Thread: Cow Cleansing

Cow Cleansing

I've a friend who's had a lot of heifers this year, calve, but the water bladder/cleansing has not broken and it's been a case of cut it quick before the calf suffocates.
    We've had a few occasions of this. Just one of those things or has anyone heard of a possible cause?

Re: Cow Cleansing

I don't have experience of this precise problem, but when other calving difficulties were investigated here, a selenium deficiency was identified. Annual dosing with a pair of selenium slugs has all but solved the problem. Suggest you get some blood tests done.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    I don't have experience of this precise problem, but when other calving difficulties were investigated here, a selenium deficiency was identified. Annual dosing with a pair of selenium slugs has all but solved the problem. Suggest you get some blood tests done.

JV
    Same here. We get some with thick bags which need breaking and the vet diagnosed selenium deficiency was the probable cause. We are on red sandstone which is known to be selenium deficient.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Same here. We get some with thick bags which need breaking and the vet diagnosed selenium deficiency was the probable cause. We are on red sandstone which is known to be selenium deficient.
    That's interesting,wr, about your red sandstone. On this farm, it is Tertiary basalt which seems to be the problem. I discovered a paper written in the late 40s in the US, which reported that the selenium metal was driven off as a gas during the vulcanism, thus the deficiency.

I presume your red sandstone has been derived from older rocks which were already selenium deficient, for whatever reason.

Exfarmer might come in to confirm his experience of selenium deficiency.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper