Thread: Case 885xl too slow!

Case 885xl too slow!

I have recently bought a case 885xl 4wd and even on 2500rpm I can just about get 30k out of her!
    I was wouldering if it is possible to do any gear box swaps or even change the ratios to improve its road speed. Is this even possible? What would it consist off?
    I have noticed that it has the “DT” box and diff in her which I know doesn’t help!!
    The torque amplifier doesn’t work but there is 12v coming to the switch as it is a power command model so I’m assuming the TA is broken. How do I know if it is selected in the “high” ratio in the TA? Would a new TA make any difference to its road speed? Is there different types of ratio’d torque amplifiers????
    Help greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Re: Case 885xl too slow!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig885xl View Post
    I have recently bought a case 885xl 4wd and even on 2500rpm I can just about get 30k out of her!
    I was wouldering if it is possible to do any gear box swaps or even change the ratios to improve its road speed. Is this even possible? What would it consist off?
    I have noticed that it has the “DT” box and diff in her which I know doesn’t help!!
    The torque amplifier doesn’t work but there is 12v coming to the switch as it is a power command model so I’m assuming the TA is broken. How do I know if it is selected in the “high” ratio in the TA? Would a new TA make any difference to its road speed? Is there different types of ratio’d torque amplifiers????
    Help greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Agrimax will probably know but there is a way of reading the main machine number on the tombstone to work out the gearing combinations. I would be suspicious that the TA is in permanent low. Most of that model in my experience were spec to do in excess of 20mph. Our 895 does approx 23.5mph in top at the rated engine speed.

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...-6cyl-too-slow!!

Some info here http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...-6cyl-too-slow!!

I guess we have been luck over the years by chance. All the Doncaster models we have had could exceed 20mph except fo an old 674 (non TA) which could only scrape about 17-18mph.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Agrimax will probably know but there is a way of reading the main machine number on the tombstone to work out the gearing combinations. I would be suspicious that the TA is in permanent low. Most of that model in my experience were spec to do in excess of 20mph. Our 895 does approx 23.5mph in top at the rated engine speed.
    Thanks for the reply! I removed the base plate were the powershift is located to check the shift solenoid for the TA. It seemed to be working fine as I could hear and feel the solenoid click. But when I look up at the TA from lying on the ground I could see that the friction disks and separator disks were removed. What does this mean?

You need Gapples on side,if he's about!

If the plates are all missing it sounds as if someone has had it welded solid, this usually means they are in low TA.
    I believe there's now a kit available to lock them in high...

Thanks Gapples... so does this mean my TA is stuck in low? And is it possible that it could be welded in high and still have the disks removed

Quote Originally Posted by Craig885xl View Post
    Thanks Gapples... so does this mean my TA is stuck in low? And is it possible that it could be welded in high and still have the disks removed

Never dealt with one unlike Gapples but google has brought up this short video clip of a cut away showing how it works-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcbqaKGgNH8

I reckon yours has been welded solid hence the discs are missing which gives low, to do the opposite it looks like you have to fit a modification kit like this sort of thing?

https://case-ihparts.com/Torque_Ampl...tion_Kit/p2951
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

If you are going to strip it down and you are subsequently going to use it sympathetically then why not rebuild in working order. I must admit that I have never rebuilt one as I was put off having nipped o rings in PTO pack. You might have to source some 2nd hand parts. One problem on an 884 that we had was likely wear on a shaft that caused repeated TA failure/leak in High in very short space of space of use. If you start with something sound the TA ought to last somewhile. Using our 895 I have never switched down in an engine braking situation and will also dip the clutch when shifting to high when pulling a loaded trailer.

Thanks all for replying again. There’ll not be anything done with the tractor for another while yet but good to know what the problem is. I get your point essexpete about replacing the ta and having it working. I’d probably be saying the same thing to other people in this situation and it would be great and a very useful function to have on the tractor as I do be pulling a lot of heavy loads with it. But I think in my situation an eliminator kit would suit better as a new ta is goin to be a bit of a bill just to get another few extra mph. I found a gear on the internet that is supposed to lock up the ta and it only costs around €100 and I think it’s my best option.

https://www.johnconaty.com/IHC101054-p/101054.htm

What is involved in putting in this gear. I know the tractor has to be split but is it a cab off job and gearbox tear down or is it more straight foreword. Might be better off getting someone who knows how it’s done to do it.