Thread: Help! MF1455E round baler problem.

Help! MF1455E round baler problem.

Had one of the belts twist itself yesterday. To get enough slack to untwist it, I disconnected the two sets of springs which apply tension to the forming bale and pulled up the arm the top of the springs are connected to with a chain block. As I was hauling it up, I *think* I heard a clunk somewhere inside,and thought at the time that doesn't sound good. Visual inspection showed nothing out of place that I could see. Did the un-twist with no problem.

Removed the chain block and discovered that the springs on each side were way too slack. Adjusting the threaded rod to which they are attached and which normally varies the bale density, would barely tighten the springs, and even then, the belts were so slack they would not begin to turn. Out of three attempts this afternoon, I got one bale and two choked intakes.

I'm totally perplexed! The belt arrangement is so simple, yet I cannot see anywhere the slackness has come from. Not only that, as I see it, raising the external arms to their normal position with slight tension on the springs with an empty chamber simply increases the slackness of the belts. It does not compute!

What am I missing, and what do I do?

JV
    The MF1455E is a Europeanised version of the Vermeer 504. Internet searches of both machines has found nothing relevant, but maybe a BFF 504 user will know what has happened and what to do.
    Last edited by john maddock; 30-12-18 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: Help! MF1455E round baler problem.

Hi John,

Had a look on the MF parts site, your machine model number didn't come up and in the end I had to search for balers and then dig in to find any mention of 1455 from where I have run thru the pictures, there isn't much about the belt routes but there is this picture of the chain drive- don't know if this will be of any help?

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Hi John,

Had a look on the MF parts site, your machine model number didn't come up and in the end I had to search for balers and then dig in to find any mention of 1455 from where I have run thru the pictures, there isn't much about the belt routes but there is this picture of the chain drive- don't know if this will be of any help?

Thanks Ff. Everything but the belts appears to be working normally - especially as we managed to make one bale yesterday out of 3 attempts. On tother occasions, the pickup simply choked the intake roller.

It is such a simple arrangement. I cannot see any way for all the belts to lose tension as a result of raising the arms which apply tension during bale forming. More, raising the arms to re-apply tension to the springs makes the belts slacker. As I said, does not compute!!

Your skill at finding stuff on the web is superior to mine, try for a Vermeer 504. I'm guessing there are only minor changes e.g the crop gathering wheels.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Thanks Ff. Everything but the belts appears to be working normally - especially as we managed to make one bale yesterday out of 3 attempts. On tother occasions, the pickup simply choked the intake roller.

It is such a simple arrangement. I cannot see any way for all the belts to lose tension as a result of raising the arms which apply tension during bale forming. More, raising the arms to re-apply tension to the springs makes the belts slacker. As I said, does not compute!!

Your skill at finding stuff on the web is superior to mine, try for a Vermeer 504. I'm guessing there are only minor changes e.g the crop gathering wheels.

JV
    I think the problem is solved! A good sleep, fresh eyes this a.m., and I noticed that the bottom end of the bale tensioning spring on one side was connected to the wrong hole. There are two - and I chose the incorrect one! Same on tother side. Typical Murphy's Law (of which there are many!). Haven't actually moved it yet, but I can see the dust marks where it should go.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    I think the problem is solved! A good sleep, fresh eyes this a.m., and I noticed that the bottom end of the bale tensioning spring on one side was connected to the wrong hole. There are two - and I chose the incorrect one! Same on tother side. Typical Murphy's Law (of which there are many!). Haven't actually moved it yet, but I can see the dust marks where it should go.

JV
    Reconnected the springs at the correct holes this arvo, and voila, every thing works! What a difference 150mm makes !

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 31-12-18 at 04:58 PM.