Thread: Case MXM internal roof light for illuminating controls

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Case MXM internal roof light for illuminating controls

Anyone replaced the bulb in what looks to be a small light inside on the roof that illuminates the rh control panels? I'm wondering it is necessary to remove the roof or can the light be prised down internally without breaking it. I'm fed up hoking around after dark for the buttons on the light touch panel. Hoping not to have to lift the roof up cos I'm inherently lazy.

Re: Case MXM internal roof light for illuminating controls

Update__now sorted without removing the roof, on a whim I removed the grille over the speaker and cab air filter and found with the filter removed it was possible to reach over the speaker working by feel and grasp the light unit then wriggle it around to release the tabs and have it drop down into the cab then release the two wires from their spade terminals. Two tabs press in on the side of the unit to split it open and replace the lamp. It's a rubbolite branded unit with what I think is known as a 5w festoon bulb or I should say lamp, we were always chided in tech that bulbs were things flowers grew from. I just posted in case anyone else has the light out as it's an easy fix. Only took me about four years to remember in daylight that it wasn't working, I noticed in the dark often enough that it wasn't when I was groping around for the work light buttons. NH TM should be similar.
    Last edited by T P; 08-02-19 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    Update__now sorted without removing the roof, on a whim I removed the grille over the speaker and cab air filter and found with the filter removed it was possible to reach over the speaker working by feel and grasp the light unit then wriggle it around to release the tabs and have it drop down into the cab then release the two wires from their spade terminals. Two tabs press in on the side of the unit to split it open and replace the lamp. It's a rubbolite branded unit with what I think is known as a 5w festoon bulb or I should say lamp, we were always chided in tech that bulbs were things flowers grew from. I just posted in case anyone else has the light out as it's an easy fix. Only took me about four years to remember in daylight that it wasn't working, I noticed in the dark often enough that it wasn't when I was groping around for the work light buttons. NH TM should be similar.
    Cheers mate, the light has gone in our NH, I'll maybe have a butchers on the morrow, now I know the above, I'm more Inherantly lazy than you so couldn't be arsed to motivate meself,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

So if you had simply attacked it at one side with a flat bladed screwdriver as most farmers would do, would it have come out anyway?

Oh BTW, what gearbox is in your MXM?

Is the MXM basically the same as a TM?

Anyone replaced the bulb in what looks to be a small light inside on the roof that illuminates the rh control panels? I'm wondering it is necessary to remove the roof or can the light be prised down internally without breaking it. I'm fed up hoking around after dark for the buttons on the light touch panel. Hoping not to have to lift the roof up cos I'm inherently lazy.
    A similar question: how to do the same job on an MF4225?

The lens/cover seems to click at three places when it is turned, so I presume it is also the switch - in which case I'm very reluctant to threaten it with a flat screw driver. It might go into a huff and refuse to work ever again!

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    I think so, have only sat in a couple of case cabs, but if you shut your eyes your hands can find the right bits, it's a very similar lay out,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post

Yes only trim differences like bonnet and mudguards, cab interior panels etc.. The big mechanicals like engine gearbox and backend are the same as a TM or NH8360 etc

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    So if you had simply attacked it at one side with a flat bladed screwdriver as most farmers would do, would it have come out anyway?

Oh BTW, what gearbox is in your MXM?
    In theory you could release the light with a screwdriver or two would be better, one each side but in this instance the light unit is recessed into a cavity so you'd need something with a 90 degree bend near the end. The method from above is far safer less likely to break the tabs etc.

Gearbox is Rangecommand for the chap who asked.

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    A similar question: how to do the same job on an MF4225?

The lens/cover seems to click at three places when it is turned, so I presume it is also the switch - in which case I'm very reluctant to threaten it with a flat screw driver. It might go into a huff and refuse to work ever again!

JV
    Sounds like you are describing a white light interior light? rather than the unusual soft red light for highlighting the decals and the control levers etc. I was referring to.

Sounds like you are describing a white light interior light? rather than the unusual soft red light for highlighting the decals and the control levers etc. I was referring to.
    Ah! Yes, thankyou. I wasn't aware that I was asking something different - in this case the interior cabin light.

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 12-02-19 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

In theory you could release the light with a screwdriver or two would be better, one each side but in this instance the light unit is recessed into a cavity so you'd need something with a 90 degree bend near the end. The method from above is far safer less likely to break the tabs etc.

Gearbox is Rangecommand for the chap who asked.
    Hasn't gone yet but when it does I will HAVE to fix it, would do my head in knowing that it wasn't working.

Why I asked about the gearbox is that my soon to be son-in-law has one which is fully manual and the range shift lever is playing up majorily. I would be pretty certain that it's a cable/linkage adjustment issue, was hoping I might have hit the jackpot and found someone knowledgeable who could give me a heads up before I'd start.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Hasn't gone yet but when it does I will HAVE to fix it, would do my head in knowing that it wasn't working.

Why I asked about the gearbox is that my soon to be son-in-law has one which is fully manual and the range shift lever is playing up majorily. I would be pretty certain that it's a cable/linkage adjustment issue, was hoping I might have hit the jackpot and found someone knowledgeable who could give me a heads up before I'd start.
    You'll be lucky if it's an adjustment issue as it's fairly common for the synchro hubs to fail in all variant's. My understanding is that is was more of a manufacturing quality issue rather than a design fault. You just bite the bullet and fix them then motor on. You could be lucky, worth lifting the floor (if it comes out like the 40's ) and inspecting the linkage or cables. I've never seen many fully manual ones but I know they exist.

I've never seen many fully manual ones but I know they exist.
    One is one too many, total ruination of an otherwise pretty decent tractor!

Been playing up for a while but now no range shift at all so need to get at it soon.