Thread: Radio Interference

Radio Interference

Recently fitted some LED worklights to one of the tractors. However the radio interference is terrible when they're switched on.

Anyone know of a way to cure this?

Re: Radio Interference

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Recently fitted some LED worklights to one of the tractors. However the radio interference is terrible when they're switched on.

Anyone know of a way to cure this?
    From what little I have had to do with LED's it seems that many cheap ones are terrible for emitting interference, I have a dash cam in the van- powering it with the makers fag lead works best but originally I wanted to run if from a 12v USB power outlet in the front of the roof lining using a short micro-usb power lead (there was already additional power/wiring up there ) but had to go back to the OE fag lead tucked behind trim and the roof lining as the interference from the USB outlet with its LED indicator and the short lead made tons of signals that the vans in-glass radio aerial that runs from the windscreens top down thru the glass picked up and made all FM stations unusable.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Yep, they were cheap ones off ebay
    The main criteria was finding some the right size and shape to fit into the place in the roof that the old ones came out of.
    It's one of the loader tractors so not really the end of the world just yard work on winter mornings/nights mostly.

Its not LEDs as such is the way they are powered, there will be the control unit built into them that pulses them on and off at about 100Hz, this is invisible to the eye but does mean you get interference. You can see the effects of them some times especially on the LED rear lights on some cars, also shows up well on TV / film because of the aliasing with the frame speed.

Sorry doesn't really answer your question though does it...

If they are CE marked they should have had some filtering built into them to be compliant. You could knock up a little low pass filter inline with the DC supply out of a couple of components but its a bit of hassle I guess. Google low pass filters and set the cut off frequency to about 10Hz and that should help. Alternatively filter the DC supply to your radio the same way.

HTH