Thread: Sheep!

Sheep!

Couple of sheep management questions.

Firstly, housed ewes with lambs at foot, ranging from 2 days old upwards, mostly twins with a few triplets, ad lib high quality forage either hay or dry silage, good intakes, what would be considered a practical level of concentrate feeding while still housed? Concentrate is a decent quality but standardish ewe and lamb pellet.

Secondly, we seem to have a lamb with joint ill. Lambing pens are clean straw over fresh hydrated lime, all navals done with iodine pretty much before the wee rascals even hit the ground, have we missed something?

All advice welcome and appreciated as ever.

Re: Sheep!

I like to get them up to 1.25kg per day in 2 0r 3 feeds for 70kg ewe smaller ewes maybe 1kg . Many people double dip navels eg at birth and a couple of hours later and is your iodine 10% strength ?

Aye, 10% iodine used as supplied. We actually spray rather than dip to try to get better coverage, maybe an isolated incident but we're newish to sheep (third season) and it's freaked me out a bit as I thought we were well covered against it.

I've been working around 1kg but given that we have exceptional forage this year I want to maximise intake of that on one hand, but don't want to be miserable with them either. Son-in-law was feeding pellets ad-lib!

Thanks.

The joint ill lamb may not have had enough colostrum, or the ewe had poor quality colostrum for some reason. Were the ewes given a booster vaccination 4 weeks before lambing? This really helps with the colostrum antibodies.

I had a similar experience with this years lambing, clean straw, navel sprayed as they hit the ground and again a couple of hours later, did not ring tails or ear tag and still had one case of spinal abscess. After further research I now think I must have introduced it by putting my finger in the lambs mouth to get mucus out. In future I intend to put on fresh gloves after the ewe has delivered or use a respirator. There is always something to learn