Thread: Fert spinner

Fert spinner

What machine do people consider to be the best fertiliser spinner?
    Tia.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Fert spinner

For a 10 acre Isles croft or 3000 acre arable farm? As I see you have an NI username I suggest a twin disc Kuhn has probably the best paintwork for corrosion resistance if cared for but fert sowers are not complex and like linkboxes etc there's not much to choose between them all much of a muchness unless you are going for some fancy GPS electronic affair.

Hopefully for contracting work pulled by a quad. Yes, I know that you can buy ground drive machines and a local company makes them but I haven't a great deal of time for that business. I'm thinking more along the lines of mounting the sower onto a bogie set-up with an engine mounted for PTO power, so starting from scratch. Others have done it before with wagtail sowers but was hoping for extra width coverage from a spinner as people are sowing at wider tramlines now. Might also like it to hook up to GPS at some point.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Hmm, I'd look for a cheap older twin disc sower and cut it down to save weight then add a loncin engine and reduction gearbox direct to the gearbox input on the sower to save weight and money. A well made tandem bogey would be where I'd put the money as it could be used for other things. You won't want a tonne of fert in the hopper in my opinion more like 5 or 6 hundred kilos absolute max to go easy on the ground and that would be in good conditions. There's a chap sowed a lot of urea around here for 2 acre using a quad last year _rather him than me Lot of 2's needed to pay off the machinery and fuel never mind put food on the table. To be honest I think he had more than a bit of an issue with arithmetic Also bear in mind if it's dry at the relevant time of the year nobody will need you as they'll do it themselves with a full size sower on a tractor so there's going to be the odd year where there will be little work unless you have a lot of LFA type ground to do. I don't think fodder is nearly as scarce as people thought it was going to be this winter so don't count on a load of urea going on in the new year,most folk around here have enough silage to wait on the spring time. Maybe you have enough work of your own to justify the outlay which is fair enough. If you are really serious a polaris ranger or old red diesel 4wd hilux on the right tyres with a sower on the back would run rings around a quad towing a trail one, Maybe just do middle man for the 2 acre dude if he's still at it. I'd take 25p commission over his 1.75 every day of the week. There's an outfit about Toome that was selling a magnetic lighbar gps setup for 800 a couple of years ago. It seemed quite good for the money and was moveable from machine to machine. Annoyingly I can't remember their name. If I describe it maybe someone else will know it,it was a row of led's on a rechargeable(no leads) unit that stuck to the bonnet in front of the driver with a magnet, you have to stick a metal plate inside a fibreglass bonnet to give it something to hold on to..

Did the chap you refer to have a big advert in Farming Life each week? If so I hear he was through several of the trailed ground drive machines as they couldn't stick the workload. It's hard to get farmers to accept the benefits of a good service when you have a load of clowns that can't do sums or are using daddy's outfit for a few quid in the skyrocket. I have plenty of work ATM but didn't any gear for it last spring and had to turn work away due to being I'll, but that's hopefully in the past.