Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Mayor, Ploughman 24. The update thread

Bob Mayor, Ploughman 24. The update thread

Ploughman24, AKA Bob Mayor, is a long time member of BFF who joined way back as a retired farm worker following a particularly horrific head injury. Soon afterwards he became ill with several illnesses, parkinsons, diabetes and cancer being some of them. He eventually had to retire for medical reasons and found BFF as a hobby along with others to keep him occupied during his early days. Soon he became more incapacitated as various illnesses appeared.

Bob has been through a lot of pain and suffering over the years, his posting on BFF has declined as his ability to do things becomes a constant struggle. Over the years many members have supported Bob, surviving on their pensions, Bob and his magnificent wife Maureen have struggled so when over the years their PC packed up, members rallied and bought them a replacement, when Bob became wheelchair bound, they paid for an electric one, also having funds over to supply an air conditioner to use in the hot weather (when at his wits end he would sit in the car with air-con on to get relief!). Because of bobs condition we have become supporters of RABI. They have been very good helping bob and Maureen over the years, it has been the tradition at Lamma on the sumo hospitality trailer to collect donations for RABI as a way of paying back for some of what they have spent supporting Bob.

When they moved west from Bristol to Plymouth members again helped, and also helped when they managed to do a swop and move closer to their children with an easier bungalow for bob who by now is really struggling, moving there was one of bobs long time aims, he wanted to get there and set up everything in Maureens name ready for the inevitable that is slowly coming closer as he struggles with unending pain, skin and internal problems, the list goes on and is not nice at all.

I first came across Bob when he appeared on here one night and became peeved that no one had replied to his question, it turned out that years earlier Bob had actually worked here contract hoeing salad crops, our paths had literally crossed yet we had not met until after meeting years later here on BFF. From this chance encounter we have kept in touch. He usually rings for a chat while waiting in the car while Maureen is shopping! We have spoken about many things over the years but it is now more about his deteriorating health. He battles away constantly in pain as he nears the inevitable, his posts here on the forum have become infrequent now as he is finding the use of a keyboard increasingly difficult. His pain level is constant and he has admitted that if the UK allowed a clinic like Dignatas , he would of taken that option to escape from his torture.

Many BFF members have supported Bob over the years and there had always been a sticky thread on here with the occasional update to keep them informed how he is, last week he came off Morphine as his high dosage of it is now causing other complications and its effect now fades away rapidly. He still keeps chirpy, keeping occupied with a farming game on his computer and other things when he can but really misses his former life out on the farm and countryside. Bob still looks in here to read what has been happening and keep up with things. In our chats we both know he is nearing the inevitable and he is good about it, pleased that their children and grandchildren are near them which helps him with his struggle.

As and when I get any updates I will add these on to keep the members who have supported and followed Bob informed

Footsfitter
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Bob Mayor, Ploughman 24. The update thread

Ploughman 24,
    if you happen to be reading this,I wish you all the best.I've been ploughing today.The land is in a sorry state.Cold and damp and dour.However,I think I was making a reasonable job.Maybe scraping a bit coming up the hill which meant it didnt match up perfectly....but all in all,not to bad.Best wishes to you and yours.

Hi Bob, hope you and Maureen are keeping well - and managing to keep warm. Cannot believe how the ground has dried this week - been busy spreading FYM all week and will be busy putting it under the plough next week. Keep your pecker up mate - Colin and the boys

Over on Farming Discussions, we have a section called Bob's Virtual Day Out - when we can, we take photos and post them here for Bob to take a look at. It would be great if we could have some more contributors, please!

http://farmingdiscussions.proboards....i?board=dayout

Morning bob,
    Glad FF put up a sticky for you again
    We've been dirty water spreading, while the old digger waits for an inner tube. Then the muck store needs attention - as in, some out. If you read FD yesterday, you'll know that I had a poke at the weeping wall to let some water out and lower the levels - too successfully it seems, as it kept the tanker going all afternoon
    Best wishes to you and Maureen.

Matt

Afternoon Bob,
    Been freeing off frozen pipes to cattle troughs this morning. The working rescue pups I was fostering have now all gone but looks like a litter from my girl is imminent, will put pics on both facebook and your virtual days out on Farming Discussions when they arrive. Had good news this week regarding one of my previous pups which passed it's Level 3 Search dog assessment and is now one of only 100 top search dogs in the UK.
    Virtual hugs and best wishes to both you and Maureen

ss

Hi Bob,

We have never met really but I have always kept up with your progress - it is very obvious you have a lot of friends on BFF!

We have just a croft, some cattle and sheep, no arable. Used to do commerical free range eggs but decided to pack it in when the big snows came two years in a row. Luckily we had shut the houses down for painting and maintenance before the first big dump arrived in 2010. Had we not, we would have needed to be eating a lot of eggs! - road blocked for ages, walking out to the cars, and of course people not going to the shops like they normally do. How precarious is any type of farming! The weather has 100 ways to get you.

Now, poultry-wise, I just rear some "rare breeds" for fun and a bit of money. Hatched some turkeys last year to start a breeding flock and don't you know it - mostly males, one of whom just landed in the oven.

Best wishes to you,
    LC

Good to have your thread back, Bob, thankyou Footfitter

Very cold in the middle of England compared to the Hebrides, but nowhere near as wet and windy, at least this winter - the summer past was lovely up there.

Hope you both are managing as best you can and family give you some help also.

Hugs to you and Maureen, love from Joyce xx

Thank you FF for re-instating Bob's thread. I have noticed the quantity of posts from Bob has declined both here and on Facebook: I miss your posts Bob. You suffer so much with your health but you always have kind words of encouragement for others.
    If you see this, remember I am thinking of you along with so many of your other BFF friends.
    I now make a regular contribution to RABI, and it's good to hear that they have helped you out over the years.
    Spring is around the corner Bob, lets hope for a bit of nice sunshine in our lives.
    Much love as always to you and Maureen.
    xx

thankyou all for thoughts and kindness maureen is going into hospital on thursdayfor her hip op she is will be infor five days maybe more
    i am being looked after by a health worker at home as i dont want to be put in respite care i get tireied very easily and sleep a lot as the pain has now got me and my left side has gone to sleep now yes i play my game a lot but have to go backwards as 2013 has ended and wont letme play no more its broke get new one when pennys allow take care all

Good to see you on here bob, No chasing the heath worker around either

BTW just check your PC, I don't think you meant to send me and 8 others a link to some tokyo site??

Best rgds

Peter

Ignore my PM Footsfitter I should have read your post first!

definatly did not put extra on the notes hope to clear it lately

Hope Maureen's op went well, Bob, and that you are behaving yourself with a relief carer
    Best wishes to you both.

maureen has had her op and all is well
    she is awake and eating well thats good
    heath workers good so that does help
    do not put off those jobs that you can do today till tomorrow

Glad to hear Maureen has had her op successfully - heal quickly, Maureen
    Be good, Bob!

Good to hear that Maureen has had her op and I wish her a speedy recovery. Hope you are coping too Bob Big hugs to you both x

I hope Bob doesn't mind me updating everyone. He posted on Facebook that Maureen is "Doing OK, still a bit sore & still has a bit of pain"

BB

maureen has gone downhill her oxygen levels have gone down and it is more painful
    so she is down a bit
    she is fighting it and hopefully she will pick up went up to see her yesterday daughther and husband took me up gratful to them as i would not have got up to see her
    thankyou for thoughts

Sorry to hear Maureen is having a bit of a setback - healing vibes winging their way to her.
    Glad you got in to see her.
    Love to both.
    Joyce xx

Brings on the reality that some of the moans about forum etc are just slightly trivial. Sorry to hear you are both struggling Bob.

Peter

Sorry about Maureen Bob, I hope it's just a minor setback and she makes a speedy recovery. Glad you managed to go and see her and family are now closer to you to be able to help. Virtual hugs and best wishes to you both. xx

maureen is coming home today great news

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman24 View Post
    maureen is coming home today great news
    excellent news

Fantastic!

Now then Bob, What's all this?

Doesn't sound like you'll be driving my spreader for a day or two. Never mind mate, I'll just have to manage without you! Good job I'm not too busy with all this poxy weather.

Remember Bob, we'll always have Beoley!

For those who don't know, Bob took a trip to Beoley, nr Redditch to come and have a look at me spreading some slag one day. A thoroughly enjoyable time it was too.

Keep safe Bob.

maureen is doing ok she is on antibiotics as she has a bit of infection but is doing well no running yet
    i am ok just treading along
    any reading materail that is looking for a new home
    take care all

Spoke to Roberto at the weekend and again today, on sunday Maureen needed some fresh air so they went for a bit of retail therapy & killed two birds with one stone even though maureen had to use two crutches to get around.

Bobs been keeping an eye on the Russian cosmonauts and their yankee passenger returning to a cold and inhospitable Kazakhstan steppes, inbetween all this he's swotting up on southern farmer, farm contractor, and several other publications that mysteriously disappeared from our workshops reading library, much to maurens disgust I expect, cluttering up the bungalow

ff

Hi Bob

Bongo here; good to see Blue got the old Forum back up and running, and that Peter has resurrected your update thread, although sorry to hear of Maureen's painful hip op.
    Life in the Bongo household contnues chaotically, mini Bongo is 4 now (Edward) and tiny Bongo (Harry) is 1 1/2 - both vary from being angelic (rare) to a pain in the arris, sometimes in the same minute. Suffolk is cold, wet and nothing growing yet; some of the oilseed rape fields look completely bare, but when youi look closely you can make out the stumps of the plants - whether the pigeon damage is too severe, time will tell. Folk have been putting early N on anyway - act of faith if you ask me.
    You'll see the lads on my facebook page - I shall post some more up to date pics.

Keep your pecker up old chum.

All the best

Simon / Bongo

we are now going into the bad times where my memory play tricks on me a lot of it is not having stimulation to keep grey matter working
    when i was working it was going along well but since my illnesses have progressed along with pain sickness colds viruis
    it has made me into a person who is going into the darkside
    i do not want to go outside and sleep a lot flippen tablets are a lot to blame
    good news they are putting the ramp in and we have solar panels on our roof but cant use the product as our meter has not got a backstop
    so they are fitting a new meter on the 16th
    maureen is getting fitter every day
    we stopped the care nurses as they came in did a couple things and went never had the same one in a week
    and would like to say a big thankyou to people who have done some very kind things for us