a scape goat, either it wasn't applied at optimum GS / optimum weather conditions / wrong water rate / the moon wasn't in the correct phase / etc.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holmes View Post
    ...because the chem manufacturers always have a scape goat, either it wasn't applied at optimum GS / optimum weather conditions / wrong water rate / the moon wasn't in the correct phase / etc.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with all Rob says :cry:

Neddy Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holmes View Post
    yes I agree, but you can still take nurofen with a glass of wine and god knows what else and it will still work, or the wrong dose of fairy liquid and it still works. How come a different moon phase or wet leaf causes blackgrass control to fall by 80%

ladycrofter

Was it frozen during the winter? I had a little Grazon left in a bottle in the shed, when I took it out a few weeks back to start spraying - it was full of brown papery-looking rubbish, I take it some reaction from being frozen. Might not be any obvious sign in other chemicals - and even if you bought it "new", where did the vendor store it over the winter?

back'o'beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy Flanders View Post
    If you bought a tube of athletes foot fungicide that didnt work or a can of petrol that knocked your car about before it recovered three weeks later, would you go to the manufacturer and claim?

Household chemicals, pharmaceuticals etc are all covered by the sale of goods act, as are agrochemicals.

why then do we spend millions on blackgrass sprays and fungicides which are only partially effective, even if applied in optimum conditions, and not complain to manufacturers?
    But in almost all cases they once did work and there is always a bit in the label that tells the user that the product wont give satisfactory control of resistant populations. They also normally state that adverse environmental conditions will reduce efficacy.

Mayo

Would you want to stand by a product and take the hit every time a farmer complained about something?

Even after it has sat in the chem store in the baking heat/freezing cold for 6 months, been mixed in a sprayer that could be 6 weeks old or 15 years, maybe mixed with water clean enough to drink, or sucked from a stream, applied in combination with 3 other products manufactured by other companies, sprayed on in a howling gale when it rained for 12 hours a day later and a hurricane just after for good measure.

Such is the nature of the beast, plain chemistry is fairly reliable, living organisms never are. Par for the course. These things are sent to test us.

Neddy Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Would you want to stand by a product and take the hit every time a farmer complained about something?

Even after it has sat in the chem store in the baking heat/freezing cold for 6 months, been mixed in a sprayer that could be 6 weeks old or 15 years, maybe mixed with water clean enough to drink, or sucked from a stream, applied in combination with 3 other products manufactured by other companies, sprayed on in a howling gale when it rained for 12 hours a day later and a hurricane just after for good measure.

Such is the nature of the beast, plain chemistry is fairly reliable, living organisms never are. Par for the course. These things are sent to test us.
    you havent spent 100k on chemicals and still have blackgrass/septoria/fusarium......

devils advocate

you havent spent 100k on chemicals and still have blackgrass/septoria/fusarium......
    Grow up. lol

Mayo is spot on, buy off a different supplier if chemicals that do work are available.

No non prescription drug will touch my Athletes foot which flares up with extreme heat & humidty & wellies either. I've spent scores of 's on such drugs

Mr Cricket

Obviously judging by your comments you won't bother putting any chemicals on next year if they don't work then?

BTW we have spent 130k on pesticides this year so I can comment

possumbility

everyone in is the same boat, whatever we've done has been fu**ed by the weather, so unless your Billy Connolly (the man who sued god) stop moaning and be grateful for the 240/tonne you will get for your unforwarded crop.