Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ransome ts 80

Re: ransome ts 80

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    i managed to have a look at the plough today, i made a new linkage for the turnover, i tried it with a light length of round bar but it broke straight away so i used a link of a chain welded onto a threaded rod, this screws into the clevis, the pawl is engaging perfect every time but the plough is still not turning over properly it is almost going all the way over its missing the catch by a fraction, i have been adjusting the threaded rod in the clevis and i got the plough to turn all the way over once, as the plough was lying so long will the bearing on the large centre shaft be needing oil, there is no grease nipple for this, this is all i can think of that could be stopping it going all the way over
    Can't ever remember a grease nipple on any of these Ransome era plough turnover shafts, but I do recall there would of been a cap on covering the adjusting nuts on the front. Perhaps trying to squirt some thick oil into the front bearing for now may help while your trying to get it working and ideally it might be a job for later to undo the nuts, pull the headstock off the shaft and grease the bearings before refitting it all and coming up with some sort of cap for it? Otherwise there's no reason not to drill into the casting to the shaft space, tap a thread for a nipple so you could grease it as is and then find a cap?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

I do think you are probably right FF about there being no nipples to grease the pinion shaft, I can't remember greasing any in that area anyway. Maybe there wasn't any bearing in mind that you would really want one at the back for the rear bearing and one at the front for the front bearing, otherwise you would have to put a Hell of a lot of grease into the casting to make sure that it got to both bearings.

It would be well worth the OP checking the headstock for slop when it is not attached to the tractor because if, for any reason it's got a lot of play in it, that will upset the turnover routine as well as the standard of ploughing.

fitting a grease nipple to the headstock is a good idea, is it an easy job to remove the headstock, looking at the drawing from the book there are a few bits and pieces in there, will get the small grinder and a wire brush onto the boards, i have a beach near to me that i can use to clean up the boards, will the points be ok, how can you tell when they are worn out

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    fitting a grease nipple to the headstock is a good idea, is it an easy job to remove the headstock, looking at the drawing from the book there are a few bits and pieces in there, will get the small grinder and a wire brush onto the boards, i have a beach near to me that i can use to clean up the boards, will the points be ok, how can you tell when they are worn out
    Frankly I wouldn't bother fitting any grease nipples. If you disconnect the turnover linkage and undo the castellated nut at the front of the pinion shaft then the headstock should come off. But be warned, it will be heavy. If you get that far then pack the bearings with plenty of grease.

Just check for play in the headstock first and see how easy it turns when you've pulled the trip (obviously when it's not on the tractor) If it turns O.K. I wouldn't bother with any grease nipples, the lubrication of the pinion shaft can be dealt with later. Just make sure that there isn't too much play in it. There isn't a really good photo. of the "points" (shares) but they look the worse for wear from what I can see. I would replace them but first you have to find out what bodies are on the plough although I think (from memory) that the same shares are used for SCN and UCN. Remember, if you replace any wearing parts (shares etc.) then there are LH and RH parts on a reversible plough.