Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Mayor, Ploughman 24. The update thread

Re: Bob Mayor, Ploughman 24. The update thread

'morning Bob.
    So glad to read that Maureen is getting fitter, she shouldn't look back now
    As Bongo so eloquently puts it "Keep your pecker up"..........
    Hugs to both, [You and Maureen that is ]
    Joyce

Morning Bob

Glad you eventually managed to post, long-un too so either your digits will be well exercised, or as I expect, now paying you back

I hope your not including me in
    people who have done some very kind things for us
    I consider getting you what you should of had a just cause!

Good Morning,

I wish to bring to Plymouth City Councils parking Department, the plight of one of your tenants, Mr Robert Mayor, of ** ********* ******, Plymouth, PL6 ***.

I have known Bob for many years and have kept in contact with him on a regular basis through out his trials and tribulations as he progresses along his remaining time here with us. Bob has been medically unfit to work for a long time following a horrendous accident at work with a head injury that at the time he was not expected to survive, following that he has also developed several debilitating illnesses among them, cancer, diabetes, parkinsons, arthritis to name a few.

Bob has been a tenant of Plymouth City Council for a few years, moving from Bristol to Yealmpton in an attempt to be nearer to both his and his wife Maureen's childeren and their families. In July of last year Bob & Maureen managed to move to their present bungalow, again to be nearer to their children ready for when the inevitable happens to bob and also because the new bungalow offered much better parking and access for bob in his wheelchair.

On saturday, Bob rang as usual having driven Maureen to a local supermarket, he kills time by ringing me for a chat. We discuss how his health has been and then about any agricultural happenings that are of interest, this week he described how he is finding it increasingly difficult to get from the bungalow to the car and visa-versa because of the difficulty in being able to park close to their bungalow front door, this has also affected Maureen recently as she is struggling with her mobility following a hip replacement. I assumed that Bob had managed to get a dedicated parking bay for the bungalow after they moved in, so was horrified when he recanted that when asking Plymouth City Council about a parking space he was advised that there was "a six month waiting list" and not to bother!!

Here we have someone who is a very strong candidate for a disabled parking space and who should of had one installed as a matter of urgency, not advised not to apply. Even if it did take six months, at least he would of had one for a couple of months now!!

I hope that you will agree that this is a terrible state of affairs and trust that someone in the parking department will take action forthwith to contact Bob in person and begin the process with the great urgency that it needs to rectify the matter rapidly. Rather than people trying to apportion blame for this discrepancy, I hope that the process can be aided along to assure a swift result.

I have copied this to Bobs city councillors and his MP as I am sure that they will jump at the opportunity to assist in any way that they can.

I would be grateful if you can keep me abreast of the situation.

Yours Sincerely

Peter Todd

Hope you watched the F1!

Will check in the week to see how our keen "friend" at Plymouth parking is getting on

rgds

Peter

Hi Bob, good to hear that Maureen is improving. Hope that Plymouth parking pull their fingers out (well done ff). Keep your chin up, thinking of you both. Big hug xx

Spoke to Bob today, Maureen is doing well according to Bob, but he is struggling with all his issues making it very uncomfortable going, now he has a problem with the authorities stopping his incapacity benefit and income support due to the paperwork being delayed in the post during the recent bank holiday. Will be contacting RABI tomorrow and seeing if their local officer will be able to deal with it, RABI have much more clout with organisations than us individuals, plus Bob and Maureen don't really need all the stress of sorting it out at the moment

ff

Bob rang yesterday after being pretty rough for several days. The leg he has been troubled with is still the same so no good news there. Latest development is a problem with his throat which has been making it difficult to swallow even liquids.
    Maureen sounds to be her usual brilliant self in getting Bob to try lots of different drinks to see if there is something that he can get down, in desperation they turned to ice cream once which seemed to work a bit. As for food, that seems to be even more of a problem.

Moving over to the other problems, Bob was really pleased as the council/housing workmen were there installing a long awaited ramp to the front door plus they are going to supply a battery powered wheelchair which I assume will go in the car. Bob still has and uses the mobility buggy that BFF members bought way back, so I assume that the battery wheelchair will fit in the car and should help them explore a bit more if they drive somewhere.

Bobs parking space may be edging nearer, they are compiling a chart marking the times they have been unable to park near their bungalow so the council can figure out if they are eligible for a disabled bay (one car arrives and the lady parks on their estate before walking to work in the nearby Asda store!!)

Finally good old RABI arranged for their local officer to visit Bob and Maureen who picked up the mess that the benefits agency had made of Bobs payments, there seems to of been quite a mix up but their local lady quickly sorted it out for them, Thanks RABI as always.

ff

Thanks for updating us, FF.
    What a struggle for Bob and Maureen, so glad there are good folks around to help at last.

Hugs to both, and Peter too

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Thanks for updating us, FF.
    What a struggle for Bob and Maureen, so glad there are good folks around to help at last.

Hugs to both, and Peter too

Thanks Joyce, wish I could do more for them, but they keep moving further away!!

Bob, tell Maureen the workshop coffee table has donated the next collection of reading material, so its keep an eye out for City Link on Tuesday

ff

thanks pete and joyce for what you have done joyce thanks for dvds cannot see yet as i am 75%bllind and cannot eat much as food that soon as it touches back of my throart it just goes solid
    so liguids at the moment and hope
    do not put off those jobs that you can do today till tomorrow

Hi Bob,
    you might enjoy even listening to the DVD's - hope so and sorry things are so horrible for you.
    LFJx

Take care Bob, I'm thinking of you both. I'm just so sorry your having such a rotten time. Virtual hugs to both you and Maureen xx

Bob called today. Things are not going well at all. Bobs sight is failing rapidly and his diabetes is around 29 which is seriously bad news, there are also several other problems to contend with so in all its becoming too much.
    Bob is really struggling with the loss of vision though, unable to make out the computer screen he has now started to try using his PC's word recognition software so he may be able to listen to some items, but it seems his biggest struggle is now with the depression that all of this is bringing with it.

footsfitter

Dave Applesquasher

Poor bugger!
    Sorry to hear it Bob, chin up mate. I know it's easy to say but all the best to you and yours.

bit of an update as Bob rang yesterday so called him back and had a bit of a chat. I think he feels a lot better, mainly because he dipped even further downhill generally as well as his diabetes getting worse, this made his vision become virtually zero, but they have managed to get his sugar level back, still way too high but better than where it was. As they said his eyesight has "improved", still not good but at least its better.

Generally Bob did sound more chipper about things, I wouldn't be surprised if the stress and worry about going to a recent family wedding didn't help things, but that one is out of the way, just his daughters later on in the summer.

The only really down side was their tumble dryer has packed up. Luckily their local RABI coordinator was due to visit today for an annual check over so the lady is going to look into the tumble dryer and see what they can do for them.

footsfitter

Thanks for the update, Peter.

Glad you are feeling a bit better, Bob and hope the drier gets sorted out!

(((Hugs to all 3))) - that's people, not the drier

Thanks for the updates Peter.

Glad your feeling a little better and things are improving for Maureen. Hope Rabi have managed to sort the drier. Thinking of you both, virtual hugs to both of you. ss xx

Quote Originally Posted by Songsheet View Post
    Over on Farming Discussions, we have a section called Bob's Virtual Day Out - when we can, we take photos and post them here for Bob to take a look at. It would be great if we could have some more contributors, please!

http://farmingdiscussions.proboards....i?board=dayout
    Hi.

How about some virtual days out with Jack Hargreaves? Here is a vimeo channel with some of Jacks old shows Out Of Town.

Had a chat with Bob yesterday, waiting for Maureen in Asda's car park again!

Bobs now a type 1 diabetic so is getting use to jabbing himself with the auto dose pen type of insulin. Still too early to of brought his blood levels down yet but sounds like they are working on it. Good news as well in that his blood pressure is classed as "normal" again.

Only other notable news is that they are off to Bobs daughters wedding on saturday, I think he has his speech sorted out, hope all goes well and he doesn't mix it up with the rant he had about his electric supply company, his eyesight might be off line, but bob certainly managed a good blow off of steam!!

ff

Thanks for the update Peter. I hope they have a lovely day for the wedding but perhaps not quite as hot as we have it here today

BB

i have been to the opticains and they have asked the doctor to refer me to eye hospital
    wedding was good and everone helped me out which was grand very hot and a lot of pictures on facebook
    we got home at nine oclock
    i am now diabites one and virtualy blind in one eye so all is drifting towards a bad situation so patince is needed
    walking is bad
    so thanks all who posted and for the thought people do and ffand to rabi for the help thankyou all

Glad to hear you had a good time Bob, pictures look good too

best rgds

Peter

i know i have not said much lately but when you cannot see properly and get tired easily because of bordem more then anything except vision you tend to retreat in to the the bits you know
    vision is now pretty good thanks to one persistant lady at the opticians
    we are now the pround owners of a ramp which has white elephant status aparantly it is to steep to go up and down it is supposed to drop one foot in twelve so i cannot use it as it does not do this
    so now a platform is to be put at one end so i can use that when ever it gets put in
    we had a letter saying we have to pay 3.66 p per week to maintain it
    the other thing is we have to move out of here for a fortnight so they can alter the bungalow doors and things around so i can get around with the electric chair that they say i have to have to get around indoors
    sad news which mad me mad someone nicked the small electric one that we had with kind donations from bff still have the quingo the big one for getting about with
    i know things are not going right but i keep thinking positive
    i am now on insulin so i shall be not driving anymore maureen is now the driver and i have accepted it
    thankyou for thoughts i am now off my legs to much pain

Hi Bob, really pleased to hear that your vision has improved, well done that persistent lady at the opticians. Sorry to hear that some lowlife has nicked your electric chair. Keep thinking positive. Virtual hugs to both you and Maureen xx

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman24 View Post
    i know i have not said much lately but when you cannot see properly and get tired easily because of bordem more then anything except vision you tend to retreat in to the the bits you know
    we are now the pround owners of a ramp which has white elephant status aparantly it is to steep to go up and down it is supposed to drop one foot in twelve so i cannot use it as it does not do this
    so now a platform is to be put at one end so i can use that when ever it gets put in
    the other thing is we have to move out of here for a fortnight so they can alter the bungalow doors and things around so i can get around with the electric chair that they say i have to have to get around indoors
    sad news which mad me mad someone nicked the small electric one that we had with kind donations from bff still have the quingo the big one for getting about with
    i am now on insulin so i shall be not driving anymore maureen is now the driver and i have accepted it
    Hello Bob

Thanks for keeping us up to date, I take my hat off to you for your guts and determination to fight on, good for you!
    I'm sorry you've suffered the loss of your scooter. To think some sod had stolen it is hard to take in, what's up with some people these days. If you have contents insurance you may be able to claim its replacement from that Bob, other than that, get on the case with Social services for them to provide a replacement for it.

I'd also be inclined to get onto your social worker regarding the proposed 3-66 weekly charge to maintain your access ramp & platform. That's going to be knocking on towards 200 a year & what do they think they're going to do to it to justify that.

Take care

BB

Hi Bob,

Second what Basilbrush has said about getting onto Social services/worker.

Glad you have a good optician and she has managed to help your sight.

Hope Maureen's hip is doing well.... and hugs to you both,

Joyce xx

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman24 View Post

Got here in the end Bob! Tried to reply last night but ended up crashing out repeatedly so had to leave it till tonight.

Spoke to Bob yesterday (Sat) while on corn cart, so while piloting a MF6499 + alloy Stewart trailer I chased the CR9080 in one of the awkwardest corners of any fields we have and chatted away with him, describing as best I could the kit, the crop (W/Wheat) and the way this corner deserves the nickname of "the hangings", more ups and downs, twists & turns in a couple of acres than any rollercoaster ride!

Anyway it seemed to please bob which was nice to take his mind away from his troubles listed above, plus a few more.

The BFF electric scooter was nicked a couple of weeks ago although by now its days were numbered, its battery pack reflected the chairs age (I think it could of been 5-6 year old by now being second hand when we obtained it for Bob) but it had become near impossible for bob to safely use it now, having to switch to a more stable wheelchair design. It still doesn't make it any better though that some low-life considers it ok to steal something like that

Maureen's doing fine according to Bob, she has recovered after her hip operation and now walks the dog easily which is good news. Must of been all the exercise in Asdas aisles that done it (according to bob anyway!)

Bobs eyes are still giving him trouble, while he can see a little bit better, but his eyes get very tired and painful as does his legs, when I called he had gone to bed which is where he finds it a little bit easier to cope with, so while he was "lounging" on his bed, there I was on the end of my phones bluetooth chatting away with him about how I could see the edge of the chilterns one way, the surrey hills, hampshire downs and more. Very surreal.

Fittingly afterwards on the haul back to store while driving through typical british county backlanes, like a green tunnel, our countryside at its best, there on the radio came Louis Armstrong and "what a wonderful world" After speaking with Bob, I always think how lucky I am to only have minor and irrelevant problems compared to the hand that he has been dealt with.

Keep it going as long as you can bob.

Best rgds

Peter

Lovely story Peter.

Bob (and Maureen) best wishes to you both.

Matt.

Good to hear from you Bob,

Colin

Meant to put something in last week but circumstances blew that away..................

Did speak to bob last week, he's still coping, his eyes are better in as much that he can see some things marginally better, but its still not ideal. Seems that getting his diabetes down from the ceiling to the dado rail helped there, pity it didn't help with the pain in his joints and all the other issues he is still managing with. Bob did explain about his forthcoming visit to be assessed if he is fit to return to work!!!! He has to go and visit a pen-pusher who will check that he actually is unable to work........I'm looking forward to hearing what would have to be the closest thing to a monty-python sketch!! In the meantime I had better go through the workshop reading material.............I'm sure Maureen just needs a few more ag magazines to adorn the coffee table

ff

Bob's birthday Monday, isn't it?

Thanks for the update Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Bob's birthday Monday, isn't it?

Thanks for the update Peter.
    Yes Joyce, 60th too!

Being like the Queen Bob has two birthdays. An "official" one and a real birthday, todays the real one, but yesterday was the "official" one, well it must of been as I had an official summons from Mrs Mayor to attend, I don't think she mentioned it to Bob by to look on his face when I popped round the corner just after they had alighted from their taxi!

Maureen thought his face looked a picture, it sure looked surprised!!! So after a battle to get the big lad into the lift we made our way up to find the rest of the surprise guests waiting for his arrival. We then enjoyed a 2hour lunch party. Thanks very much for inviting me down, it was worth the all the effort and was nice to go back afterwards to your home for a quick chat before being blown back up the A38/A303.

Although it was grand to see you again, it was hard seeing you struggle with your problems and puts all mine into perspective, your a brave big old beggar putting up with it all Bob.

Hope you enjoy the fresh reading magazines along with the box of goodies and thanks for the lovely chunk of birthday cake, much appreciated particularly as today was supposed to be a fasting/diet day !!

Look after one another

Best regards

Peter