Thread: Track Marshall 155 wiring diagram for the dash.

Track Marshall 155 wiring diagram for the dash.

I wonder if anyone might have a wiring diagram for the above please ? I've got one for the TM135 but the dash is slightly different. It's only a silly problem but the ignition light doesn't come on anymore. It always was a bit temperamental until things had shook around a little !. I've had the light unit out and tested and that's O.K. and all the fuses look O.K. One problem is that there is no room to work in there. The ignition switch looks a little suspect to me and wondered if I can short across that just to make the light come on. If I can do that then it either a play around with the switch or a replacement. I should add that she starts up O.K. using the switch, just no light as soon as you turn to the first position.

TIA for any help.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Track Marshall 155 wiring diagram for the dash.

On the back of the alternator look for a plug with three wires short the small wire to the chassis and see if the lamp comes on,if it does there,s a wee brush worn in the rear of the alternator. If not check for 12v back up towards the switch. If the ignition light doesn't come on with the key with the engine off the machine won't charge with the engine running. The lamp must be a traditional bulb type not a replacement led as the latter doesn't pass enough current to excite the field coils in the alternator.

That was was very helpful TP. Thank you. When I earth the small wire from the alternator what position should the ignition key be in ? I've had the lamp out and tested it across a 12v battery and it comes on O.K. The lamp almost looks like a sealed unit in itself so I presume that it's O.K. I think she is charging O.K. because the old T6-354 takes a bit of swinging over this time of year and she swings over without a fault until she fires and then continues to swing it over until the old girl wakes up properly.

Sorry,
    I didn't make it clear the lamp should light when the ignition switch is on and the small wire earthed to the chassis. The easiest way to do it is usually to pull the plug from the alternator and access the small terminal on the rear of the plug with a piece of wire to earth. Some brands of alternators have the standard plug some others individual wires but the light circuit is a small wire not for heavy charge current. If you want to be extra safe put an inline fuse in the wire in case you short the wrong wire to earth (either of the big ones won't be good as they will be a dead short and turn the wire into a heating element which is not good if it went red hot in your hand. As long as you ground the small wire to earth there is no need for a fuse in line but I just mentioned the fuse for anyone tentative, I don't use a fuse. It's common for the little brush in the rear of the alternator to wear out and it can usually be replaced without removing the alternator from the vehicle though most folk just swop the unit for a recon instead.
    SO_Light should be on with the small wire shorted to chassis with ignition switch on, should it then be off when the plug is in alternator equals alternator (usually brush) fault. Light off with the ignition switch on and wee wire earthed equals bulb blown or a wiring fault upline towards the switch. Often this can be a corroded multipin plug somewhere.

These tools make diagnosing your problem a couple of minutes work in the right hands and the pp1/ppx has internal overload protection, flick the button one way it's a live feed, flick it the other it's an earth plus there's a permanent earth fly lead too. Probe a wire and it indicates live or ground.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2xSafety-...4AAOSwAnhbCQJx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-PP...frcectupt=true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNrywA8f4Ro

My wire piercing probes are slightly more upmarket but only do the same job.

https://www.amazon.com/Pomona-6405-P.../dp/B000K1FXXS

The upmarket probes cost the price of half a dozen cheap ones so are hard to justify for occasional use when the cheap ones get the job done.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sealey-PP10....c100009.m1982

Another useful tool for the more technically minded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtXDZthy5OQ

Thanks again TP. I'll carry out the wire test at the rear of the alternator today and report back.

O.K. TP, I did that and this is what happened. I took the cable connector off the rear of the alternator & grounded the smallest of the three cables. I then turned the ignition on and the light came on. It stayed on as I tried the heat and (for a nano-second) the start position. It went off as I returned the switch to the off position. I took the cable connector apart and everything looked O.K. in there. The small connector (female spade) looked as if it might possibly have been a bit "sloppy" and so I tightened up the wings a bit but I really don't think that is the problem.

Where do I go from here please ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

As suspected the alternator brushes seem to have failed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alternato...kAAOSwUKxYf1NJ

I
    t should be possible to source a service exchange unit from a motor factors or have it repaired. Parts are available for self repair too but Iíd recommend exchange. IF you like to gamble and tinker look at the parts here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...lator&_sacat=0

There can be subtle variations in parts so pull down first and compare yours at your own discretion with the offerings. You might even get away with the brushes on their own but itís only a couple of quid more for the entire regulator with brushes, slip ring is usually serviceable but can be replaced too if necessary.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...+ring&_sacat=0

gets fiddly by then and in my opinion not worth the hassle, here,s the typical full kit bearings and all but it involves pressing bearings and possibly high wattage soldering.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILETRO...AAAOSw6Tdb00Dv

lucas A127 on YouTube will bring up how to videos.
    Last edited by T P; 18-02-19 at 01:39 AM.

That is very comprehensive and also very helpful TP. Thank you. I will look at the YT videos later. There used to be a guy around here who came round in his van and repaired these things, starters, dynamos, etc. I'll contact him I think. One more question if I may. Does the fault mean that the alternator isn't actually charging ? The crawler does more stopping and starting than work nowadays and I would have thought that the battery would, at some stage, fail. Thanks again.

UPDATE. I think I'll have a quick look at the brushes and if they're O.K. then it's time for a service exchange I think. I found a decent video on YT which shows my alternator exactly. I think I will take mine off the crawler because it's easy to get at and at least when I've got it on the bench there is less chance of me losing those small screws. I'll be back with piccies !

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    That is very comprehensive and also very helpful TP. Thank you. I will look at the YT videos later. There used to be a guy around here who came round in his van and repaired these things, starters, dynamos, etc. I'll contact him I think. One more question if I may. Does the fault mean that the alternator isn't actually charging ? The crawler does more stopping and starting than work nowadays and I would have thought that the battery would, at some stage, fail. Thanks again.

On most vehicles of that era if the bulb doesnít illuminate when the key is at the acc position it wonít charge as the bulb is feeding a small amount of current into the alternator that is required to initiate the current flowing. There are a few variations on the usual arrangements so as with most things there are exceptions using variations on the wiring but most farm stuff of that era used the dash bulb feeding the current to that terminal.

Thanks again TP. Bit busy at the moment but it's on the "to-do" list.