Thread: ransome ts 80

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ransome ts 80

can anyone help me in setting up a ransome ts 80 single furrow reversible on a massey 135, been looking for a manual and cant find any, any tips on how to get the best from this appreciated thanks

Re: ransome ts 80

Not used a TS80 but used a TS81, 82, & 83 so should be similar. The 81 & 82 were both 2 furrow reversibles and the 83 & 84 (tractor killer) were 3 furrow reversibles.
    Post a piccy showing the headstock or a photo. out of the manual if you have one and I'll help if I can.

there is a linkage on the headstock needs repaired and the disc skimmers are rotten, the trip mechanism needs freed off also

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that headstock is in a bad way. Both linkage pins appear to have been welded on to the cross shaft at some time and and it looks as if they are both bent backwards. We don't know what you are hoping to achieve with this plough but if you are thinking of match ploughing I wouldn't bother. The manner in which those linkage pins were originally fastened on to the cross shaft was always questionable anyway - just one bolt and the cross shaft moves very suddenly on turnover so they could work loose.

Where the top link attaches to the plough has had a smack at some time and would need to be opened out. You say that the "disc skimmers are rotten" Discs & skims are two separate items and steel doesn't rot, it rusts. They are the SN skim and you will need 2 new skim mouldboards and 2 new skim shares. The plough looks as if it's got SCN main mouldboards and the throat part of them have been allowed to wear. They will do a bit more yet but it all depends on how much wear has taken place at the other end, by the tails.

The turnover linkage looks to be in a bad way also. This could be tempermental at the best of times and certainly needs a lot of work on your plough. Oh, and by the way, you need 2 new shares.

You haven't told us what you intend to do with this plough and so advice from here is conjectural. If you have just bought it then I would take it back to the seller and say thanks but no thanks. If, as can be seen, it has been lying down sideways then I would go and put it back where you found it. On the other hand, positioned correctly it would fill a gap in a hedge somewhere.

ok not going to be doing any ploughing matches, only a crofter with a few acres so the plough wont be doing much every year, have grassland that hasnt been turned over for a long time so i thought a single furrow would be good for this, im quite willing to spend some time fixing it up as i didnt pay much for it, is it worth trying to heat the linkage pins up to straighten them out, there is a bit of wear to the rear of the mouldbards but no holes