Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Slow computer

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    863

    Slow computer

    We have two computers Windows seven, quite old, now going very slowly. Talked to my computer man who recommended either replacing the hard drive with SSD drive, or new computers. Apparently windows seven loses support next year. Our secretary does like Windows ten.
    Any suggestions?
    jack caley

  2. #2
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,642

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    We have two computers Windows seven, quite old, now going very slowly. Talked to my computer man who recommended either replacing the hard drive with SSD drive, or new computers. Apparently windows seven loses support next year. Our secretary does like Windows ten.
    Any suggestions?
    jack caley
    Hi Jack,

    Looks like its time to upgrade things a bit. Can't see the sense in putting a SSD drive in something that old. I've used a company up your way called eBuyer for years and often source just a basic spec PC that does what we want. I have had a search there for Win10, 8GB of ram and a hard drive. They come up with several at or above that spec here-

    https://www.ebuyer.com/841368-lenovo...top-90ga003puk

    Funny enough its the virtually the same spec as the last one I bought to update our accounts lady's old one which like your current ones was old and running on dated software before having a crash and then loosing her user account.

    Its a Lenovo which are now pretty good and reliable, it comes with a keyboard (I like their keyboards- same on their thinkpads too) and a mouse. Your get a full working 64bit win10 operating system (64bit works faster than old 32bit) , a 1TB HD (which is way over spec!), a DVD/cd drive, 4 usbs on the front and a multi card reader for all yours or YA's holiday snaps, on the back theres connectivity for old VGA monitors or newer HDMI, more usbs, and an ethernet LAN socket plus its also got wireless networking too! And at 262.50 without vat, enough to make any Yorkshire businessman smile!!


    While your at it, if your monitors are Logi Baird era, heres one eBuyer recommends and on sale out of the 600 odd they list! At just under 46 both the yorkshire businessman and his secretary will be purring!!

    https://www.ebuyer.com/865282-lg-22m...nitor-22mk400a


    Now think back to what we used to pay for our first PC's?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    863

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Hi Jack,

    Looks like its time to upgrade things a bit. Can't see the sense in putting a SSD drive in something that old. I've used a company up your way called eBuyer for years and often source just a basic spec PC that does what we want. I have had a search there for Win10, 8GB of ram and a hard drive. They come up with several at or above that spec here-

    https://www.ebuyer.com/841368-lenovo...top-90ga003puk

    Funny enough its the virtually the same spec as the last one I bought to update our accounts lady's old one which like your current ones was old and running on dated software before having a crash and then loosing her user account.

    Its a Lenovo which are now pretty good and reliable, it comes with a keyboard (I like their keyboards- same on their thinkpads too) and a mouse. Your get a full working 64bit win10 operating system (64bit works faster than old 32bit) , a 1TB HD (which is way over spec!), a DVD/cd drive, 4 usbs on the front and a multi card reader for all yours or YA's holiday snaps, on the back theres connectivity for old VGA monitors or newer HDMI, more usbs, and an ethernet LAN socket plus its also got wireless networking too! And at 262.50 without vat, enough to make any Yorkshire businessman smile!!


    While your at it, if your monitors are Logi Baird era, heres one eBuyer recommends and on sale out of the 600 odd they list! At just under 46 both the yorkshire businessman and his secretary will be purring!!

    https://www.ebuyer.com/865282-lg-22m...nitor-22mk400a


    Now think back to what we used to pay for our first PC's?
    Thanks for the advice, ebuyer is alongside the M62!
    To be fair my computer man did give me the option of reasonably priced desktops.
    However, would we be able to just transfer sage for instance just using memory sticks?
    We are not desperately computer literate, even though we have been using them for yonks.
    Thanks again,
    jack caley

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,531

    Re: Slow computer

    Jack, never in my wildest dreams would I ever consider any pc now that didn't have a SSD. I have one in my desktop and it just holds all of my programs. I just use the HDD for data. My desktop is a 64x Win 8.1 and about 4 years old now but the boot up routine takes around 15 seconds and that includes loading Norton AV !! The SSD (Drive C) is about 38% full but remember that is all programs. The data is all on the HHD which was what was originally in the machine and instead of drive C: which is of course what it was when manufactured it is now drive D: which is a 900Gb drive and is now about 30% full.

    You are never exposed to drive letters etc. and there is no difference other than being ridiculousy faster when booting, loading programs, processing some programs that require lots of processor time like video editing etc. etc.

    Not sure if you were using PCs when they first appeared. Mine was a dual floppy drive machine and when I first had a go on a HDD machine I knew there was no going back. It's like the difference between dial-up and broadband.
    Last edited by zaza; 18-02-19 at 11:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,642

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Thanks for the advice, ebuyer is alongside the M62!
    To be fair my computer man did give me the option of reasonably priced desktops.
    However, would we be able to just transfer sage for instance just using memory sticks?
    We are not desperately computer literate, even though we have been using them for yonks.
    Thanks again,
    jack caley
    Jack,

    1st thing to do is to check if your version of sage and any other important programs/apps will work with W10. Usually its a case of loading an up to date version of the program, adding any licence if required and then importing the data from your old machine.

    Your old machine would best be used as a backup while shifting to a replacement system, its possible to remove its hard drive and put in an enclosure/caddy and keep it if you wanted to chuck the old machine, most data files should be accessible if required.

    If your man has offered something suitable then it would be prudent to stick with him especially as you might get him to swop you over as part of the deal? Just make sure you have a machine that has at least 8GB of ram - Win10 will work with 4GB but when there updates running and other stuff plenty of ram memory helps getting as much done as possible- important if your one of these turn it on and then off/sleep a short time later.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  6. #6
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,642

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Jack, never in my wildest dreams would I ever consider any pc now that didn't have a SSID. I have one in my desktop and it just holds all of my programs. I just use the HDD for data. My desktop is a 64x Win 8.1 and about 4 years old now but the boot up routine takes around 15 seconds and that includes loading Norton AV !! The SSID (Drive C) is about 38% full but remember that is all programs. The data is all on the HHD which was what was originally in the machine and instead of drive C: which is of course what it was when manufactured it is now drive D: which is a 900Gb drive and is now about 30% full.

    You are never exposed to drive letters etc. and there is no difference other than being ridiculousy faster when booting, loading programs, processing some programs that require lots of processor time like video editing etc. etc.

    Not sure if you were using PCs when they first appeared. Mine was a dual floppy drive machine and when I first had a go on a HDD machine I knew there was no going back. It's like the difference between dial-up and broadband.

    Each to their own.

    Win 8 and versions went out of regular support last year and now are on extended support for about another 24-30 months. Now Win10 has settled down it seems as Jacks secretary says, quite good.

    SSID's are ok if you do like you have but ideally having a big enough one to have it all on means you don't have a noisy power hungry HD. BTW, I assume you know never to defrag your SSD? as repeated deleting/writing doesn't do their lifespan much good apparently.
    Having the OS and data on separate drives seemed the big thing in the past but with the switch to cloud storage its much easier to back up all data to the cloud ready to reinstall if needed (and of course use an old HD as an insurance policy backup too!)

    Most laptops/tablets seem to be sold with small SSD's as the makers are relying on everyone to be using the cloud to store their data which id your on rural broadband isn't helpful.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,531

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Each to their own.
    I'm not sure what is meant by that remark.

    I wasn't, for one moment, promoting Win 8 or versions thereof, I was just stating what I use as an example. SSDs are in some ways like a flash drive, i.e. no moving parts in the same way that a HDD has. I personally would never use cloud storage. Admittedly I am not a huge corporation with masses of data to store but cloud storage is not without it's perils. It is stored at many data locations increasing the risk of unauthorised access to the data by the people employed by the companies. One of the reasons this can happen is because data is replicated and moved frequently.

    Today's programs are larger in size than ever and if you can sensibly and safely use a SSD to speed their operation then it all makes sense. The programs of my security system occupy in excess of 600Gb and it's operational 24/7 but it's almost instant when I need to investigate anything. I wouldn't want that on a HDD ! But then again, neither would I want to spend day after day ploughing with a TS82 and 2wd tractor like I used to.

    But, as they say, each to their own.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,642

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I'm not sure what is meant by that remark.

    I wasn't, for one moment, promoting Win 8 or versions thereof, I was just stating what I use as an example. SSDs are in some ways like a flash drive, i.e. no moving parts in the same way that a HDD has. I personally would never use cloud storage. Admittedly I am not a huge corporation with masses of data to store but cloud storage is not without it's perils. It is stored at many data locations increasing the risk of unauthorised access to the data by the people employed by the companies. One of the reasons this can happen is because data is replicated and moved frequently.

    Today's programs are larger in size than ever and if you can sensibly and safely use a SSD to speed their operation then it all makes sense. The programs of my security system occupy in excess of 600Gb and it's operational 24/7 but it's almost instant when I need to investigate anything. I wouldn't want that on a HDD ! But then again, neither would I want to spend day after day ploughing with a TS82 and 2wd tractor like I used to.

    But, as they say, each to their own.

    Just what it means, everyone has their own needs and rarely does a one fit all fit everyone.

    I'm not a cloud storage fanatic but I've found it has some handy advantages and where backups may of been a couple of removable devices of some type I have shifted to the use of cloud to synchronise data between machines but still have a physical backup somewhere besides what may be on a PC.

    At work we have switched over to Office 365 via their Home subscription of 80 a year for -

    Share with your entire family for up to 6 people
    For use on multiple PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones (including Windows, iOS, and Android*)
    Premium versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, plus Publisher and Access for PC only
    1TB OneDrive cloud storage with advanced security per person
    Collaborate on documents with others online

    Each member can install it on up to 5 devices and if they want to share some of their subscriptions with others, I think MS have realised they have to make something attractive and get people to a little. If you have proper old time rural broadband then it can be challenging but it has its uses and everyone has access to legit MS office products that are all uptodate and when 80 is divided by 5 its not expensive.

    Still feel happier with a proper backup though what ever they say and anyway you have to find a use for all these old hardrives
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  9. #9
    Member Xlandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    62

    Re: Slow computer

    Take a backup of your Sage on a data stick - Hopefully you will have auto saves on - File - schedule backup - settings I have mine set at every 3 hours
    Then when you have your new computer ring Sage they will send you a link to your new computer install then restore
    I agree with FF about ram W 10 will run on 8Gb of ram treat yourself it runs much better on 32Gb
    Using computers is like killing a cat there are just so many options that have the same result
    my two boys both work in IT they tell me anything you can buy on the high street they finished using 12 months ago ie. they use ram in multi petabyte's
    The tax man lets you write-off computer equipment in two years that lets you know how quick things get superseded
    Don't just buy for today
    I'm a silly old sod I do use the cloud for backups but I like to have a backup in the office as well - but I don't tell the boys
    Xlandman

  10. #10
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,642

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlandman View Post
    I'm a silly old sod I do use the cloud for backups but I like to have a backup in the office as well - but I don't tell the boys
    Xlandman
    And with that sensible Hampshire sentiment, its probably goodnight from him, and also goodnight from me.................
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  11. #11
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: Slow computer

    Cloud backup is a nice idea but trusting it entirely might not be wise since the service and perhaps the internet itself might somehow be made unusable for an extended period.
    Perhaps if that happened now the least of our worries would be farm accounts.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,642

    Re: Slow computer

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Cloud backup is a nice idea but trusting it entirely might not be wise since the service and perhaps the internet itself might somehow be made unusable for an extended period.
    Perhaps if that happened now the least of our worries would be farm accounts.
    Would the predicted solar flare reach the North Yorks Moors?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •