Thread: Morse taper.

Morse taper.

I have a pillar drill that has an MT2 female main drive socket into which I plug MT2 attachments or an MT1 adaptor if I want to go smaller. But the flats on the inside of the female main drive socket have disappeared which is allowing any male MT item that I put into it to revolve internally instead of being driven positively. Is there a quick fix on this or is it a "dismantle and buy a new drive socket" job ?

I have tried being very crude by placing the male part out of line in the female socket and then wedged it with bits of metal through the two holes but they tend to fly out !

TIA for any help.

EDIT. Should have Googled this first. I have just read that it's the taper that does the gripping and not the tang.

Re: Morse taper.

As you've found a clean taper is top priority although the tang does also help with drive even though its more for the ejector key to push on during removal, usually if someone uses it with a loose taper fit it twists a bit off the drill/adaptors tang, it is possible to gently build weld up to get back to work but ideally whacking the drill or adaptor up into a clean socket with a copper hammer seems to work well, mind you some of these old workshop pillar drills do seem to get pretty slack and I expect sourcing a replacement drive, if available could come to a fair few quid?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Time to call in (Inspector) Morse?
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Time to call in (Inspector) Morse?
    Don't give up the day job John.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Don't give up the day job John.
    I dream of it - but can't afford to coz my one liners are too few and far between.
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    I dream of it - but can't afford to coz my one liners are too few and far between.
    My friends & family all laughed at me when I told that them I wanted to become a comedian.

They're not laughing now.