Thread: Drilling 50mm holes.

Drilling 50mm holes.

I want to put some bushes in pieces of 10mm steel plate. The steel tube that I have for the bushes is 50mm OD. I have a 6 speed 3 ph Corona industrial pillar drill but I only have 1 & 2 Morse taper available. The slowest spindle speed is 175 rpm. I wondered if there is some kind of attachment that I could put in the drill that will drill large holes like this. I would normally gas the holes but I was going to try and be a bit more "professional" this time if I could. TIA for any help.

Re: Drilling 50mm holes.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I want to put some bushes in pieces of 10mm steel plate. The steel tube that I have for the bushes is 50mm OD. I have a 6 speed 3 ph Corona industrial pillar drill but I only have 1 & 2 Morse taper available. The slowest spindle speed is 175 rpm. I wondered if there is some kind of attachment that I could put in the drill that will drill large holes like this. I would normally gas the holes but I was going to try and be a bit more "professional" this time if I could. TIA for any help.
    Only two words necessary: hole saw

(run it as slow as possible, plenty of cutting fluid from a small hand sprayer, you'll be through in no time!)

On reflection, having only the Morse taper chucks might be a problem - unless you can scrounge a chuck with a Morse taper spindle? Ff will know.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post

(run it as slow as possible, plenty of cutting fluid from a small hand sprayer, you'll be through in no time!)

On reflection, having only the Morse taper chucks might be a problem - unless you can scrounge a chuck with a Morse taper spindle? Ff will know.

JV

Depends a bit on the number of 'oles and the t'ickness ?

For a few even in say 10/12mm plate I expect a good quality Bosch type holesaw in the pillar drill with the workpiece clamped firm would with plenty of lube be ok, trouble is the lack of a MT spindle and jacobs type chuck (surprised ZaZa hasn't acquired one before!)

Better way once you are over the initial expenditure of buying the MT shank and a pilot pin is to go for broaching cutters. I have a shelf above the lathe with a fair selection built up over the years as they are cheap enough to add on as an extra item sometimes when your a few quid short of the free carriage threshold They also fit the two pillar drills, radial arm drill, mag drill and the lathe tailstock so are pretty adaptable but its their ability to drill a ruddy big hole with a small powersource. They also make good jumbo HD plate washers

Their downside is the need for them to be rigidly held along with the workpiece and a limited depth of 25mm or 50mm with the longer series

Have a look here - https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/e...rs-accessories there are other suppliers who may be cheaper

This is what I think you'd need-

Impressed you've gone metric
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

JV
    Thanks John. Maybe I should have mentioned that I have a couple of 3-jaw chucks with a MT2 shank. I am just a bit concerned about the thickness of the plate that I want to drill and the speed (175rpm) of a hole saw, never having used one before. Got plenty of cutting oil though.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Depends a bit on the number of 'oles and the t'ickness ?

For a few even in say 10/12mm plate I expect a good quality Bosch type holesaw in the pillar drill with the workpiece clamped firm would with plenty of lube be ok, trouble is the lack of a MT spindle and jacobs type chuck (surprised ZaZa hasn't acquired one before!)

Better way once you are over the initial expenditure of buying the MT shank and a pilot pin is to go for broaching cutters. I have a shelf above the lathe with a fair selection built up over the years as they are cheap enough to add on as an extra item sometimes when your a few quid short of the free carriage threshold They also fit the two pillar drills, radial arm drill, mag drill and the lathe tailstock so are pretty adaptable but its their ability to drill a ruddy big hole with a small powersource. They also make good jumbo HD plate washers

Their downside is the need for them to be rigidly held along with the workpiece and a limited depth of 25mm or 50mm with the longer series

Have a look here - https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/e...rs-accessories there are other suppliers who may be cheaper

Impressed you've gone metric
    Thanks FF. Ideally I want to drill 4 x 50mm holes in 10mm plate (and we do Metric here I'll have you know !!! ) If I got really carried away I could then drill 4 more holes in the wings of some hefty 8" channel (that's an Imperial measurement LOL ) Probably 15mm thick this time. As I mentioned to JM, I have a few 3 jaw chucks with MT shafts so I'm O.K. on that score. But what about the 175rpm speed ? Would that be too fast ?

EDIT. I have got some of those "hole saws" but I always thought that they were for cutting timber !!! And I forgot to mention that I can clamp everything securley on the drill tabel with the official table vice.

Thanks FF. Ideally I want to drill 4 x 50mm holes in 10mm plate (and we do Metric here I'll have you know !!! ) If I got really carried away I could then drill 4 more holes in the wings of some hefty 8" channel (that's an Imperial measurement LOL ) Probably 15mm thick this time. As I mentioned to JM, I have a few 3 jaw chucks with MT shafts so I'm O.K. on that score. But what about the 175rpm speed ? Would that be too fast ?

EDIT. I have got some of those "hole saws" but I always thought that they were for cutting timber !!! And I forgot to mention that I can clamp everything securley on the drill tabel with the official table vice.
    Sounds like you are pretty close to starting work. As I understand, there are hole saws for timber, and different ones for steel. Certainly a different tooth arrangement is found on holesaws for stone.

Provided the teeth are in good condition, with sufficient set, 10mm should not be difficult. In my experience, they can be sharpened (carefully!), but the problem is that the set becomes insufficient to clear internally. I've been known to turn the work over & cut from tother side.

JV

Thanks John, I'm going to have a go in the next day or two. I watched a few videos on YouTube last night and a couple of them had got ideas about removing swarf. One had drilled a hole on the perimeter of the intended large hole of sufficient diameter so that the swarf could get away. In many cases you couldn't do that because the small hole will show after drilling the large hole but in my case it won't matter because I'm going to weld the bushes into the plates when I've got the holes drilled.

The other idea was to have an air-line near the drill and keep blowing the swarf away but that seemed a bit messy to me. Swarf and cutting oil everywhere.

Oh, and one more thing in the Metric/Imperial debate. I also use the ZaZa measuring scale. i.e. 2 foot 6 and a washer. Please note that the washer unit can be used in either Metric or Imperial measurements and complies with whatever Brexit result we get (if we ever get one !!) I have found that it is extremely advantageous to be as flexible as one can at ZaZa Towers.

We find the rotor broach a good investment. It is positive, use it anywhere and it is very stable. The drills are expensive, but the old morse taper would cost a fortune now. Of course on the old pillar drill we had, it could drill bigger holes.It came from shipbuilders in Hull.
    I really do not like hole saws, only on sufferance!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    We find the rotor broach a good investment. It is positive, use it anywhere and it is very stable. The drills are expensive, but the old morse taper would cost a fortune now. Of course on the old pillar drill we had, it could drill bigger holes.It came from shipbuilders in Hull.
    I really do not like hole saws, only on sufferance!
    jack caley
    Thanks Jack, I had a brief look at those but my problem is that I will almost certainly never use it again if I buy one and they aren't cheap just to drill 4 holes.

UPDATE.

Today ZaZa drilled a hole ! I set up a 54mm hole saw in it's holder and fastened it all in the chuck. I then grabbed a scrap piece of 4" channel that had already got some small holes in it. I then put it in the vice on the drill table and positioned it so that one of the holes would be on the perimeter of the new large hole. I saw this done on a YouTube video and I am convinced that it's worth drilling a hole like that so that the swarf can drop below.

I put the drill on 175rpm and proceeded to drill, with the pilot drill going in first and then the hole saw. I was amazed how quickly it drilled. I didn't have to clear any swarf, it just dropped down through the small hole. I just squirted some oil on it now and again. I suppose I should have used cutting oil but I will buy some. I do have suds for the hacksaw - will that do ?

The channel was only about 8mm thick but drilling the hole took about a minute I would have thought and the hole saw looks as good as new.

Thanks guys, I would never have even thought about using one of the hole saws I have lying around. I need to buy some slightly smaller saw(s), 54mm for a 50mm bush is too sloppy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jack, I had a brief look at those but my problem is that I will almost certainly never use it again if I buy one and they aren't cheap just to drill 4 holes.
    Being diplomatic I avoided goings into that area of discussion

I think the key is it all being rigid and lubricated.

Best bit with a mag drill is if you can't sit it where you want to drill a hole then you simply weld on a bit of HD angle or box with a few good tack welds in the right place and bob's your auntie! The only requirements are to use a safety rope or chain and the thicker the temp base plate the better. You can use them on thin-ish sheet steel if you place a plate behind the thin sheet so there is something for the electromagnets to pull to
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Yes, I will be able to get everything into the drill table vice and then I can bolt that down to the table.

UPDATE.

Today ZaZa drilled a hole ! I set up a 54mm hole saw in it's holder and fastened it all in the chuck. I then grabbed a scrap piece of 4" channel that had already got some small holes in it. I then put it in the vice on the drill table and positioned it so that one of the holes would be on the perimeter of the new large hole. I saw this done on a YouTube video and I am convinced that it's worth drilling a hole like that so that the swarf can drop below.

I put the drill on 175rpm and proceeded to drill, with the pilot drill going in first and then the hole saw. I was amazed how quickly it drilled. I didn't have to clear any swarf, it just dropped down through the small hole. I just squirted some oil on it now and again. I suppose I should have used cutting oil but I will buy some. I do have suds for the hacksaw - will that do ?

The channel was only about 8mm thick but drilling the hole took about a minute I would have thought and the hole saw looks as good as new.

Thanks guys, I would never have even thought about using one of the hole saws I have lying around. I need to buy some slightly smaller saw(s), 54mm for a 50mm bush is too sloppy.
    A nice piece of work zaza! I'm surprised the oil didn't lubricate the teeth so much they stopped cutting! Don't be concerned about the hole saw going blunt. It is just a circular hacksaw blade after all, & with plenty of coolant will last as long.

If two or more of the bushes (should they be called bosses, FF?) need to be aligned for whatever reason, how will you do that?

I was faced with a similar problem for a large machine I was playing with some years ago and because of the precision required I was unable to do the job satisfactorily, so it has been temporarily abandoned.

JV
    Ps Would you by any chance be making an attachment for a backhoe?

If two or more of the bushes (should they be called bosses, FF?) need to be aligned for whatever reason, how will you do that?
    suggestion for 2 or more pieces need to be lined up - line them up, put a little tack weld to hold them together, drill the pilot hole, remove the weld and your pilot holes have everything already aligned for the hole saw

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    suggestion for 2 or more pieces need to be lined up - line them up, put a little tack weld to hold them together, drill the pilot hole, remove the weld and your pilot holes have everything already aligned for the hole saw
    A good trick, which I've used on occasions.

I was thinking along the lines of a shaft having to go thru the 2 bosses, which might be separated by some unknown distance. Unless they are aligned, shaft won't fit, particularly if some accuracyis required. I believe line boring is the usual solution, (not possible on my abandonded job). Might have succeeded by using the shaft as a guide on hte bosses before welding, but even then the welds might have pulled the bosses out of alignment.

JV

A nice piece of work zaza! I'm surprised the oil didn't lubricate the teeth so much they stopped cutting! Don't be concerned about the hole saw going blunt. It is just a circular hacksaw blade after all, & with plenty of coolant will last as long.

I was faced with a similar problem for a large machine I was playing with some years ago and because of the precision required I was unable to do the job satisfactorily, so it has been temporarily abandoned.

JV
    Ps Would you by any chance be making an attachment for a backhoe?
    Thanks for that John. I'll get some suds in an oil can I think before I do any more. I do have to align each pair of bushes but I thought that if I measured as accuractely as I can and then centre punch a mark where the pilot drill has to go I would be somewhere near. I think I will buy a couple of 51mm saws for the 50mm bush which is in tube form at the moment which I will cut into bosses and then will put the shaft through the bushes when I weld them into the parent metal.

I have actually made a muck fork for the front of a JCB 3 nearly 50 years ago that had 3" tines and of course I had to make the brackets that the loader arms and tilt rams fitted into but I gassed those holes in readiness for the bosses but my hands were a bit steadier in those days ! No, it's not for a backhoe. I am almost embarrassed to admit that it's going to be the base for a flag pole that I have which at the moment just sits in a pipe in some concrete but I want to be able to fold it down so that if I need to get to the top of it for any reason I don't have to start climbing ladders.

I have actually done one of these before but that was 20 years ago and it had been a floodlight that had been round a rugby pitch and was heavy steel. I made it fold down but it was so heavy I used to have to let it down gently with a digger. The one I have now is 80mm aluminium tube, about 8mm wall.

Thanks for that John. I'll get some suds in an oil can I think before I do any more. I do have to align each pair of bushes but I thought that if I measured as accuractely as I can and then centre punch a mark where the pilot drill has to go I would be somewhere near. I think I will buy a couple of 51mm saws for the 50mm bush which is in tube form at the moment which I will cut into bosses and then will put the shaft through the bushes when I weld them into the parent metal.

I have actually made a muck fork for the front of a JCB 3 nearly 50 years ago that had 3" tines and of course I had to make the brackets that the loader arms and tilt rams fitted into but I gassed those holes in readiness for the bosses but my hands were a bit steadier in those days ! No, it's not for a backhoe. I am almost embarrassed to admit that it's going to be the base for a flag pole that I have which at the moment just sits in a pipe in some concrete but I want to be able to fold it down so that if I need to get to the top of it for any reason I don't have to start climbing ladders.

I have actually done one of these before but that was 20 years ago and it had been a floodlight that had been round a rugby pitch and was heavy steel. I made it fold down but it was so heavy I used to have to let it down gently with a digger. The one I have now is 80mm aluminium tube, about 8mm wall.
    Aha! The old flag at the top of the pole trick! Verry interestink! - to quote "Laugh In". (Ironhead will understand the reference, even if the Brits don't )

JV

Hmm.. the flag pole wouldn't have any relation to the (dare I mention it?) Brexit outcome?

Aha! The old flag at the top of the pole trick! Verry interestink! - to quote "Laugh In". (Ironhead will understand the reference, even if the Brits don't )

JV
    "Verry interestink"
    Been a long time since I heard that line - even starting to date myself

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    "Verry interestink"
    Been a long time since I heard that line - even starting to date myself
    Ah! Goldie Hawn. Went on the better things, I think. I used to look forward to that show. I suspect we are similarly dated

JV

Hmm.. the flag pole wouldn't have any relation to the (dare I mention it?) Brexit outcome?
    I couldn't possibly comment. Flag2.jpg