Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ransome ts 80

Re: ransome ts 80

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    i managed to have a look at the plough today, i made a new linkage for the turnover, i tried it with a light length of round bar but it broke straight away so i used a link of a chain welded onto a threaded rod, this screws into the clevis, the pawl is engaging perfect every time but the plough is still not turning over properly it is almost going all the way over its missing the catch by a fraction, i have been adjusting the threaded rod in the clevis and i got the plough to turn all the way over once, as the plough was lying so long will the bearing on the large centre shaft be needing oil, there is no grease nipple for this, this is all i can think of that could be stopping it going all the way over
    Can't ever remember a grease nipple on any of these Ransome era plough turnover shafts, but I do recall there would of been a cap on covering the adjusting nuts on the front. Perhaps trying to squirt some thick oil into the front bearing for now may help while your trying to get it working and ideally it might be a job for later to undo the nuts, pull the headstock off the shaft and grease the bearings before refitting it all and coming up with some sort of cap for it? Otherwise there's no reason not to drill into the casting to the shaft space, tap a thread for a nipple so you could grease it as is and then find a cap?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

I do think you are probably right FF about there being no nipples to grease the pinion shaft, I can't remember greasing any in that area anyway. Maybe there wasn't any bearing in mind that you would really want one at the back for the rear bearing and one at the front for the front bearing, otherwise you would have to put a Hell of a lot of grease into the casting to make sure that it got to both bearings.

It would be well worth the OP checking the headstock for slop when it is not attached to the tractor because if, for any reason it's got a lot of play in it, that will upset the turnover routine as well as the standard of ploughing.

fitting a grease nipple to the headstock is a good idea, is it an easy job to remove the headstock, looking at the drawing from the book there are a few bits and pieces in there, will get the small grinder and a wire brush onto the boards, i have a beach near to me that i can use to clean up the boards, will the points be ok, how can you tell when they are worn out

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    fitting a grease nipple to the headstock is a good idea, is it an easy job to remove the headstock, looking at the drawing from the book there are a few bits and pieces in there, will get the small grinder and a wire brush onto the boards, i have a beach near to me that i can use to clean up the boards, will the points be ok, how can you tell when they are worn out
    Frankly I wouldn't bother fitting any grease nipples. If you disconnect the turnover linkage and undo the castellated nut at the front of the pinion shaft then the headstock should come off. But be warned, it will be heavy. If you get that far then pack the bearings with plenty of grease.

Just check for play in the headstock first and see how easy it turns when you've pulled the trip (obviously when it's not on the tractor) If it turns O.K. I wouldn't bother with any grease nipples, the lubrication of the pinion shaft can be dealt with later. Just make sure that there isn't too much play in it. There isn't a really good photo. of the "points" (shares) but they look the worse for wear from what I can see. I would replace them but first you have to find out what bodies are on the plough although I think (from memory) that the same shares are used for SCN and UCN. Remember, if you replace any wearing parts (shares etc.) then there are LH and RH parts on a reversible plough.

been a while since i posted about this but managed to try out the plough on my international 584 yesterday, i have got the lift arms as short as they will go and the plough is turning over perfect almost every time without touching the ground, the mouldboards have been cleaned up reasonably well too, i have adjusted the plough so it is taking the smallest furrow width, tried it out in some grassland but the plough is still leaving a strip of land unploughed of a few inches, the wheels are set to the same width the manual recommends which is 55 1/2", is there any way round this without altering the dish settings on the wheels? i may try it on my massey 135 as the wheel width on this is 51 1/2", the furrow is not standing up properly either it is falling back in sometimes what causes this?

My only remaining thoughts about this are :

Are you sure that you have adjusted the furrow width the right way and not the opposite way ?

Is the plough doing the same thing no matter whether you are using the LH or RH furrow ?

Have you got the plough reasonably level fore/aft ?

You shouldn't have any stabiliser bars fitted and any check chains should be slack when the plough is in work ?

Is there any part of the plough, specifically the discs, that are set so that they are encouraging the plough to plough wide ?

I'm not sure about track settings, I've never ploughed with a single furrow plough but are your front wheels set so that the centres of the tyres are in line with the centre of the read tyres ? There is divided opinion about the rights and wrongs about this vis a vis having the front wheel inside tyre walls in-line with the rear inside tyre walls. I have always preferred the latter but sometimes it can't be done if the tractor is used for other jobs such as row crop work, spuds etc. But just check how yours are set and think about that when you are driving in a furrow. i.e. don't fight to get the inside of the front wheels right up tight to the previous furrow wall if they haven't been set to work like that.

i have tried adjusting the furrow width in both directions and still wasnt right, even with the plough pointing towards the furrow it was leaving a strip of unploughed ground, the plough is level fore and aft and it seems to behave the same when ploughing left and right hand, i dont have any stabiliser bars and the check chains seem to be slack, the discs are i think in there normal position just to the side of the knife coulter,the front wheels are narrower than the rears but not by much, i am going to put cat 1 pins on the plough and try it on my massey 135, if it still wont work it is going onto ebay and i will be back to using my old ferguson plough

O.K. a few more thoughts.

1. The front wheels should not be narrower than the rear wheels. Either the centre of the tread of the front and rear tyres should be in line or, ideally, the inside of the front tyre wall should be in line with the inside of the rear tyre wall.

2. You don't have any knife coulters on that plough. Knife coulters do a similar job as discs do. What you do have is discs and skims. Discs are there to make a vertical cut in the soil so that the throat (sometimes called a shin) of the main part of the plough has less work to do. Skims, on the other hand are those things that look like mini mouldboards and are there for skimming the top of the furrow off, the grass in your case, and throwing it into the bottom of the furrow so that all rubbish is buried.

As an exercise I would take the discs off and plough a furrow without them. Reason being is that if they have become mis-aligned they can cause the plough to crab and give the results that you are getting.

The other thing is, as I posted in #5, the pins look to be in a bad way and even bent backwards. Did you rectify that ? They are supposed to be tight onto the cross shaft and not moving. Are you still using the plough with the cross-shaft and pins in the same state as you have shown in #3 ?

the pins are in the same condition, but they are not slack, not sure if the pins are bent or the part the pins go through i will take them off and have a look hopefully new pins will sort it, if its the mounting plate for the pins thats bent then i would need to get a pair made as i havent seen any for sale, will also take off the discs and try it again, should this plough work ok in grass without the discs?

O.K. See how you get on but the plough will work perfectly O.K. in grass without discs in your type of soil. The skims are Ransome SN skims and set properly will do a good job of burying everything. It will be a benefit if they are shiny though. As I said, I have never ploughed with a single furrow plough but for years I never used discs. Never on a Ransome, Huard, MF or DB. I have a disc on the rear furrow of my Dowdeswell because it does tend to keep a clean rear furrow wall.