Thread: Well someone's got to mention this...................................

Well someone's got to mention this...................................

As from midnight tonight (24/04/2019) no one in England is allowed to shoot pigeons, crows, magpies, Canada geese, in total 16 bird species without a licence, which isn't yet available, thanks to that arch pillock Chris. Packham. Larsen traps are also outlawed. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...tQLBRFO7GPRrZI More here : https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/ge...tED92X4cNbhoGk

If nothing else may I urge everyone to sign this petition to the BBC to dismiss this enemy of the English countryside. https://www.change.org/p/bbc-bbc-to-..._bandit_var=v0

Re: Well someone's got to mention this...................................

how as this seemingly happen so fast you couldnt stop anything else that quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    how as this seemingly happen so fast you couldnt stop anything else that quickly
    As I understand it the reason is that all wild birds were always protected by law but a government a long time ago decided that certain species would be exempt from the protection. It now appears that that exemption has been revoked which means that the 16 species mentioned are now protected. At least that's how I understand it anyway. What it has meant of course is that it wasn't a matter of passing a new law and all the Parliamentary time involved with such a process, it was just a case of removing the exemption from an already existing law. I stand to be corrected on any of that of course.

Nice to know our local constabulary have the time and finance to tackle this serious crime.
    Received this morning from Local force by email...

Vermin Shoots - Revocation of Natural England General Licences

The killing of all wild birds is contrary to Section 1 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981. However the killing of pest species like pigeons, crows, gulls etc. has until now been permitted by General Licences issued by Natural England the body under the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) responsible for licensing such activity.

As of today Thursday 25 April 2019, Natural England will revoke the general licences that in effect permit “vermin shoots” by licensed firearms holder, without a need to individually apply for such a licence.

Persons who call Northumbria Police to report that they will be “vermin shooting” or any similar activity that involves killing birds: -
    1. Will be told that the general licences that permit such activity have been revoked.
    2. Will be asked if they have personally applied for a licence from Natural England to carry out this activity.
    3. If the answer to 2 above is no, they will be advised that they may be committing offences of killing wild birds contrary to Section 1 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 if they continue with their intentions without the appropriate licence.

It is advisable to check the Natural England website for more information and to apply for a personal licence.
    Natural England: - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...g-requirements

***Please note that this applies to birds only***

Can it be commented to the fact the Tomny Juniper, that well renowned friend of farming and all things connected to the countryside, has been appointed to be head of natural England.
    A combination of Chris Packham, Mark Avery sending in a legal challenge to the General licence and his appointment being a coincidence his ridiculous. It is a well timed attack on Agriculture and ids the opening salvo from the environmental groups as we leave the EU.
    They know that British agriculture is very weak and they are going to do everything they can to enforce a very green agenda on to us. We dean expect far more of this to come.
    Certainly in the future we can expect that every one who wants rot control corvids or pigeons will have to purchase a licence, giving reasons for the use and then will probably be time limited and costly!
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Nice to know our local constabulary have the time and finance to tackle this serious crime.
    Received this morning from Local force by email...

Vermin Shoots - Revocation of Natural England General Licences

The killing of all wild birds is contrary to Section 1 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981. However the killing of pest species like pigeons, crows, gulls etc. has until now been permitted by General Licences issued by Natural England the body under the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) responsible for licensing such activity.

As of today Thursday 25 April 2019, Natural England will revoke the general licences that in effect permit “vermin shoots” by licensed firearms holder, without a need to individually apply for such a licence.

Persons who call Northumbria Police to report that they will be “vermin shooting” or any similar activity that involves killing birds: -
    1. Will be told that the general licences that permit such activity have been revoked.
    2. Will be asked if they have personally applied for a licence from Natural England to carry out this activity.
    3. If the answer to 2 above is no, they will be advised that they may be committing offences of killing wild birds contrary to Section 1 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 if they continue with their intentions without the appropriate licence.

It is advisable to check the Natural England website for more information and to apply for a personal licence.
    Natural England: - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...g-requirements

***Please note that this applies to birds only***

Someone close to me was beaten up when he discovered burglars. He dare not report it to the police because, either they will do nothing, or the will over react. If they overreact the burglars will attack the family.
    Presumably the police in Northumberland will react to shooting birds because it is easy and transparent.
    jack caley

To coin a phrase....”The culprits will be sitting ducks”!
    Catch the easy ones first!

for someone to be prosecuted, it will require a complaint to be made to the police first, then it will need evidence. For the police to investigate they will have to deploy an armed tactical squad to the middle of nowhere to apprehend a chap who walked away two hours before they ever had the helicopter launched.
    I would not be overly concerned, it is all politics
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    for someone to be prosecuted, it will require a complaint to be made to the police first, then it will need evidence. For the police to investigate they will have to deploy an armed tactical squad to the middle of nowhere to apprehend a chap who walked away two hours before they ever had the helicopter launched.
    I would not be overly concerned, it is all politics
    Exactly what happened next door.
    Sunday morning, local lad was shooting pigeons on stubble - with permision.
    Someone from the posh houses 1/2 mile away heard him, rang plods.
    3 cars & helicopter appeared.
    Lad was not concerned till a voice from the helicopter demanded he put down his gun & lie face down.

Bunch of idiots

Dead birds tied to Chris Packham's fence as farmers and pest controllers protest against shooting ban
    Dead crows have been tied by their necks to Chris Packham's gate after the BBC presenter successfully campaigned for Natural England to revoke its general licences to shoot "pest" birds.

Read in The Telegraph: https://apple.news/APjiMSvT8SMuPLbdc5Tq4ag

Looks like someone is starting a gibbet on his gate. I used to get 6d (that's old pennies - 2.5p today) for a pair of magpie wings from the keeper. But a box of .410 cartridges was 4/-6d (four shillings and six pence) in those days. 221/2p today.
    Last edited by zaza; 12-05-19 at 05:36 PM.

Yesterday I went to have a look at the bird life on our pond/lake and was delighted to see a pair of dabchicks with a couple of tiny little chicks swimming frantically following their parents. I really enjoyed watching them, but hovering overhead were carrion crows and magpies in the distance.
    I wonder if Chris Packham would protect the crows or the dabchicks?
    jack caley

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

I am about to drain and reseed a field which was in kale last year and grazed off with cattle.
    I have 2 peewit (lapwing) nests both sitting on 4 eggs each. The field will not be ploughed and worked until these have hatched. Both nests are marked with sticks.
    Last years kale field had 2 peewit nests one with 4 eggs and one with 3 chicks. None survived. Corbies, Magpies and Mr FOX did for all.
    This year the order is out to my shooters to destroy any corbie/magpie/fox they see anywhere near these nests.
    So FU Mr Packman you arse.

The Bishop of Bath and Wells ........at least the one who appeared in the Blackadder series had a remedy for people whom he didn't much care for.....
    Very similar views were held by a certain Livestock dealer in this part of the world (the phrase "this part of the world" is to be taken very loosely)
    Both as I remember it they both held great faith in the use of "OF A RED HOT POKER"!
    Not for me to go into the details....but I am sure you can think of where they were heading.
    Thoughts of it concerned Blackadder more than once!

Update. Now only 6 eggs, corbies or magpies have taken 2 eggs from one of the nests.
    Fingers crossed that the rest at least hatch out.

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Update. Now only 6 eggs, corbies or magpies have taken 2 eggs from one of the nests.
    Fingers crossed that the rest at least hatch out.
    I am not familiar with peewit (lapwing) - Is there any kind of protection which could be put over the nest to protect it from corbies or magpies and still give the parents access?

Maybe an opportunity for a Masters or PHD student research project?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I am not familiar with peewit (lapwing) - Is there any kind of protection which could be put over the nest to protect it from corbies or magpies and still give the parents access?

Maybe an opportunity for a Masters or PHD student research project?
    Could I suggest a hide with 24 hour guard and a 12 bore?
    jack caley

One of the problems with the peewit (lapwing or green plover) is that they usually make their nests in open ground. And also not usually much to the nest, often just a scrape with little nesting material. Easily seen from above when you consider the excellent eyesight of members of the corvidae family.
    Last edited by zaza; 04-05-19 at 08:15 PM.

Just for Ironhead, Vanellus vanellus of the Plover family.

I have learned that Peewits will continue to lay if they lose eggs so hopefully the 2 lost eggs will be replaced however they only have 1 clutch per season.

My shooters have told me to, on no account, tell anyone else about the nests. They maintain that the tree huggers do more harm than good in terms of preserving these species.

They are actually wonderful to watch, must be becoming a sentimental old bastard. But none of you dare spread this about me I don't want folk to think I'm going soft!

You're not "going soft" at all Lalans. You appreciate the beautifull bird that is the lapwing, the same as the rest of us on here. I used to see loads of them years ago but haven't seen one for ages now. I do miss them and their call.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    You're not "going soft" at all Lalans. You appreciate the beautifull bird that is the lapwing, the same as the rest of us on here. I used to see loads of them years ago but haven't seen one for ages now. I do miss them and their call.
    Hmmm
    Around here about a dozen pair will turn up late spring.....nesting on any bare field ground.
    Given some decent weather they seem to mostly manage two hatchings. Resulting in a flock of perhaps 50+ during the later parts of the year.
    Saw the local Curlew yesterday......heard them calling for about a month or so in the evenings.....place where the the cows drink in a small stream....Curlew was enjoying the easy pickings in the mud.
    Never ever have more than one pair around.....during winter I have seen a flock of fifty plus near the coast on some marshy field land.
    Usual pair of Oyster Catchers been here for a couple of months now.....determined nesters they choose our earth walled silage pit for a site. How long do Oyster Catchers live? Had what I suppose are this pair for several years now. Chosen spot last year was on top of a round bale (on end) that was placed on top of the pit sheet covering the remaining silage.
    A quiet windless night last night resulted in an Owl chorus.......Plenty of Barn Owls around plus a few Tawnys......they were certainly going at it last night.
    Oh and the Yellow Hammers have reappeared....about ten hanging around the sheep feed troughs getting a bit of feed. Skipping off to the hedge when I appeared.

This morning Tony Juniper was on the Today programme, interviewed by John Humphrys. Humphrys was hardly likely to be his usual aggressive self against one of his own. Juniper was not apologetic and was sticking to his story. As a parting shot he also said this country is reforming subsidies. I do not like the influence of the environmentalist lobby on Gove, for the future. OK we know Subsidies will go, especially to pay for other pet projects, but these people do not understand the full picture, and the reason the subsidies were their in the first place.
    I have written to the Today programme asking who is going to protect my songbirds. I await an answer.
    jack caley

I think you might have to wait till hell freezes over Jack

We have Lapwing here but the Swallows are in short supply and for the first time for a number of years I heard a cuckoo last week