Thread: Citroen Godess Starter motor

Citroen Godess Starter motor

Amused myself today by salvaging the copper from a long discarded starter from a Citroen Goddess. The windings came away with no problem, but the segments the brushes run on refuse to budge.

I've tried to chisel them, and heated them until the copper is red hot, but still they refuse to budge.

What magic mixture has Francois used to fix them onto the shaft?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: Citroen Godess Starter motor

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Amused myself today by salvaging the copper from a long discarded starter from a Citroen Goddess. The windings came away with no problem, but the segments the brushes run on refuse to budge.

I've tried to chisel them, and heated them until the copper is red hot, but still they refuse to budge.

JV

There's someone here about who's pretty good with copper extraction- 2 weeks ago this side of town had a few electrical issues at about 6am, a few off & on's an then it settled down except one part where there is a new housing estate being built where houses had no power and the traffic lights were out. Fast forward to later in the morning and we found a trail of these bundle of "water pipe" chucked on the verge through two villages on the way to work.

Closer examination revealed they were the outer sheathing of HD SWA armoured cable! looks like the local travellers disposed of the outer sheathing that they had cut off as they pulled out a cable on the new site (MFD 2017 according to the codeing), expect they kept the armoured steel wires and the inner conductors, disposing off them both at some dodgy scrap metal dealer!
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Citroen Godess Starter motor

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post

JV
    Mystery solved! No magic mixture; the angle grinder exposed the secret.

The segments are keyed onto the shaft (separated by mica insulation) by two lobes on the segments which are sandwiched between flanges. I expect the outer flange is pressed into place on the shaft after all the segments are correctly assembled & held in place. Obvious!

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper