Thread: Microsoft office

Microsoft office

I have received a notice to pay a yearly subscription for Microsoft office.
    Is there a good way round this?
    jack caley

Re: Microsoft office

I'm assuming it's a fairly new computer and the 365 version came with it - but they didn't make it clear a fee would be charged to continue after the first year.

Older versions (without the 365 label) don't have the annual charge, you can get copies from *various sources* e.g. ebay
    They will still function well enough for most users.

There are capable free alternatives such as OpenOffice and LibreOffice
    Some things work slightly differently but the file types such as .xml can be opened by either program interchangeably.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    jack caley
    Hi Jack,

I know you use an iPad so first question is do you have a Microsoft account? Just wondering if its a scam?

If you have MS office for your business use, then you can get a deal for Office 365 Home for 79.99inc vat that gives you the full MS office suite of programes and 1TB of cloud storage that can be shared with up to 5 further users and each user can use it on up to (IIRC) 5 devices which if you need something to do that sort of scale isn't much to pay.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/of...%3aoverviewtab
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Hi Jack,

I know you use an iPad so first question is do you have a Microsoft account? Just wondering if its a scam?

If you have MS office for your business use, then you can get a deal for Office 365 Home for 79.99inc vat that gives you the full MS office suite of programes and 1TB of cloud storage that can be shared with up to 5 further users and each user can use it on up to (IIRC) 5 devices which if you need something to do that sort of scale isn't much to pay.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/of...%3aoverviewtab
    Thanks for your help. We are researching the business approach as we have numerous computers.
    Thanks again, will keep you posted, whilst you are not gadding off to Aussie, at least!
    jack

jack caley
    Jack - hover your mouse over the "from" field in the email - if it isn't Microsoft.com then it is probably isn't from Microsoft.

If you are still NOT 125% sure it is from Microsoft, forward it to Microsoft.com for their verification.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Jack - hover your mouse over the "from" field in the email - if it isn't Microsoft.com then it is probably isn't from Microsoft.

If you are still NOT 125% sure it is from Microsoft, forward it to Microsoft.com for their verification.
    I have researched it and come to the conclusion it is legit, as it is just one year since I bought my laptop.
    We still have not bought a replacement for the slow computer, but intend to do so now, getting business office for five units. I am thinking we need a stronger computer to cope with digitised vat returns anyway..
    Thanks for your help everybody,
    jack caley

I have researched it and come to the conclusion it is legit, as it is just one year since I bought my laptop.
    We still have not bought a replacement for the slow computer, but intend to do so now, getting business office for five units. I am thinking we need a stronger computer to cope with digitised vat returns anyway..
    Thanks for your help everybody,
    jack caley
    jack - before buying new I would check into the cost of upgrading the memory, etc. of your existing machine. The organization I work for just did that for my 5 year old HP laptop (to handle the increased workload in using O365) rather than buying a new machine.

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    jack - before buying new I would check into the cost of upgrading the memory, etc. of your existing machine. The organization I work for just did that for my 5 year old HP laptop (to handle the increased workload in using O365) rather than buying a new machine.

Just a thought
    After my previous thread,on slow computers, we had come to the conclusion we should buy new, and bigger. We also have to cope with Sage and the new vat system and compatility.
    Thanks again,
    jack.