Thread: Oil seal on a teagle topper.

Oil seal on a teagle topper.

I have an 8ft off-set Teagle topper and one of the gearboxes that drives one of the blades is leaking oil so it's new seal time. But I am strugglilng with getting the gearbox off the topper and wonder if anyone can help. I have the parts book but no manual.

Basically I have removed the blade carrier No. 7 in this diagram and and I now need to remove a "gearbox adaptor" No. 8. g-box1.JPG

There is no grubscrew in No. 8 and I can just make out some splines in it but can't see any on the shaft because the shaft is threaded up to as far as I can see. I expected to be able to get No.8 off the bottom of the shaft and then undo the 4 gearbox bolts and lift it out of the top of the frame.

This shows the shaft that drops down from the gearbox and it must be splined with No.8 because when I turn No. 8 it turns everything in the gearbox above as well as the other rotor and blade.

But I can't shift it and I thought I would ask on here if anyone has any knowledge about this subject before I start to get stroppy with it. TIA for any help or advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zaza; 27-04-19 at 08:04 PM.

Re: Oil seal on a teagle topper.

Looks like it's time for a hydraulic puller or maybe the blue flame. On any toppers I've been at,that bit usually falls off the splines when the bottom nut is removed.

The way the shaft is drawn with a taper and then those parallel lines down either side make me think that its a tapered multi-spline shaft & hub, if its been on there since the year dot and has remained secure the odds are that its going to be the hydraulic pullers and possibly even a touch of gas to pop it off the splines.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thank you Gentlemen. I had sort of reached the same conclusion that both of you have insofar as it's time for a puller or the gas axe. I just asked in case anyone had hit this problem before. I probably should have said that it is a Comer LF 205 gearbox.

Yup, tapered splines on our Comer gearboxes. I put new seals in last year and the puller was needed but they came off with not too much effort. Watch out, the knife holders are heavy if you're working under the topper. I tipped ours up on its side.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Yup, tapered splines on our Comer gearboxes. I put new seals in last year and the puller was needed but they came off with not too much effort. Watch out, the knife holders are heavy if you're working under the topper. I tipped ours up on its side.
    Thank you wr. That was very useful. I have the topper resting on a trailer at the back and attached to a tractor at the front with the top link still attached. I had thought about tipping it on it's side but would have had to do that outside as the workshop is full at the moment and at least while it's still attached to a tractor I can pull it out of the workshop if something else has to come in.

You are correct, the knife holders are quite heavy so I took the big nut off first and then put it back on a few threads, making sure that it was free to turn. Then I took the 4 nuts & bolts out that hold the "gearbox adaptor (No. 8)" to the knife holder and because it was only being held by the big nut I was able to undo that with one hand and lower the knife holder with the other but it was a bit fiddly.

I'm not sure if I have a puller that will do the job but it should be easy enough to make one. Watch this space !

Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Thank you wr. That was very useful. I have the topper resting on a trailer at the back and attached to a tractor at the front with the top link still attached. I had thought about tipping it on it's side but would have had to do that outside as the workshop is full at the moment and at least while it's still attached to a tractor I can pull it out of the workshop if something else has to come in.

You are correct, the knife holders are quite heavy so I took the big nut off first and then put it back on a few threads, making sure that it was free to turn. Then I took the 4 nuts & bolts out that hold the "gearbox adaptor (No. 8)" to the knife holder and because it was only being held by the big nut I was able to undo that with one hand and lower the knife holder with the other but it was a bit fiddly.

I'm not sure if I have a puller that will do the job but it should be easy enough to make one. Watch this space !
    Just remember to put the nut back on but slack by a couple of turns to catch it when it pops, otherwise you might get the old "steering wheel in the face" effect if you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Just remember to put the nut back on but slack by a couple of turns to catch it when it pops, otherwise you might get the old "steering wheel in the face" effect if you didn't
    Thanks FF. None of my pullers are suitable so I am having to construct something. I'll post some piccies of the result so you can all have a laugh.

O.K. Okay, I know it's a bit crude but it worked. I started to make a puller out of some 3/8" plate. Made a couple of strips to go on the top of "No. 8 - the adaptor" in the previous photos. and then a larger piece to make the bottom of the puller. This first photo. actually shows it after I had got the adaptor off but had stuck it back on again to show how it worked. Notice that the adaptor isn't up as far as it would normally be. Plate (1).JPG I did cheat a little, I was going to drill a large hole in the bottom plate, weld a large nut over the hole and then screw a bolt through the nut so that it interracted with the nut on the bottom of the shaft that comes out of the gearbox and then I would have tightened the bolt and hopefully the top plates of the puller would have eased the adaptor down.

But I got a bit fed up of messing about and so I tightened up the 4 nuts that can be seen on each corner of the bottom plate and then gave the centre of that plate a smack with a "Brumigen screwdriver" On the 2nd swipe it all came away. Here is another photo. of the "puller" with the adaptor in it after I had got it off. Plate (2).JPG Those with a keen eye will see a hole in the bottom plate that is too large. Ahem, I didn't get them lined up properly did I I used to have a lovely old friend, now sadly no longer with us, who was an agric. engineer who ran his own business. He would have taken one look at my "puller" and would have said " what b***dy blacksmith med (made) that ? " But I think he would have approved really.

Gearbox is off but getting inside that is another matter. This is the only Teagle machine I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post

Gearbox is off but getting inside that is another matter. This is the only Teagle machine I have ever owned.

Looking at the parts drawing it looks to me to be an internal circlip holding the seal in, remove that and then with a suitable screwdriver and your hammer, drive the screwdriver into the seal trying to avoid chiselling into the shaft/housing.

From the drawing the seal looks like a double lip type which makes sense- sort of thing I'd get from Bearing Boys or Simply Bearings.

Get your finger out and you could be up and running for the bank holiday weekend..............

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Looking at the parts drawing it looks to me to be an internal circlip holding the seal in, remove that and then with a suitable screwdriver and your hammer, drive the screwdriver into the seal trying to avoid chiselling into the shaft/housing.

From the drawing the seal looks like a double lip type which makes sense- sort of thing I'd get from Bearing Boys or Simply Bearings.

Get your finger out and you could be up and running for the bank holiday weekend..............
    Yes, it was in internal circlip, the type that has no eyes, just managed to get a small screwdriver behind it and ease it out. That was the easy bit. Then I had to remove a "protective washer" (No. 16 on the diagram) which was a bit fiddly. Then I drove a screwdriver into the double lipped seal and opened it up and was then able to grip it with some Mole grips and pull it out Took some photos. before doing that but made sure that I didn't obliterate the numbers on it. Anyway, I got the seal out and I'm into my bearing man in the morning to see if he can match it. When I've got the seal I then need to tape up the splines on the shaft and try to get the new seal back where the old one was. I have to find some kind of drift that is 80mm diameter but which has a hole in the middle that will go over the shaft.

Don't need the topper yet, just trying to get it ready for when I do.