Thread: Cover crop?

Cover crop?

5 acre field belonging to a non farming customer, I cut back big overgrown hedges, got sheughs cleaned, some drainage done then ploughed and lime on to get grass seed down but he then decided to (after speaking to a neighbour) to get someone else involved who has now let him down, so he comes on phone wondering what to do now. Would you leave it fallow to spring or plant a cover crop and disc it in spring for grass seed? Also have the option of winter oats but spring reseed would be out the window until after harvest.

Re: Cover crop?

Well firstly he's made a right bollocks of the situation and I think you'd be well entitled to let him know!

On balance, I'd still try and get seed on it (maybe put an extra acre on!), it's a bit late but it'll be done and there's a reasonable chance it'll do OK.

If you leave it till spring and it turns out to be wet and mild, it could be a weedy mess before you get near it again to do anything with it.

But whatever way, make sure he knows that if it turns in to a handlin, it was his fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    5 acre field belonging to a non farming customer, I cut back big overgrown hedges, got sheughs cleaned, some drainage done then ploughed and lime on to get grass seed down but he then decided to (after speaking to a neighbour) to get someone else involved who has now let him down, so he comes on phone wondering what to do now. Would you leave it fallow to spring or plant a cover crop and disc it in spring for grass seed? Also have the option of winter oats but spring reseed would be out the window until after harvest.
    What is his plans for the field in the longer term? lease it? sell it? pasture someone's horses on it? ? ? ?

He knows he has made a booboo and if left to me it would be done, I definitely emphasised that enough, but he's a customer, same as lots of others and if I'm too hard on him it might be detrimental to me in long run.
    Field will be for more recreational use than agricultural. He wants a 20 foot wide strip round outside cut on a weekly basis for his wife to safely walk the dogs, going to plant a row of trees to screen from the main road nearby and will possibly let someone cut the grass 2 or 3 times per year for round bale silage. The weather,as always, is a major factor in these things and ATM it doesn't look too favourable for grass.

Couple of runs with a disc (one if it's loamy!), one run with land leveler, scatter seed, close gate.

It's to be dry tomorrow, you'd be red up by tea time!

Heavy in bits and black in others, typical!
    Weedwiping to do tomorrow for people that haven't messed me about, afraid he's down the pecking order a bit now instead of the gate being closed. Lol.😂