Thread: Galvanising?

Galvanising?

Currently building a trailer body for a caravan chassis to cart quad and equipment around and thinking about galvanising it once finished. Up to now any galvanising I've had done I have had it shotblasted first, however this time the place I buy the new steel says that it doesn't need blasted and it's a waste if time/money. Is this so or is it better to have it blasted?
    Thanks for your replies (I hope). 👍

Re: Galvanising?

If there’s no loose rust the degreasing and pickling processes should clean up the surfaces for galvanising.
    It depends on how long you’ve had the steel.

Make sure there’s no sealed sections. The galvanising process is hot and holes are needed to vent hot air from tube and box sections as it expands.

HTH,

Westy

Alot of galvanisers will dip it first, into an acid which cleans all the conatmination off.

I know that you need holes in pipe and box section for those purposes and there'll be plenty of holes drilled, was just curious about others views but would seem that the acid bath is plenty, was talking to a man last week who makes/builds sheds and he showed some beams he'd be sending for galvanising which would be worse than my steel.
    Thanks for now.