Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowhammers.

Yellowhammers.

Not the ones for nails.
    Saw a flight of at least fifty this afternoon...
    Shifting some sheep troughs this afternoon...disturbed them from a late lunch.
    Seem to turn up every year about now then you only see the odd pair, guessing they are yet to pair up.
    Strange how they are on the RSPB catastrophic decline list....unless of course all the yellowhammers in the country are on our place!

Re: Yellowhammers.

Hmm..more to this than meets the eye - or ear!

https://theconversation.com/yellowha...-the-eu-103066

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Hmm..more to this than meets the eye - or ear!

https://theconversation.com/yellowha...-the-eu-103066

JV
    Just read the article and it left me wondering - If they winter within 5 miles of their breeding grounds, just where do they winter? Do they hide-out in bushes? Or??

I know some of the sparrows on this side of the pond used to congregate in old barns (getting fewer and fewer every year), abandoned homesteads, . . .

Years ago I remember seeing hundreds dead in patches on the road between Goole and Swinefleet. Not just once but many times over a period of years. All road kill.

There are mostly around a dozen pairs of these beautiful little birds at my brother's farm from early spring to about end of May. They feed on milled wheat in the cattle sheds and when they see you they fly to the nearby hedge. I really ought to try and video them. Saw my first 3 swallows of 2019 on Tuesday (2nd April) Great to see them back.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Maybe the RSPB should come to the North East. We often see birds they claim to be struggling breeding in abundance round here. Yellowhammers being an example

Siskins on the bird table this week. Never saw those years ago. must be those modern farming methods the media always go on about

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Maybe the RSPB should come to the North East. We often see birds they claim to be struggling breeding in abundance round here. Yellowhammers being an example

Siskins on the bird table this week. Never saw those years ago. must be those modern farming methods the media always go on about
    Just had a look at RSPB web page
    Lots of things blame allegedly - when did anyone last dig a hedge out etc etc
    Could find not mention of our black & white friends who clean up ground nesters & the profusion of hooky beak birds

Moving on a bit......wild life we see that is terminally in decline........according to the experts!

Bit of a Hare get together last week......Seven Hares altogether in the Winter Barley...in the far far North WB still has a way to go....the sight of seven heads and fourteen ears sticking up above the Barley was quite amusing.
    Could be the decline is because Brown Hares have all moved to our place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Moving on a bit......wild life we see that is terminally in decline........according to the experts!

Bit of a Hare get together last week......Seven Hares altogether in the Winter Barley...in the far far North WB still has a way to go....the sight of seven heads and fourteen ears sticking up above the Barley was quite amusing.
    I used to see loads of golden plovers on my winter ploughed land, it was always a rush to get the crop sown before they had their nests in the furrows. Now the land is all grass and they are nowhere to be seen. Certainly a number of years ago when the RSPB was complaining about their decline I had thought of getting in touch to tell them where they could see loads of them , but I thought better of it in case they would start telling me how to crop my farm.

Hi Gee,

Nipped off to Gotts, local landrover specalists down here, got to 4pm and sorted out parts orders so nipped off to collect a few bit ordered from Gotts, across town to the M3 and up 1 junction, cut thru the end of Odiham and on out past the RAF base where the Chinooks operate from, just past the airfield perimeter where the other side of the road in a large stubble field a big heap of what looked like sludge had been spread over 50% of the field, when I got to where they had run out mid-field i spotted a big old bird sat upright, another glimpse through the hedge confirmed a Buzzard, doing their usual thing of standing there looking over their manor.

On the way back having picked up the bits I got to the field again and this time being closer to the hedge spotted "matey" still stood there, then another, and another, trying to keep one eye on the road and glimpsing back and forth I'm certain of 14 confirmed Buzzards, if I could of stopped, maybe a couple more? but 14 I'm 100% sure of, all spaced out to attention in the stubble!

We have seen double figures of buzzards and Red Kites right over the other side of town on a field adjoining the Duke Of Wellingtons estate, but I've never seen as many buzzards in one heap as this afternoon! Red Kites are everywhere here and there in the Thames valley.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Buzzard convention?
    Plenty of Buzzards here....not very sociable with each other though.
    Often think they have reached max level. Rabbits have pretty well been all eaten. The only ones we see now are around the farm buildings or a house, places where buzzards tend not to hunt.
    14 buzzards at once though!

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Hi Gee,

Nipped off to Gotts, local landrover specalists down here, got to 4pm and sorted out parts orders so nipped off to collect a few bit ordered from Gotts, across town to the M3 and up 1 junction, cut thru the end of Odiham and on out past the RAF base where the Chinooks operate from, just past the airfield perimeter where the other side of the road in a large stubble field a big heap of what looked like sludge had been spread over 50% of the field, when I got to where they had run out mid-field i spotted a big old bird sat upright, another glimpse through the hedge confirmed a Buzzard, doing their usual thing of standing there looking over their manor.

On the way back having picked up the bits I got to the field again and this time being closer to the hedge spotted "matey" still stood there, then another, and another, trying to keep one eye on the road and glimpsing back and forth I'm certain of 14 confirmed Buzzards, if I could of stopped, maybe a couple more? but 14 I'm 100% sure of, all spaced out to attention in the stubble!

We have seen double figures of buzzards and Red Kites right over the other side of town on a field adjoining the Duke Of Wellingtons estate, but I've never seen as many buzzards in one heap as this afternoon! Red Kites are everywhere here and there in the Thames valley.
    I am assuming that is 27 squadron operating the Chinooks.
    That was my old squadron, operating Canberras in the fifties.
    We have buzzards up here, never had them in my youth, maybe that is why we have less small birds , now, as well as the magpies.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I am assuming that is 27 squadron operating the Chinooks.
    That was my old squadron, operating Canberras in the fifties.
    We have buzzards up here, never had them in my youth, maybe that is why we have less small birds , now, as well as the magpies.
    jack caley
    You assume right Jack, had to google them - would of known in the old days before the town carnival stopped, Odiham would fly a Wessex in to the town park during the week and be present in the processions, now we just see the Chinooks using the area for training- pretty sure the lime quarry is one favourite landmark they navigate on so they often come pretty low and do exercises in the old Buffer Depot thats now a training ground next door to the farm- the govenment took over a whole farm during WW1 and never gave it back, building the depot there, we farmed it as setaside for years but now its just left to the army which I think is one hotspot for Red kites and Buzzards round here- if it not a roost for them it certainly is a haven for their dietary needs- rabbits everywhere so they shouldn't go hungry.

As an aside, I'm working outside the workshops on the landrover and across the yard I can watch our swallows inspecting home after returning yesterday, they are bombing around the yard and swooping up into the old brick "vernacular" buildings as the NT call them. Its taken them a long time for them to nest properly after the trust redid the roof some years ago. didn't like being mucked about it think.

Buzzard convention?
    Plenty of Buzzards here....not very sociable with each other though.
    Often think they have reached max level. Rabbits have pretty well been all eaten. The only ones we see now are around the farm buildings or a house, places where buzzards tend not to hunt.
    14 buzzards at once though!
    It's a fair sized field so there was plenty of room for them to be spread out, when we have seen them on the land rented nearby the Dukes estate during drilling they mix but do keep their distance from one another though.

Long time ago when we used to lamp rabbits we came across a badgers convention in the dark, quite a rolling valley of a field and there were all these dirty/grubby brocks mooching all over the place- quantity escapes me but it was into double figures. The same farm was where in the 50's one of the old farmhands now long gone witnessed a strange noise in the stubbles of a field where they had a sort of freerange chicken setup at the time, over the brow of the hill came a swarm of rats- he always reckoned it was like water flowing where there were so many of them, they just went on their way taking their noise with them and then gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    You assume right Jack, had to google them - would of known in the old days before the town carnival stopped, Odiham would fly a Wessex in to the town park during the week and be present in the processions, now we just see the Chinooks using the area for training- pretty sure the lime quarry is one favourite landmark they navigate on so they often come pretty low and do exercises in the old Buffer Depot thats now a training ground next door to the farm- the govenment took over a whole farm during WW1 and never gave it back, building the depot there, we farmed it as setaside for years but now its just left to the army which I think is one hotspot for Red kites and Buzzards round here- if it not a roost for them it certainly is a haven for their dietary needs- rabbits everywhere so they shouldn't go hungry.

As an aside, I'm working outside the workshops on the landrover and across the yard I can watch our swallows inspecting home after returning yesterday, they are bombing around the yard and swooping up into the old brick "vernacular" buildings as the NT call them. Its taken them a long time for them to nest properly after the trust redid the roof some years ago. didn't like being mucked about it think.
    There is a 27 squadron association, but there are very few of us oldies left. I am in contact with one who lives in Market Harborough. I have tried to find others before, with little success. There were three farmers sons, all of which drove the squadron lorry on different shifts. One was called Denis Human, from near Cambridge, the other John Hurry from Essex I think.
    They will both be in their 80,s if they still alive. If any one on the forum knows those names, I would appreciate.
    jack caley

Apparently we have a couple of yellowhammers here in Holderness!
    jack caley

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

I see lots of so called 'rare' birds and reptiles however the experts tell us that they are endangered.
    Perhaps its because these experts never start a day before 11.00 am, just a thought.
    However what I do firmly believe is a major threat to our wee birds is bloody cats and f'ing magpies.
    Houses along the road will average 2 moggies per house. Vicious bastards. Most of these houses have bird feeders and can be seen each morning before they go off to work topping up the feeders. They obviously think they are playing a major part in the safe keeping of our precious birds. However their f'ing cats lie in wait for the unsuspecting avian and slaughter a huge number. This as witnessed by the feathers I see blowing about during the later part of the day.
    They also have the mantra that 'aren't Magpies lovely, so cheeky'. I get my Larsen trap smashed and berated for killing them. But these black and white buggers eat numerous baby birds out of the nest. And don't get me started on the grey tree rats. another culprit but sooooo lovely to the urbanites.
    25 kg of poison they have eaten this winter so they won' bother too many young birds this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    I see lots of so called 'rare' birds and reptiles however the experts tell us that they are endangered.
    Perhaps its because these experts never start a day before 11.00 am, just a thought.
    However what I do firmly believe is a major threat to our wee birds is bloody cats and f'ing magpies.
    Houses along the road will average 2 moggies per house. Vicious bastards. Most of these houses have bird feeders and can be seen each morning before they go off to work topping up the feeders. They obviously think they are playing a major part in the safe keeping of our precious birds. However their f'ing cats lie in wait for the unsuspecting avian and slaughter a huge number. This as witnessed by the feathers I see blowing about during the later part of the day.
    They also have the mantra that 'aren't Magpies lovely, so cheeky'. I get my Larsen trap smashed and berated for killing them. But these black and white buggers eat numerous baby birds out of the nest. And don't get me started on the grey tree rats. another culprit but sooooo lovely to the urbanites.
    25 kg of poison they have eaten this winter so they won' bother too many young birds this spring.
    We stopped feeding the birds, because all it did was provide a food source for marauding hawks
    jack caley

Watching a fight between a squirrel and a rat at a bird feeder passed an interesting hour and a half a couple of winters ago. The lady stopped feeding her birds after that. The next door neighbour did not though.

Pretty lucky....not too many White Settlers around here...still in the minority.
    Plus some pretty hard Keepering around about keeps the predators down.
    Lost the Red squirrels this last year or so....had quite a good population...pretty well gone, see the odd grey around now.
    Herons not uncommon, difficult to put a number on them, but quite often seen.
    Skylarks just coming into their time....plenty of them.
    I see Natural England have withdrawn the licence to shoot certain types of Crows, Pigeons and some others as pests.
    I suppose numbers of them will be low around their Westminster Office Block.
    Local crow residence population density is huge....one tree currently has around eight substantial nests in it, not a huge tree just your normal Spruce...Pine sort of thing.

Pretty lucky....not too many White Settlers around here...still in the minority.
    Plus some pretty hard Keepering around about keeps the predators down.
    Lost the Red squirrels this last year or so....had quite a good population...pretty well gone, see the odd grey around now.
    Herons not uncommon, difficult to put a number on them, but quite often seen.
    Skylarks just coming into their time....plenty of them.
    I see Natural England have withdrawn the licence to shoot certain types of Crows, Pigeons and some others as pests.
    Local crow residence population density is huge....one tree currently has around eight substantial nests in it, not a huge tree just your normal Spruce...Pine sort of thing.
    We had a gamekeeper for Yorkshire estate stay on our caravan site last weekend.
    This year he has shot 200 carrion crows.
    jack caley
    Presumably the carrion crows live off song birds as well as pheasant chicks.

Skylarks singing today.....

Skylarks singing today.....
    One of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCFVl4KYd4Q

And possibly one of the best of many versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSjd9ysbVM

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Current garden occupants....
    Pair of French Partridges.....nesting somewhere in the garden.
    Pair of Pheasants.....she is nesting somewhere but as yet undetected.
    One juvenile Brown Hare....yearly occurrence....deposited annually by Mother.
    Appeared at the full length glass door last evening.....stood up on the back legs and peered in to see what was going on.
    Plus pairs of Thrush.....Robin....Blackbird.....various Finches.....various Tits......pair of Collared Doves....
    The list goes on.

Going back to the mention of buzzards and kites, this made me smile today. Spotted in Marlow, Buckinghamshire. Being on the edge of the Chiltern hills where they started the Red Kite regeneration programmes some years ago has come at a bit of an unexpected cost! Their explosion here must explain where the higher numbers we have been seeing now in our area.

As a breeder if british birds yellow hammers which i have kept and bred in the past.
    Very rare to see in my area but do see more in the winter.Also greenfinches very rarely to
    see one hear the odd one ere and there,rare to see young goldfinches this year.Seem to be doing well round norfolk.

Atb
    Ged

Breeding season over....nice flock of about Fifty Lapwings rising off some Permanent Pasture.
    Maybe half a dozen pairs arrived in the spring....maybe one or two more.
    But a pretty good return.

Lapwing numbers seem to have crashed here, which seems odd as there are more Curlews than ever, and we have a new population of Oystercatchers despite being about 12 miles inland.
    Having said that when hay bales were being cleared 2 or 3 weeks back a substantial flock of around 100 were on those fields for several days.
    The obvious difference (for Lapwings) is that no spring barley has been grown for the past three years, they certainly liked being in there but you often saw hatched chicks in sheep fields too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Lapwing numbers seem to have crashed here, which seems odd as there are more Curlews than ever, and we have a new population of Oystercatchers despite being about 12 miles inland.
    Having said that when hay bales were being cleared 2 or 3 weeks back a substantial flock of around 100 were on those fields for several days.
    The obvious difference (for Lapwings) is that no spring barley has been grown for the past three years, they certainly liked being in there but you often saw hatched chicks in sheep fields too.
    Yep a bit of bare ground in the spring is pretty well essential for Lapwings nesting.
    Two pairs of Oyster Catchers nested with us....not optimistic about their success....one pair do not help themselves by nesting in the silage pit every year.
    Pair of Curlews somewhere near....heard them and occasional sighting of one. Spent a few days in Yorkshire in June...around Wensley....Reeth ...Grinton, never seen more Curlews than I did up on the moors around that area.
    This morning something I have never seen before, around here half a dozen Swifts.....couldn’t figure out what the noise was....