Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

  1. #1
    Junior Member dorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Alton
    Posts
    19

    Post Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    As a student i have been given an assignment to research what might happen to the beef sucker herds in the UK, what are the benefits of staying or leaving the EU? and any further information would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    997

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    if the government chooses, and I expect they will, free access to beef from the America's North and South. The future for UK Beef production looks absolutely dire
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    661

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    if the government chooses, and I expect they will, free access to beef from the America's North and South. The future for UK Beef production looks absolutely dire
    With all the chemicals the Americans are permitted to inject / feed their cattle, you don't want beef (or milk or cheese) from the US

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    198

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    With all the chemicals the Americans are permitted to inject / feed their cattle, you don't want beef (or milk or cheese) from the US
    You're right, we don't want it but fear we will be sold out by the politicians and the consumers will buy on price like they always do.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    661

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    You're right, we don't want it but fear we will be sold out by the politicians and the consumers will buy on price like they always do.
    I hear ya - we just went through the USMCA (formerly NAFTA) negotiations and all some people could see was the price of milk - they didn't seem to care what chemicals was added to get more milk or the 73% (on average) subsidy US farmers received from the various levels of government.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    997

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    With all the chemicals the Americans are permitted to inject / feed their cattle, you don't want beef (or milk or cheese) from the US
    The UK average consumer has been to the USA, eaten its beef and will find nothing wrong if it comes to the UK. The same will apply to lamb, pork and chicken. The average consumer does not give a fig where it is produced, if it is cheap and tasty.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,614

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    According to the news on BBC the other evening we will all have to stop eating meat pretty soon anyway if we want to save the planet. They showed a machine by a feed barrier measuring all the methane that comes out of the mouths of dairy cows ! 5 burps a minute and that means that we're all going to die !! Some people on this planet have never been hungry. I consider myself, in a bizzare way, privileged (I didn't at the time), to say that I have known hunger. And not just because tea was late one evening either. I mean real hunger and it isn't nice. Ask some of the under-privileged around the World.

    Oh, and by the way, it is wrong to call a pub the Woolsack, The Golden Fleece, etc. Even the Dorset village called Wool is wrongly named, apparently, because shearing sheep is cruel according to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) We're all doomed ( in a Scottish John Frazer accent)
    Last edited by zaza; 28-11-18 at 09:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    991

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    I hesitate to take up so much space on the BFF server, and perhaps divert attention from the OP's request, but I feel obliged to confirm Pvte(?) Frazer's view with an Australian opinion, thus:

    SAID HANRAHAN
    "We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,In accents most forlorn,Outside the church, ere Mass began,One frosty Sunday morn.
    The congregation stood about,Coat-collars to the ears,
    And talked of stock, and crops, and drought,
    As it had done for years.
    "It's lookin' crook," said Daniel Croke;"Bedad, it's cruke, me lad,
    For never since the banks went brokeHas seasons been so bad."
    "It's dry, all right," said young O'Neil,
    With which astute remarkHe squatted down upon his heelAnd chewed a piece of bark. And so around the chorus ran"It's keepin' dry, no doubt.""We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"Before the year is out. "The crops are done; ye'll have your workTo save one bag of grain;From here way out to Back-o'-BourkeThey're singin' out for rain. "They're singin' out for rain," he said,"And all the tanks are dry."The congregation scratched its head,And gazed around the sky. "There won't be grass, in any case,Enough to feed an ass;There's not a blade on Casey's placeAs I came down to Mass." "If rain don't come this month," said Dan,And cleared his throat to speak--"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"If rain don't come this week." A heavy silence seemed to stealOn all at this remark;And each man squatted on his heel,And chewed a piece of bark. "We want a inch of rain, we do,"O'Neil observed at last;But Croke "maintained" we wanted twoTo put the danger past. "If we don't get three inches, man,Or four to break this drought,We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"Before the year is out." In God's good time down came the rain;And all the afternoonOn iron roof and window-paneIt drummed a homely tune. And through the night it pattered still,And lightsome, gladsome elvesOn dripping spout and window-sillKept talking to themselves. It pelted, pelted all day long,A-singing at its work,Till every heart took up the songWay out to Back-o'Bourke. And every creek a banker ran,And dams filled overtop;"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"If this rain doesn't stop." And stop it did, in God's good time;And spring came in to foldA mantle o'er the hills sublimeOf green and pink and gold. And days went by on dancing feet,With harvest-hopes immense,And laughing eyes beheld the wheatNid-nodding o'er the fence. And, oh, the smiles on every face,As happy lad and lassThrough grass knee-deep on Casey's placeWent riding down to Mass. While round the church in clothes genteelDiscoursed the men of mark,And each man squatted on his heel,And chewed his piece of bark. "There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,There will, without a doubt;We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,"Before the year is out." John O'Brien

    Elucidation: "rooned" = ruined.

    JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 29-11-18 at 08:37 AM.
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    661

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    According to the news on BBC the other evening we will all have to stop eating meat pretty soon anyway if we want to save the planet. They showed a machine by a feed barrier measuring all the methane that comes out of the mouths of dairy cows ! 5 burps a minute and that means that we're all going to die !! Some people on this planet have never been hungry. I consider myself, in a bizzare way, privileged (I didn't at the time), to say that I have known hunger. And not just because tea was late one evening either. I mean real hunger and it isn't nice. Ask some of the under-privileged around the World.

    Oh, and by the way, it is wrong to call a pub the Woolsack, The Golden Fleece, etc. Even the Dorset village called Wool is wrongly named, apparently, because shearing sheep is cruel according to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) We're all doomed ( in a Scottish John Frazer accent)
    Personally, I think the next "climate change" measurement should not be how much "crap" you put into the atmosphere but how more you clean the atmosphere than you put into it. for example, trees reduce the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere - if we go back to farming our forests rather than clear-cutting, we can increase the carbon removed from the air by between 2-3 times based on research performed at the University of New Brunswick over a 30-40 year period.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    997

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    According to the news on BBC the other evening we will all have to stop eating meat pretty soon anyway if we want to save the planet. They showed a machine by a feed barrier measuring all the methane that comes out of the mouths of dairy cows ! 5 burps a minute and that means that we're all going to die !! Some people on this planet have never been hungry. I consider myself, in a bizzare way, privileged (I didn't at the time), to say that I have known hunger. And not just because tea was late one evening either. I mean real hunger and it isn't nice. Ask some of the under-privileged around the World.

    Oh, and by the way, it is wrong to call a pub the Woolsack, The Golden Fleece, etc. Even the Dorset village called Wool is wrongly named, apparently, because shearing sheep is cruel according to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) We're all doomed ( in a Scottish John Frazer accent)
    Journalists sadly just reel off the latest garbage press release issued by any group who wants to make a name for itself.
    There is far more methane produced by rice production! So they had better do away with all those Indian take aways!
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,614

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Journalists sadly just reel off the latest garbage press release issued by any group who wants to make a name for itself.
    There is far more methane produced by rice production! So they had better do away with all those Indian take aways!
    I quite agree but the problem is that people believe what what is fed to them via the media. And bad news spreads faster than good news. Look at the prominance that has been given to the latest utterings from Mark Carney and if they (the media) reported correctly all that he said it wouldn't be the doom-laden garbage that has been broadcast.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    945

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I quite agree but the problem is that people believe what what is fed to them via the media. And bad news spreads faster than good news. Look at the prominance that has been given to the latest utterings from Mark Carney and if they (the media) reported correctly all that he said it wouldn't be the doom-laden garbage that has been broadcast.
    The problem is that the BBC is anti Brexit anyway. There was an obituary to Richard Baker in the Yorks Post last Saturday, apparently he was one of the last true news readers, not a journalist. Journalists know they have as much power as politicians if not more, as politicians have to follow the trend set by journalists.
    Many of the staff at BBC are either homosexual or vegetarian, pretending to be environmentalists, not living in the real world as us farmers have to. Therefore they are very selective in their news items. On the subject of global warming, they have fastened on methane output of bovines. They conveniently forget the amount of fossil fuel needed to produce wheat to feed to pigs and poultry. In my opinion rather than a reduction in the beef herd for forestry, better by far to subsidise a return of sheep and beef in to the arable rotation.
    jack caley

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    661

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    The problem is that the BBC is anti Brexit anyway. There was an obituary to Richard Baker in the Yorks Post last Saturday, apparently he was one of the last true news readers, not a journalist. Journalists know they have as much power as politicians if not more, as politicians have to follow the trend set by journalists.
    Many of the staff at BBC are either homosexual or vegetarian, pretending to be environmentalists, not living in the real world as us farmers have to. Therefore they are very selective in their news items. On the subject of global warming, they have fastened on methane output of bovines. They conveniently forget the amount of fossil fuel needed to produce wheat to feed to pigs and poultry. In my opinion rather than a reduction in the beef herd for forestry, better by far to subsidise a return of sheep and beef in to the arable rotation.
    jack caley
    Jack, it isn't just the BBC. Gone are the days where the "big headline" sold the newspaper where you got ALL the other news as well and all the paper's advertisers got their message provided to the masses.

    Now the "news" industry is financed by "the more clicks the more advertising revenue" so the more controversial the headline / story the more advertising revenue for the "news organization" and the more recognition for the writer (and higher pay). The 5 W's of journalism don't seem to matter anymore (Who, What, When, Where & Why).

    I think people started to notice this (on this side of the pond) during the US election campaign 2-3 years ago

    Solution? I don't know.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,614

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    up arrow2.png I concur with what both the above said. And I remember Richard Baker very well. Very professional man at his job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBm2OXxPIhE

  15. #15
    Junior Member dorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Alton
    Posts
    19

    Re: Student Assignment - how might BREXIT affect beef suckler herds in the UK?

    thx 4 yer help guys ..... thats vvvv helpfull

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •