Thread: 13 pin to 7 pin trailer light adapters

13 pin to 7 pin trailer light adapters

A recently bought new trailer has the euro style plug and was supplied with an adapter - which didn't work properly from new - lights one side wouldn't work.
    A replacement was OK for a few months but now has started a similar fault, but different things not working unless you wiggle it.
    Is that par for the course?
    Buy another adapter or just change the plug to UK style?
    They start at £2.99 on ebay, those look awfully similar to ones described as 'top quality' for over £10.

Re: 13 pin to 7 pin trailer light adapters

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    A recently bought new trailer has the euro style plug and was supplied with an adapter - which didn't work properly from new - lights one side wouldn't work.
    A replacement was OK for a few months but now has started a similar fault, but different things not working unless you wiggle it.
    Is that par for the course?
    Buy another adapter or just change the plug to UK style?
    They start at £2.99 on ebay, those look awfully similar to ones described as 'top quality' for over £10.
    Unless your splashing out on a new motor as well then I'd stick a 7 pin plug on it. We've not ventured into much of the euro std wiring yet, a recent Ranger purchase was specced with "a towbar" which I see has a euro socket, don't think its had a trailer on it yet- haven't heard any cries yet!

Expect your new trailer came with LED lights? Seem to be the thing now they have got the reliability better?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

The main ones at the back are conventional but marker lights are LED.
    I decided to try one of the cheaper adapters again but suspect if it works for now there will be more problems.
    The current one which did work originally, seems rather sloppy and looser than you would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    . . . Expect your new trailer came with LED lights? Seem to be the thing now they have got the reliability better?
    I live in "snow country" and one observation on LED is since they don't draw as much electricity, they don't heat up as much thus they don't melt the snow off as well, especially on the tail lights

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

My Father bought a new trailer with the Euro socket and adaptor several years ago, nothing but bother up until I cut it off and fitted an ordinary 7 pin plug to the trailer.

I have two trailers with adapters on. My problem is the adapter is well stuck so a friend could not borrow a trailer

I suppose another option is to change the pickup to new style but it seems to cost upwards of £70 as I don't think you can just swap the female socket - it needs new wiring further back.
    There are tales of woe about adapters going back to about 2013 on caravan forums, a common problem is older caravan and car with new style plug.
    For caravans they are well worthwhile as wiring for internal things like fridge and battery charging are included, rather than needing a separate grey plug.
    Some modern cars detect - or ask if - a trailer has been attached, and will automatically adjust various things to a generally helpful towing mode.

. . . snip . . .
    Some modern cars detect - or ask if - a trailer has been attached, and will automatically adjust various things to a generally helpful towing mode.
    my 2017 Dodge Ram (7 pin) has that for the integrated brake controller I installed - you can choose type of trailer (i.e. utility, machinery, . . .), weight of trailer, number of axles, type of brake (electric, surge, .) and you have a manual override for the % of braking the truck recommends - settings are on the dash display for the speedo, manual override is on a switch integrated into the dash

I suppose another option is to change the pickup to new style but it seems to cost upwards of £70 as I don't think you can just swap the female socket - it needs new wiring further back.
    There are tales of woe about adapters going back to about 2013 on caravan forums, a common problem is older caravan and car with new style plug.
    For caravans they are well worthwhile as wiring for internal things like fridge and battery charging are included, rather than needing a separate grey plug.
    Closest I've had to get to modern stuff was the towbar I put on my VW T5 van- more for something to be towed out of wet fields. That required a half & half wiring kit to pick up the lights powered up and then supply the relevant trailer lights via a 12v feed from the battery. Doesn't interfere with the electronics sensing the extra light IIRC.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    my 2017 Dodge Ram (7 pin) has that for the integrated brake controller I installed - you can choose type of trailer (i.e. utility, machinery, . . .), weight of trailer, number of axles, type of brake (electric, surge, .) and you have a manual override for the % of braking the truck recommends - settings are on the dash display for the speedo, manual override is on a switch integrated into the dash
    Are you lot still going around with the harness connector type plug & socket? Down in the US it always looked like the end of the wiring loom had been pulled out from under the body!!

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Are you lot still going around with the harness connector type plug & socket? Down in the US it always looked like the end of the wiring loom had been pulled out from under the body!!
    Stock (OE) wiring harness - runs along the inside side of the frame integrated with the tail light wiring - accessed through the bumper - a 4 pin (Brake/signal/tail) and a 7 pin connector.

The controller i installed was an OE one that went under the dash and plugged into the OE wiring harness. $500 (cdn) from dealer or Amazon - found a US dealer selling them for well under that - cost me about $200 (cdn) landed at my US mail service.

Install myself and about $40 (cdn) to have the dealer flash the computer when they did an oil change.

Just fit a 13 pin socket to your vehicle. You can just swap the 7 pin for the 13. They’re cheap as well.
    obviously you won’t have the extra wires for charging a caravan, but no need.
    the 13 pin is a much,much,much better system than the old 7 pin.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/maypole-m...questid=476892

Then change any any other trailers you have to 13 pin plugs as well

https://www.screwfix.com/p/maypole-m...plug-12v/80486

most new trailers will use a 13 pin plug, with only 8 pins connected. The extra pin is for the reverse light if fitted.