Thread: on the land - Eastern Canada

on the land - Eastern Canada

Just returned form my annual drive from New Brunswick (Canada) through Quebec to Ottawa (Ontario). I also made a quick trip to North-Eastern New York State (USA).

Over 700 miles (~1300 Km) through the potato belt of New Brunswick, the Dairy belt on the South side of the St Lawrence Seaway and the flat lands of the Ottawa River valley. The only group I saw working the land was a group of (I think) Amish Farmers in north-Eastern NY State spreading manure on a field with with a spreader hauled with a team of horses.

Seems like some of the "old technology" may still be worth keeping around

Re: on the land - Eastern Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Just returned form my annual drive from New Brunswick (Canada) through Quebec to Ottawa (Ontario). I also made a quick trip to North-Eastern New York State (USA).

Over 700 miles (~1300 Km) through the potato belt of New Brunswick, the Dairy belt on the South side of the St Lawrence Seaway and the flat lands of the Ottawa River valley. The only group I saw working the land was a group of (I think) Amish Farmers in north-Eastern NY State spreading manure on a field with with a spreader hauled with a team of horses.

Seems like some of the "old technology" may still be worth keeping around
    When would normal spring work start in Eastern Canada?
    Alberta I think does not start very early. My great uncle who farmed near Edmonton used to dream about what he called one hundred day wheat. The season there is short but intense. They would knock the snow off stocks to thresh them then!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    When would normal spring work start in Eastern Canada?
    Alberta I think does not start very early. My great uncle who farmed near Edmonton used to dream about what he called one hundred day wheat. The season there is short but intense. They would knock the snow off stocks to thresh them then!
    jack caley
    Well, we have to wait until the flood is over (bad flood 2 years in a row) and the land dries out - the land has to "warm up" for anything to grow - often the temperature has remain near or above 10C for seeds to start - generally this means late May.

I was into Eastern Maine (State of Maine, USA) on the weekend - it looked like about half of the fields on higher ground had been worked - lower lying areas still seem to be wet.

and it is still cold at nights - most often lower single digit Celsius (3 - 7 C)

Re: on the land - Eastern Canada - update

I was into Eastern Maine (State of Maine, USA) on the weekend - it looked like about half of the fields on higher ground had been worked - lower lying areas still seem to be wet.

and it is still cold at nights - most often lower single digit Celsius (3 - 7 C)
    News from South-West Ontario

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...ario-1.5190119

weather here has been proper upside down. Perhaps the walk in the park last summer is making this year seem worse?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

That's what I call cold.

I was over again last weekend and one farmer was advertising "new potatoes" for sale - likely just little tiny ones

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    weather here has been proper upside down. Perhaps the walk in the park last summer is making this year seem worse?
    Makes you realise just how fortunate this country is, a temperate climate, and a substantial percentage of fertile land. Of course the weather is never perfect, especially on this east coast, but we usually win through in the end.
    As you say, last year was a walk in the park, we are just finalising the accounts, and they show a record total for last year, on our small acreage. We had a good crop last year, all wheat of different varieties, which all went undried in our own wagon to the bioethanal plant locally. I am crossing my fingers now for this harvest, which looking the best I have probably ever seen it. The bioethanol plant has closed and wheat is 40 per tonne less, so I am wondering what else the good lord will do now to prevent a repeat of last years wonderful performance.
    We might even have to pay some tax on last year!
    jack caley

I have friends near Edmonton who tell me they are having a bad summer.
    jack caley