Thread: Prince Philip's comment ‘Farming’s too important to be left to farmers’

Prince Philip's comment ‘Farming’s too important to be left to farmers’

What do you farmers think about this comment ?? ... i think now days we have no other chose but to leave farming to the government and DEFRA etc, because they have such a grip on us at the moment, its almost like we are not allowed to do are job without it coming under scrutiny, i sometimes wished i lived in the old day, where we were allowed to do are job without so much red tape and restrictions.

Re: Prince Philip's comment ‘Farming’s too important to be left to farmers’

Quote Originally Posted by dorian View Post
    What do you farmers think about this comment ?? ... i think now days we have no other chose but to leave farming to the government and DEFRA etc, because they have such a grip on us at the moment, its almost like we are not allowed to do are job without it coming under scrutiny, i sometimes wished i lived in the old day, where we were allowed to do are job without so much red tape and restrictions.
    I think he has (maybe) bought into the globalist aristocracy's agenda of "go big or go home" that is so prevalent in most industries today, including farming.

Quote Originally Posted by dorian View Post
    Have not seen details of this quote.
    Could you give more details?
    jack caley

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Ah poor old bloke clearly the old dementia is starting to kick in.

i think hes bang on

theres a lot of good farmers out there but theres also a hell of a lot of farmers that are experts in there own farm yard where nobody can challenge them but outside it they would get there ideas ripped to pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    i think hes bang on

theres a lot of good farmers out there but theres also a hell of a lot of farmers that are experts in there own farm yard where nobody can challenge them but outside it they would get there ideas ripped to pieces
    Maybe it really is time you lot gained independence !

i think hes bang on

Your right enough there, I do a bit for several different farmers,, talk about "it's my way or the high way,,," some folk are not receptive to a fresh idea or using new thinking,,,

well ot was good enough for my dad ,, and his dad,, etc etc,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Your right enough there, I do a bit for several different farmers,, talk about "it's my way or the high way,,," some folk are not receptive to a fresh idea or using new thinking,,,

well ot was good enough for my dad ,, and his dad,, etc etc,
    Careful! If you don't toe the party line, Somerset will be invited to leave the UK as well...

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Careful! If you don't toe the party line, Somerset will be invited to leave the UK as well...

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Jokes and insults aside, there is convincing evidence that a rising level of income, and this is true throughout all of socio economic groups/races in the world, that when income exceeds a certain level the interest and care for the environment rises in line with it. It is a direct linear relationship.
    In the 3rd/under developed world it has been estimated at a GDP of $3600 pa.
    In short what I am saying is that under current income levels many farming businesses struggle to stay afloat without taking on the additional burden of altruistic environmental aims. When you're drowning you don't give a toss about saving the whale.
    I do take Umbridge towards the privileged classes lecturing me on such matters. Had HRH achieved something off his own back and through the sweat of his own brow or wit then I might take a different view.
    I think the chattering classes call this JAM (JUST ABOUT MANAGING) which I guess is what most farmers do.
    If we had more money I am sure that more effort would be put into these virtue signalling activities.

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Jokes and insults aside, there is convincing evidence that a rising level of income, and this is true throughout all of socio economic groups/races in the world, that when income exceeds a certain level the interest and care for the environment rises in line with it. It is a direct linear relationship.
    In the 3rd/under developed world it has been estimated at a GDP of $3600 pa.
    In short what I am saying is that under current income levels many farming businesses struggle to stay afloat without taking on the additional burden of altruistic environmental aims. When you're drowning you don't give a toss about saving the whale.
    I do take Umbridge towards the privileged classes lecturing me on such matters. Had HRH achieved something off his own back and through the sweat of his own brow or wit then I might take a different view.
    I think the chattering classes call this JAM (JUST ABOUT MANAGING) which I guess is what most farmers do.
    If we had more money I am sure that more effort would be put into these virtue signalling activities.
    Mostly I fully agree with you. Commodity prices in real terms have declined all my 85 years, which means that farmers have to look to survival first. If you look at all of the evangelistic environmentalists(e.g. Melchett) you find they have great inherited wealth.
    Not for them worrying about paying for next weeks groceries!
    jack caley

I thought that Prince Philip's comments were offensive, the same as the "bang on" comment by people who agree with him. But then he has a history of being at the least un-diplomatic and at the worst downright rude. Remember the slitty-eyes episode ?

It's not just farming but the whole demographics of the countryside that have changed in my lifetime. There are very few family farms around this area any more. The local estate used to have 9 tenant farmers, now there is 1. I remember when more than 50% of farms milked, maybe only 30 cows, but they would almost certainly also have 150 ewes, some stores in the barns in Winter and a bit of corn & some spuds. I remember when about 6 of us grew spuds, all within a 2 miles radius. Probably only 6-10 acres but it provided some seasonal work for the locals when picking & sorting. The year I finished growing them I had to advertise in a couple of local village shops for pickers and half of those who turned up didn't last the day and no one appeared the next day !

And so look where we are now. We've gone from the guaranteed price system which was designed to just put a floor in the market to the bribery that we see today. Because bribery is what it is. We'll pay you ŁX if you will join one of our many enviromental schemes and at the same time grow some food. The family farm didn't have to be bribed. As well as family members being interested in their environment there was always the local lads who would come and help out at bale carting, moving cattle, etc. and who in turn would enjoy a bit of shooting, decoying, and yes, even walking up a charlie or two.

Hedges were layed, gates were hung, ditches were kept clean out, etc. I have spent many hours clearing snow on the roads, all for no reward but just because it needed doing. And what have we got now ? I wouldn't go out and clear snow in case some beligerent idiot accused me of making a slippery surface and they had damaged their pride and joy because they don't drive according to the conditions. I have cleaned many many ditches out for customers to get the water away. It appears now that great crested newts are more important than preventing the land from becoming waterlogged.

I have seen the best days.

I'm afraid just because something offends you doesn't make you right

I'm afraid just because something offends you doesn't make you right
    Maybe not, but you and he are both wrong. You honestly believe that he is right when he says that farming is too important to be left to farmers ? How on Earth would he know ? What has he ever done for agriculture and food production for this nation of ours ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Maybe not, but you and he are both wrong. You honestly believe that he is right when he says that farming is too important to be left to farmers ? How on Earth would he know ? What has he ever done for agriculture and food production for this nation of ours ?
    Oh dear ..it would appear you may be one if those farm yard experts I was talking about , in which case theres no point getting into any kind of argument with you because let's face it your never wrong , possibly this is what he is talking about as well

Oh dear ..it would appear you may be one if those farm yard experts I was talking about , why do you write that ? Please explain how my narrative has enabled you to reach that conclusion. in which case theres no point getting into any kind of argument with you because let's face it your never wrong , oh yes I am. Remember, the man who never made a mistake never made anything. possibly this is what he is talking about as well
    And precisley how (and more importantly why) would Prince Philip even begin to think that
    let's face it your never wrong
    Oh, and one more thing. "your" in that last quote is incorrect. It should be "you are" or, as is more often used "you're" where the apostrophe takes the place of the missing letter "a"
    Last edited by zaza; 12-02-19 at 07:13 AM.

Oh, and one more thing. "your" in that last quore is incorrect. It should be "you are" or, as is more often used "you're" where the apostrophe takes the place of the missing letter "a"
    Your not helping yourself with comments like that

Your not helping yourself with comments like that
    I am not trying to help myself. I'm trying to help you. A bit of help is worth a lot of sympathy.

I am not trying to help myself. I'm trying to help you. A bit of help is worth a lot of sympathy.
    keep going , your painting a better picture of yourself all the time

keep going , you're painting a better picture of yourself all the time
    How very true. But if you really really try ever so ever so hard you could have the last word.

Come on, you know you can do it.

I thought that Prince Philip's comments were offensive, the same as the "bang on" comment by people who agree with him. But then he has a history of being at the least un-diplomatic and at the worst downright rude. Remember the slitty-eyes episode ?

It's not just farming but the whole demographics of the countryside that have changed in my lifetime. There are very few family farms around this area any more. The local estate used to have 9 tenant farmers, now there is 1. I remember when more than 50% of farms milked, maybe only 30 cows, but they would almost certainly also have 150 ewes, some stores in the barns in Winter and a bit of corn & some spuds. I remember when about 6 of us grew spuds, all within a 2 miles radius. Probably only 6-10 acres but it provided some seasonal work for the locals when picking & sorting. The year I finished growing them I had to advertise in a couple of local village shops for pickers and half of those who turned up didn't last the day and no one appeared the next day !

And so look where we are now. We've gone from the guaranteed price system which was designed to just put a floor in the market to the bribery that we see today. Because bribery is what it is. We'll pay you ŁX if you will join one of our many enviromental schemes and at the same time grow some food. The family farm didn't have to be bribed. As well as family members being interested in their environment there was always the local lads who would come and help out at bale carting, moving cattle, etc. and who in turn would enjoy a bit of shooting, decoying, and yes, even walking up a charlie or two.

Hedges were layed, gates were hung, ditches were kept clean out, etc. I have spent many hours clearing snow on the roads, all for no reward but just because it needed doing. And what have we got now ? I wouldn't go out and clear snow in case some beligerent idiot accused me of making a slippery surface and they had damaged their pride and joy because they don't drive according to the conditions. I have cleaned many many ditches out for customers to get the water away. It appears now that great crested newts are more important than preventing the land from becoming waterlogged.

I have seen the best days.
    Very good post, it does illustrate exactly why farmers have behaved the way they have, if they managed to survive. It is not their fault they have been forced in to the farming practices they have adopted. Cheap food policies, anti cooperative laws, supermarket greed, all have combined to create an industrialised industry. Of course Prince Philip, and Prince Charles could both live in a cloud cuckoo land, as could the people like Melchett who they listened to. Not for them a meeting with an accountant to explain yet another years poor trading figures.
    I do feel sad though that on this forum discussion has changed to personal attacks, no better than Facebook.
    Jack Caley

At least he recognises it is​ important. Which is more than can be said for some of the policy makers in government.

Oh, and one more thing. "your" in that last quore is incorrect. It should be "you are" or, as is more often used "you're" where the apostrophe takes the place of the missing letter "a"
    *quote*

People in glass houses, and all that

Children behave yourselves otherwise you will be on detention at playtime.

I realise its to late now but:-
    Prince Phillip should Belt up before he criticises others
    Xlandman

Quote Originally Posted by Xlandman View Post
    I realise its to late now but:-
    Prince Phillip should Belt up before he criticises others
    Xlandman
    He was entitled to criticise others, he had seen the light, very bright sunlight!
    Only trouble was, at the same time he saw the light, he failed to see the car coming at a hell of a lick!
    jack caley