Thread: JD 6620 power quad issue

JD 6620 power quad issue

Hi,

I am trying to sort out a strange problem with a power quad gearbox on a John Deere 6620 tractor.

When the tractor is put into either A,B,C etc gears it lunges forward as if the Forward clutch is partially engaged. Due to this problem the forward clutch eventually failed and the clutch plates were replaced along with some seals and the forward and clutch solenoids were replaced at the same time in hopes that the problem would be fixed. The forward clutch rotated normally while the gearbox was open. Unfortunately the problem with the forward clutch has got worse when the tractor was re-started due to the new clutch plates.

What could cause the forward clutch to be partially engaged when the tractor is running. Could it be a some sort of problem with the oil galleries in the gearbox cover.

Regards
    Tom

Re: JD 6620 power quad issue

Quote Originally Posted by tommurphy73 View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to sort out a strange problem with a power quad gearbox on a John Deere 6620 tractor.

When the tractor is put into either A,B,C etc gears it lunges forward as if the Forward clutch is partially engaged. Due to this problem the forward clutch eventually failed and the clutch plates were replaced along with some seals and the forward and clutch solenoids were replaced at the same time in hopes that the problem would be fixed. The forward clutch rotated normally while the gearbox was open. Unfortunately the problem with the forward clutch has got worse when the tractor was re-started due to the new clutch plates.

What could cause the forward clutch to be partially engaged when the tractor is running. Could it be a some sort of problem with the oil galleries in the gearbox cover.

Regards
    Tom

JD are not my cup of tea at all, but I would of thought you are looking at an internal leak of pressured oil getting into the forward clutch? The seals that you have replaced, are these all of the relevant internal seals? or just those disturbed during the repair? also a common trait nowadays seems to be cracked valve blocks allowing oil to leak internally, could be something like that? Have you tried pressure testing to see what pressures are in the forward clutch?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

We will be pressure testing tomorrow to see what is going on. I will update with the results.

How did you get on?
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Check clutch cooling valve in transmission housing. Many times when tractor wants to drive sligtly forward when just range is selected springs are broken in cluch cooling valve. Should be cup - sping - spring support - spring - cup. When spring broken some oil pass and engage forward clutch

Check Clutch cooling valve for broken springs.