Thread: One Australian farmers nightmare is anothers good fortune....

One Australian farmers nightmare is anothers good fortune....

I'd put a link to a nice article in the weekends "The Australian" newpaper but like the Daily Telegraph they block premium stuff.

Farmers lower down from the terrible floods earlier in northern queensland are now seeing the killer water reach the normally dry salt-lake of Lake Eyre-

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-18/lake-eyre-begins-filling-with-queensland-floodwaters/109097

Love the quote from a recipient farmer-

"We had plenty of time to prepare and we ordered a huge amount of stock in.
    "We've got plenty of beer in stock that was the very first thing we put on the truck."
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: One Australian farmers nightmare is anothers good fortune....

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    I'd put a link to a nice article in the weekends "The Australian" newpaper but like the Daily Telegraph they block premium stuff.

Farmers lower down from the terrible floods earlier in northern queensland are now seeing the killer water reach the normally dry salt-lake of Lake Eyre-

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-18/lake-eyre-begins-filling-with-queensland-floodwaters/109097

yhup - glass half full or half empty.

We are waiting now to see if we will a flood along the Saint John River (New Brunswick, Canada) like the record one we had last year. a couple of weeks ago I measured the snow at my brother's woodlot - about 3 inches less than last year (still about 4 feet though)

That quote is by the manager of the Birdsville Hotel, not a farmer.

Rupert has been diligent at preserving his revenues by setting up paywalls. 'The Australian' was once a prestige paper when it was established by Rupert Murdoch in the late 60s. It is probably still the best paper in Aus., but nowhere near as good as it was at reporting without offering opinions which (in my view) are predominently right wing.

Re the floods, there were reports that half a million (yep, 500,000) head of cattle died as a result of that 1 in whatever storm. Drowned, died of cold, stuck in mud with no energy to move, due to the drought. Aus is a hard country, and a big country. Much of the eastern inland is less than 100m above sea level so it takes weeks for flood waters to go anywhere much. I've never seen it, but I understand that the leading edge of a flood travels at about walking pace.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    That quote is by the manager of the Birdsville Hotel, not a farmer.
    There was no mention of the quote in actual physical "The Australian" paper I had read, that came from the abc news site. Luckily we avoid the aussie news, its nearly as bad as whats offered in Trumpland.

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Rupert has been diligent at preserving his revenues by setting up paywalls. 'The Australian' was once a prestige paper when it was established by Rupert Murdoch in the late 60s. It is probably still the best paper in Aus., but nowhere near as good as it was at reporting without offering opinions which (in my view) are predominently right wing.

Re the floods, there were reports that half a million (yep, 500,000) head of cattle died as a result of that 1 in whatever storm. Drowned, died of cold, stuck in mud with no energy to move, due to the drought. Aus is a hard country, and a big country. Much of the eastern inland is less than 100m above sea level so it takes weeks for flood waters to go anywhere much. I've never seen it, but I understand that the leading edge of a flood travels at about walking pace.

JV
    Hi John,

Missed all the Australian papers so had to do with a West Australian paper, being tabloid just about sums it up...................!

IIRC, The farmer interviewed by the west Australian said something along the lines that it just creeps along wetting the soil for a while before starting to spread slowly, creeping along everywhere.

Went to Mundaring Weir today where the 1st pumping station is based at the foot of the dam that supplies the Goldfields out at Kalgoorlie thru the big old 1800's pipeline across from Perth way into WA. This sign sort of sums up things a bit

There was no mention of the quote in actual physical "The Australian" paper I had read, that came from the abc news site. Luckily we avoid the aussie news, its nearly as bad as whats offered in Trumpland.
    From the ABC article you linked to

Birdsville Hotel general manager Ben Fullagar said waters were receding, and roads were now reopening.He said the town was completely isolated for about two-and-a-half weeks by a "huge expanse of water".

"We've got plenty of beer in stock that was the very first thing we put on the truck."

Hi John,

Missed all the Australian papers so had to do with a West Australian paper, being tabloid just about sums it up...................!

IIRC, The farmer interviewed by the west Australian said something along the lines that it just creeps along wetting the soil for a while before starting to spread slowly, creeping along everywhere.

Went to Mundaring Weir today where the 1st pumping station is based at the foot of the dam that supplies the Goldfields out at Kalgoorlie thru the big old 1800's pipeline across from Perth way into WA. This sign sort of sums up things a bit

The pipeline from Perth to Kalgoorlie was built by a British engineer. There are was great scepticism that they could actually pump water that far and after the line was completed and pumping started, nothing had appeared ten days later. The poor chap committed suicide. The next day the water was flowing, it had taken that long to go the distance. pumping water is a funny thing and he was relying on thew flow to take it along using the downhill stretches to pull it up the uphill, This of course takes time as all the air has to be evacuated before syphoning takes effect.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    The pipeline from Perth to Kalgoorlie was built by a British engineer. There are was great scepticism that they could actually pump water that far and after the line was completed and pumping started, nothing had appeared ten days later. The poor chap committed suicide. The next day the water was flowing, it had taken that long to go the distance. pumping water is a funny thing and he was relying on thew flow to take it along using the downhill stretches to pull it up the uphill, This of course takes time as all the air has to be evacuated before syphoning takes effect.
    The pipeline was part of the reason to visit Mundaring and pumping station No.1, we followed the pipeline on our way back from Kalgoorlie along with the railway, phone line and highway- although originally there were 8 pumping stations the water company info states there are now 24 modern ones apparently. O'connor the main engineer was Irish born but suffered under pressure from someone playing politics at his expense, sadly if O'conner had stuck it out an inquiry cleared him of all false accusations, of course theres always the $64million question of would they had an inquiry and would it of come to the same conclusion if he hadn't of topped himself?

Brave and clever people back then and also today with plenty of bottled water, showers and air-con to fall back on make you wonder how they ever managed to put up with these extreme conditions here exploring the unknown to map out how they were going to do these engineering feats?

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    From the ABC article you linked to

Birdsville Hotel general manager Ben Fullagar said waters were receding, and roads were now reopening.He said the town was completely isolated for about two-and-a-half weeks by a "huge expanse of water".

Looks like a farmer or two may have a drink to celebrate todays news of Aldi and Coles supermarkets here are thinking of ending their cut-pricing of milk with 10% rises although it seems Costco aren't ready to play ball

The pipeline was part of the reason to visit Mundaring and pumping station No.1, we followed the pipeline on our way back from Kalgoorlie along with the railway, phone line and highway- although originally there were 8 pumping stations the water company info states there are now 24 modern ones apparently. O'connor the main engineer was Irish born but suffered under pressure from someone playing politics at his expense, sadly if O'conner had stuck it out an inquiry cleared him of all false accusations, of course theres always the $64million question of would they had an inquiry and would it of come to the same conclusion if he hadn't of topped himself?

Brave and clever people back then and also today with plenty of bottled water, showers and air-con to fall back on make you wonder how they ever managed to put up with these extreme conditions here exploring the unknown to map out how they were going to do these engineering feats?
    A one word answer: gold!

There was a novel written around a character rather like O'Connor, and I cannot for the life of me remember it's title. the story went that he was a farm worker who worked in England "irrigating" fields by flooding them. He knew when to apply the water, and also when to drain the water off - a rare skill. He travelled to W.A. and somehow, was mixed up in the construction of the pipeline, and (from memory) drowned himself in one of the surge tanks.

I hope someone can sort all that out, coz not being able to remember the details is annoying me

JV

Looks like a farmer or two may have a drink to celebrate todays news of Aldi and Coles supermarkets here are thinking of ending their cut-pricing of milk with 10% rises although it seems Costco aren't ready to play ball
    Coles (the #2 supermarket) and Aldi have announced they are increasing shelf prices of their $1/L house brand milk by 10% from yesterday. Following the Woolworth's (the #1) action a week or so ago. Big deal!

Coles started the war about 8 years (?) ago when it imported a UK manager who started the rot. Although only a relatively small percentage of Aus milk production ends up in bottles, more than a few dairymen were forced out of the industry. The 10% increase will help those remaining a smidgeon, but it is mostly a marketing and image enhancement program by the majors. A non-house milk brand here sells for around $2/L. BTW (for FF) Coles was owned by Wesfarmers (Bunnings owners) but was spun off a few weeks ago as a separate publicly listed company. Share price has jiggled around a bit since, but is still around the opening price of $11 (I think).

And for UK readers, Bunnings bought Homebase, could not make it work in the Bunnings image & sold it for 1!

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 21-03-19 at 12:01 PM. Reason: more info

Not meaning to demean any Irishman, I was unaware he was actually born in Ireland , but he would of course have been British then

There was a novel written around a character rather like O'Connor, and I cannot for the life of me remember it's title. the story went that he was a farm worker who worked in England "irrigating" fields by flooding them. He knew when to apply the water, and also when to drain the water off - a rare skill. He travelled to W.A. and somehow, was mixed up in the construction of the pipeline, and (from memory) drowned himself in one of the surge tanks.

I hope someone can sort all that out, coz not being able to remember the details is annoying me

JV
    The practice of flood irrigation was widespread on water meadows in the UK. it had several purposes apart from the obvious. It could, done rightly actually warm the soil, but it was also used to bring nutrients and occasionally to raise the land level , called warping.
    however the technology of this flood irrigation was called Drowning and a skilled man a Drowner.
    We used to own and rent over 200 acres of flood meadow and my father always lamented the day they put a large sewage works up stream as before that their were far more nutrients in the flood water, AKA human effluent

The practice of flood irrigation was widespread on water meadows in the UK. it had several purposes apart from the obvious. It could, done rightly actually warm the soil, but it was also used to bring nutrients and occasionally to raise the land level , called warping.
    however the technology of this flood irrigation was called Drowning and a skilled man a Drowner.
    We used to own and rent over 200 acres of flood meadow and my father always lamented the day they put a large sewage works up stream as before that their were far more nutrients in the flood water, AKA human effluent
    I worry about you Ex! Sticking your tongue out like that in close proximity to those words

Re the novel, I wonder if the title didn't include the word Drowner? Rings a faint bell.

JV

I worry about you Ex! Sticking your tongue out like that in close proximity to those words

Re the novel, I wonder if the title didn't include the word Drowner? Rings a faint bell.

JV
    Do you mean "The Drowner" by Robert Drewe about a man who travels to Australia etc.

Coles (the #2 supermarket) and Aldi have announced they are increasing shelf prices of their $1/L house brand milk by 10% from yesterday. Following the Woolworth's (the #1) action a week or so ago. Big deal!

Coles started the war about 8 years (?) ago when it imported a UK manager who started the rot. Although only a relatively small percentage of Aus milk production ends up in bottles, more than a few dairymen were forced out of the industry. The 10% increase will help those remaining a smidgeon, but it is mostly a marketing and image enhancement program by the majors. A non-house milk brand here sells for around $2/L. BTW (for FF) Coles was owned by Wesfarmers (Bunnings owners) but was spun off a few weeks ago as a separate publicly listed company. Share price has jiggled around a bit since, but is still around the opening price of $11 (I think).

And for UK readers, Bunnings bought Homebase, could not make it work in the Bunnings image & sold it for 1!

JV
    You beat me to it John, read the ozzie business section after posting the above while waiting to go to the local pub for a very nice 400g of Oz rump, see its going to be a bit difficult divvying the extra money between the producers because of where and to whom they sell their milk

Interesting that the customers in Coles seem to of accepted that they don't have the given right to endless one use carrier bags after all!

And as for Bunnings, maybe they will make up the loss from their selling price also being tied to the profit the new owners get on selling, bit the big loss was to the UK DIY market in the end, if they had managed to make things work they would of sharpened up the opposition's game, as it is now there is a chance that their debacle may still sharpen the opposition and homebase Mk2?

Do you mean "The Drowner" by Robert Drewe about a man who travels to Australia etc.
    My word, I think you've got it! . Read the synopsis on Google & I think that's it. Well spotted! If I had a Koala Stamp I'd send it by carrier pigeon

JV

Hi John,

My daughter and a pal bought an old Holden pickup and drove around Australia. During that trip they obviously drove that long road, along the way she took a photograph of that dreary 700 mile long road, and being the professional she is, made a very impressive photo. My late wife and I followedpart of her 17000 mile trip, Bout 12000 miles of it.
    Wonderful memories!
    Jack Caley

My word, I think you've got it! . Read the synopsis on Google & I think that's it. Well spotted! If I had a Koala Stamp I'd send it by carrier pigeon

JV
    Where would we be without Google

JV
    Bit on wiki about him here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Y._O%27Connor

'The Drowner' was written by Robert Drewe.

Where would we be without Google
    Saw a sign the other day

"I don't need google, my wife knows everything"

and beside it was another one

"I don't need google, my husband knows everything"

(Gotta be PC, eH?)