Thread: Ford 4610 link arms stuck up

Ford 4610 link arms stuck up

Hi all, new member here from E.Sussex, been lurking about for a while reading the threads to try and solve a problem I have but with no joy so far....

I've recently acquired a 4610 that has been in dry storage for 15 ish years, i've got her up and running but the link arms are stuck in the top position. I'm no expert on hydraulics and this one has been fitted for a loader (not currently fitted) with 3x spool valves in the cab and the lever type ASV (rather than the push-pull type). I've got the ford manuals but as the loader was probably fitted by the local agent none of the additional hydraulics is covered so its a bit of a mystery to me how it all works.

what I do know is:
    the height and draft controls are free in the cab
    the Aux services valve is free and you can hear the hydraulics running when the valve is moved
    the flow control valve lever is stuck but is in the + (assume fastest) position
    the hydraulics used to work when it was parked up
    the link arms wont budge even with my 15-ish ft post knocker on them to weight them down whilst I fiddled with the valves etc

As its got the cab (LP cab I think) on it will be a pain to get the top cover off so I just want to make sure I've explored all other possibilities before I strip it down. Has anyone got any ideas where I can / should look to see if I can resolve this? Would really appreciate some advice here!

cheers

Re: Ford 4610 link arms stuck up

Quote Originally Posted by john4610 View Post
    Hi all, new member here from E.Sussex, been lurking about for a while reading the threads to try and solve a problem I have but with no joy so far....

I've recently acquired a 4610 that has been in dry storage for 15 ish years, i've got her up and running but the link arms are stuck in the top position. I'm no expert on hydraulics and this one has been fitted for a loader (not currently fitted) with 3x spool valves in the cab and the lever type ASV (rather than the push-pull type). I've got the ford manuals but as the loader was probably fitted by the local agent none of the additional hydraulics is covered so its a bit of a mystery to me how it all works.

what I do know is:
    the height and draft controls are free in the cab
    the Aux services valve is free and you can hear the hydraulics running when the valve is moved
    the flow control valve lever is stuck but is in the + (assume fastest) position
    the hydraulics used to work when it was parked up
    the link arms wont budge even with my 15-ish ft post knocker on them to weight them down whilst I fiddled with the valves etc

As its got the cab (LP cab I think) on it will be a pain to get the top cover off so I just want to make sure I've explored all other possibilities before I strip it down. Has anyone got any ideas where I can / should look to see if I can resolve this? Would really appreciate some advice here!

cheers

Never really played with 3pot hydraulics, but, it doesn't have an assister ram by any chance? if it has then slackening the hose off would allow oil out and the main piston under the top cover should drop (assuming the raise/lower linkage/valves also under there may be stuck?- just because the levers move outside won't mean it 100% if it seized inside). If it didn't drop then the only item left is the actual piston being seized?

If it doen't have an assister ram then it would be handy to ID where one would be plumbed up as loosening the plug would do the same thing . I may have some info in old training manuals from boreham house but not back at work until thursday
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Had a 4000 a while back with the same problem.The unloader valve was stuck. Unfortunately it's a lid off job to get at it. I would assume the setup to be much the same in a 4610.

As stated it's the unload valve stuck,and yes top cover off, be careful if you have never done one of these before i would suggest getting a repair manual the valve is moved by hyd pressure and you may wonder why it seized after it's removed because unless it's been submerged in water i have never seen rust as a cause it's just an o-ring on the valve that seem's to stick,i would advise fitting new o-ring's including piston seal's before fitting cover back on, some special tool's were made to remove the plug on the unload valve but a small threaded rod with a piece of tube and a washer can be used to remove it, putting it back in with a few gentle tap's of a hammer............

Thanks guys was thinking it is gonna be a top off job. Sounds like I've exhausted all the easy jobs, didn't want to miss something simple before it gets more serious. Better get the spanners out then...
    Appreciate the replies I'll let you know what I find

If you need a manual your sparex agent should be able to get you one of these- covers the smaller 3 pots up to your 4610, approx 38 list price - http://gb.sparex.com/manual-ford-129...2958&c=S.12958
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    If you need a manual your sparex agent should be able to get you one of these- covers the smaller 3 pots up to your 4610, approx 38 list price - http://gb.sparex.com/manual-ford-129...2958&c=S.12958
    cheers but I was lucky enough to get a set of paper ones with the tractor that seem pretty detailed.

Injector pump drive seal went at the weekend so that's the first job now....

Thought I'd update this now I've sorted it. There were a few issues, the draft control lever rod was snapped (God knows how!) But it was inside the rubber cover so couldn't see it at first. Second issue was the linkage in the rear end from the flow control valve was ceased, also stripped and cleaned the flow control valve itself. Thirdly there was a broken spring in one of the spools in the piston block. I stripped the lot cleaned it and replaced the o rings as well as aux services valve and it works good as gold now. Took a couple of weekends in all but was all straight forward enough, in the end I unbolted the cab and jacked the back up to tip it forward, this left enough space when the rear window was removed to take the top cover with link arms in one go with an engine hoist.

Cheers to everyone for the help