Thread: International 574

International 574

Hello,

I can buy an International 574 with 3940 operating hours, on the pictures a very nice tractor. Are there things I need to pay special attention to with this model when I want to buy this tractor?

Buying IH 574 tractor

Hello,

I want to buy an IH 475 tractor, are there special things that I pay attention to when I go test driving

Re: International 574

Usual check for oil and coolant in the right places.
    Check to see if the handbrake works because it can be a PITA to sort. Drive through the high range gears up and down to check the syncros. You could do with loading the PTO to make sure that works under load.
    Give the steering close inspection as the ram yoke is prone to wear and the axle pivot. Nice if you could jack up the front.
    Are you familiar with the hydraulics? Push the outer lever right forward and down. The use the inner lever to check position control up and down. If an implement is fitted you can push the position control down and pull the draught control back to the point the implement just starts to lift. At that point it is actually possible to lift a light implement by and at the very rear and trigger the draught control to lift.
    The very early model had the cab bolted direct to the transmission and were noisy. The later were on ISO mounts and a little more pleasant. The panel work can be really rough but generally the cab frame is robust.
    Nearly forgot is the tractor fitted with 2 speed torque amplifier (lever on dash opposite the hand throttle). That unit can be suspect.
    Edit just realised that you are asking about the 475. That should be a Perkins engine.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Usual check for oil and coolant in the right places.
    Check to see if the handbrake works because it can be a PITA to sort. Drive through the high range gears up and down to check the syncros. You could do with loading the PTO to make sure that works under load.
    Give the steering close inspection as the ram yoke is prone to wear and the axle pivot. Nice if you could jack up the front.
    Are you familiar with the hydraulics? Push the outer lever right forward and down. The use the inner lever to check position control up and down. If an implement is fitted you can push the position control down and pull the draught control back to the point the implement just starts to lift. At that point it is actually possible to lift a light implement by and at the very rear and trigger the draught control to lift.
    The very early model had the cab bolted direct to the transmission and were noisy. The later were on ISO mounts and a little more pleasant. The panel work can be really rough but generally the cab frame is robust.
    Nearly forgot is the tractor fitted with 2 speed torque amplifier (lever on dash opposite the hand throttle). That unit can be suspect.
    Edit just realised that you are asking about the 475. That should be a Perkins engine.
    Hello essexpete,

This tractor has the German D-329 diesel engine. It is a 1976 model.

You say 574 in your first post and 475 in the second! If it's a 574,it should have a D239 engine.(D329 doesn't exist I think).
    If the engine hours are true,it hasn't done much in 30 years! Check the brake pedals don't go to the flloor.If they do,the chances are the o rings will need replacing in the back axle...Gear lever linkages become worn too but parts are available to tighten things up. As long as the engine has been well serviced and antifreeze kept in it,it should be fine..
    Clutch pedal wants to have at least an inch of free travel too.....