Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro elections

Euro elections

Fairly interesting statistics from the Euro elections.
    Courtesy of the BBC.

The headlines are taken by the “Pied Piper” Farage and his motley bunch.....one Brexiteer elected up here actually lives permanently in the South Of France.
    The Brexiteers polled around 31% of the total votes cast.

Add together the share taken by the other pro remain parties.
    Lib Dem 20.3%
    Green. 12.1%
    SNP. 3.6%
    Change. 3.4%
    Plaid C. 1.0%
    Total. 40.4%

Add to that half the votes cast for The Tory And Labour Party to represent those who physically could not bring themselves to desert the party of their roots.
    11.6%

The Result. 52.0%

Even without the arguable 11.6% from the Tories and Labour The Brexiteers actually suffered a decisive defeat.
    Think about it, over 40% of those who chose to vote voted for a party that was 100% remain.
    Bring on the second referendum....
    Two choices on the Ballot paper

Stay
    or
    Leave

Nothing else!

Re: Euro elections

A fairly high proportion of SNP votes were by brexiteers, because who else you going to vote for , tori name is mud up her and who's going to vote for Corbyn, so the figures dont tell the whole story

Of the six Yorkshire and Humber MEP's 3 are Brexit, 1 Conservative, 1 Labour and 1 Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    A fairly high proportion of SNP votes were by brexiteers, because who else you going to vote for , tori name is mud up her and who's going to vote for Corbyn, so the figures dont tell the whole story
    Tends to be just don’t vote....... surely difficult to vote SNP if you are a Brexiteer, SNP are out and out Remain!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Tends to be just don’t vote....... surely difficult to vote SNP if you are a Brexiteer, SNP are out and out Remain!
    You would think that but apparently not , just going by what a reporter said this morning . Suppose it's a bit like some labour supporters , if your working claas you'll vote for them without questioning there manifesto. Could have done with SNP doing less well , one of thete candidates was suggesting this morning it's only a matter of time before were independent and then getting ruled by Brussels presumably

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Bit of caution with your calculations Gee.
    Only a 37% turn out so your data and consequent assumptions are deeply flawed.
    What is clear to me is that the ruling political elite are still ignoring the view and wishes of a sizeable percentage of the nation.
    Was is not Abraham Lincoln who said in his Gettysburg address
    'government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish on this earth'

Fairly interesting statistics from the Euro elections.
    Courtesy of the BBC.

The headlines are taken by the “Pied Piper” Farage and his motley bunch.....one Brexiteer elected up here actually lives permanently in the South Of France.
    The Brexiteers polled around 31% of the total votes cast.

Add together the share taken by the other pro remain parties.
    Lib Dem 20.3%
    Green. 12.1%
    SNP. 3.6%
    Change. 3.4%
    Plaid C. 1.0%
    Total. 40.4%

Add to that half the votes cast for The Tory And Labour Party to represent those who physically could not bring themselves to desert the party of their roots.
    11.6%

The Result. 52.0%

Even without the arguable 11.6% from the Tories and Labour The Brexiteers actually suffered a decisive defeat.
    Think about it, over 40% of those who chose to vote voted for a party that was 100% remain.
    Bring on the second referendum....
    Two choices on the Ballot paper

Stay
    or
    Leave

Nothing else!
    The behaviour of the EU and its craven obvious need for our money have convinced me even more to leave. I think there could be a considerable number with the same view.
    We need rid of the damage that EU has done to our economy over the last 40 years, and do not want to be involved in further federalisation of Europe.
    jack caley

What he said to the power of 100 trillion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    The behaviour of the EU and its craven obvious need for our money have convinced me even more to leave. I think there could be a considerable number with the same view.
    We need rid of the damage that EU has done to our economy over the last 40 years, and do not want to be involved in further federalisation of Europe.
    jack caley
    The only thing that is blatantly obvious from the Euro elections is that the country is massivly split.
    Brexit did well but wiped out the UKIP vote, as rule of thumb they added about 10% to their vote (of those that voted) most of these came from the tories unsurprisingly.

The big winners in terms of seats and votes were the Lib dems and the Greens.

Its quite obvious that if a no deal is persued then a sizeable proportion of the country is going to be angry, so the arguement that we have to leave to honor the vote is garbage. I think the only option is to put the alternatives to the country again, the deal negotiated, a no deal leave or remain in the EU.

We would then have to go with whatever is chosen. The deal negotiated was crap but at least a compromise. Its just a pity that before the referendum they didn't think about the consequences of what they were doing. The promises made in terms of we are going to get all the things we want and be free from EU as well was obviously rubbish but people bought it. The reality is far from the promises made as it always was going to be.

Its just an unholy mess and made us the laughing stock and costing jobs and trade every day, probably the only good thing to come out was that the pound devalued and kept our exports up because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Bit of caution with your calculations Gee.
    Only a 37% turn out so your data and consequent assumptions are deeply flawed.
    What is clear to me is that the ruling political elite are still ignoring the view and wishes of a sizeable percentage of the nation.
    Was is not Abraham Lincoln who said in his Gettysburg address
    'government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish on this earth'
    Yep but that’s democracy at work.
    Like it or not it’s the % of who turns up on the day.
    More people who turned up were Remainers than Brexiteers.
    Nothing really new in the result The Pied Piper has harvested the UKIP vote plus a few others.....same voters under a different banner.
    Remember there is a big difference between an Election especially one fought under PR rules and a Referendum with only two choices.....

REMAIN or LEAVE.

Above 40% beats 34% every time!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Its quite obvious that if a no deal is persued then a sizeable proportion of the country is going to be angry,
    I think this is yet another trap being laid by the MSM, there is a big difference between actively pursuing it and being prepared to accept it if the EU negotiators insist on trying to be the big men. Surely on a forum like this of all places, the people here are bound to understand the concept of never getting the best deal on anything unless you are prepared to walk away. In fairness to President Trump it's a concept which he plainly gets, and it's a concept which most of the candidates for Tory leadership seem to get. But the media either don't get it (very possible as they're increasingly mostly sheltered snowflakes) or they don't want to.

I doubt very, very, much that we will ever leave the EU without some sort of deal being done beforehand, but to do as the press (and indeed parliament itself) are doing and try to remove it as a possibility is utterly moronic in the extreme. We must trust, and be able to trust, that future negotiations are truly striving to achieve the best deal possible for the majority of the UK's citizens but of-course for that to happen the EU itself must take a step back from it's current position that negotiations are over. That will not happen if the 'no-deal' scenario is scuppered.

The country is divided, but I don't think it's an irretrievable situation, however I think the next Tory leader is going to be as crucial to the survival of the UK as anyone has been since Churchill. I think the EU itself will have to change direction (although initial signs are not good!) but we cannot control that, count on that, and certainly not wait for it! What we can do in the short term at least, is see if the message from these elections has gotten through, and then hope that our new PM will be considerably more competent than our present outgoing one.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    I think this is yet another trap being laid by the MSM, there is a big difference between actively pursuing it and being prepared to accept it if the EU negotiators insist on trying to be the big men. Surely on a forum like this of all places, the people here are bound to understand the concept of never getting the best deal on anything unless you are prepared to walk away. In fairness to President Trump it's a concept which he plainly gets, and it's a concept which most of the candidates for Tory leadership seem to get. But the media either don't get it (very possible as they're increasingly mostly sheltered snowflakes) or they don't want to.

I doubt very, very, much that we will ever leave the EU without some sort of deal being done beforehand, but to do as the press (and indeed parliament itself) are doing and try to remove it as a possibility is utterly moronic in the extreme. We must trust, and be able to trust, that future negotiations are truly striving to achieve the best deal possible for the majority of the UK's citizens but of-course for that to happen the EU itself must take a step back from it's current position that negotiations are over. That will not happen if the 'no-deal' scenario is scuppered.

The country is divided, but I don't think it's an irretrievable situation, however I think the next Tory leader is going to be as crucial to the survival of the UK as anyone has been since Churchill. I think the EU itself will have to change direction (although initial signs are not good!) but we cannot control that, count on that, and certainly not wait for it! What we can do in the short term at least, is see if the message from these elections has gotten through, and then hope that our new PM will be considerably more competent than our present outgoing one.
    I am afraid that nearly all of the politicians do not live in the real world that we live in, they have no concept of trade , money or negotiations, because they live in a cosy little world with huge expense accounts.
    On the other hand the EU negotiators were fighting to keep the many, many billions they have had over the last forty years. My son in Spain last weekend outlined just how much money the Spanish have had, so of course they would be pro EU! Of course he also said that a lot of that money would come from the UK, instead of our health service.
    Over the last forty years of my travels in to Europe I have seen what it did achieve but now federalisation, the loss of national identity and culture is a dangerous thing. Every body but Nicola Sturgeon want to be able to manage their own affairs locally! A European war is more likely, not less the way Germany and France are trying to dominate!
    jack caley

Lets leave with no deal then let the eu come to us after and negotiate on our terms not theirs. The rest of the world are prepared to deal with but nothing can be sorted while we are in this limbo/no-mans-land position.

Over the last forty years of my travels in to Europe I have seen what it did achieve but now federalisation, the loss of national identity and culture is a dangerous thing....
    jack caley
    The EEC that the "we" (I was still in school then) joined in the 70's was very different to the EU that we are now part of.

A European war is more likely, not less the way Germany and France are trying to dominate!
    jack caley
    With utmost respect Mr Caley, I think it's vital that none of us allow ourselves to be sucked in to the maelstrom being craftily engineered with the sole purpose of obfuscating the entire process and preventing change.

The French are now almost certainly anti-EU as a nation, only their stooge Macron remains, and that is an extremely time-limited situation. The Italians have been anti-EU for some time, and the default 'leader' of the EU Frau Merkel is still only in power in her own country by agreeing her departure date in advance. Change is coming, and the only way the rats in the feeder over in Brussels can postpone the inevitable is to whip up angst and discord amongst the serfs out in their regions. Nowhere has this been more obvious than in the despicable manipulation of the issues surrounding the land border between the UK and Ireland, an area that needs treated with the utmost caution at any time, but that is of no concern to those whose only aim is the preservation of their own wealth and power within the corridors of Brussels.

As I said, we are relatively powerless to either control or hasten change within the EU, but sadly up until now the conduct of our politicians, press, and a disappointingly high percentage of our citizens is certainly helping to delay it.

I am afraid that nearly all of the politicians do not live in the real world that we live in, they have no concept of trade , money or negotiations, because they live in a cosy little world with huge expense accounts.
    On the other hand the EU negotiators were fighting to keep the many, many billions they have had over the last forty years. My son in Spain last weekend outlined just how much money the Spanish have had, so of course they would be pro EU! Of course he also said that a lot of that money would come from the UK, instead of our health service.
    Over the last forty years of my travels in to Europe I have seen what it did achieve but now federalisation, the loss of national identity and culture is a dangerous thing. Every body but Nicola Sturgeon want to be able to manage their own affairs locally! A European war is more likely, not less the way Germany and France are trying to dominate!
    jack caley
    Raking up old shitty arguments but it is also a fact that the UK could and should have had a whole lot more from the EU, its just that many of the schemes were designed as match funding schemes and our successive governments were simply not prepared to do that. So yo cant say that Spain got this that and the other in a jealous way when its simply the fault of ourselves that we didn't get more.

A lot wrong with the EU but a whole lot wrong with UK parliament too, I mean look at the millions wasted by Grayling alone in his various jobs over the years for instance. Yet he is still there and looks like being for a while yet.

I just saw an article on the election - is it true there are 751 seats in the EU Parliament? Really? No wonder there is a problem with global warming - if each politician speaks for only 1 minute (and i have Never found one that can only speak for 1 minute), it would take 12.5 hours

What a big waste

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I just saw an article on the election - is it true there are 751 seats in the EU Parliament? Really? No wonder there is a problem with global warming - if each politician speaks for only 1 minute (and i have Never found one that can only speak for 1 minute), it would take 12.5 hours

What a big waste
    Our own parliament is 650 seats.

What a big waste
    To be fair, the 751 seats are for 400 million people!
    However each member costs about 3 times as much as our MP,s.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Raking up old shitty arguments but it is also a fact that the UK could and should have had a whole lot more from the EU, its just that many of the schemes were designed as match funding schemes and our successive governments were simply not prepared to do that. So yo cant say that Spain got this that and the other in a jealous way when its simply the fault of ourselves that we didn't get more.

A lot wrong with the EU but a whole lot wrong with UK parliament too, I mean look at the millions wasted by Grayling alone in his various jobs over the years for instance. Yet he is still there and looks like being for a while yet.
    The main reason we had to have match funding was Maggie Thatchers rebate.
    However, it is not jealousy, just observation of all the half started schemes you see as you drive down Spain, and realise that they were done with our money.
    There is actually a so called flood protection scheme surrounding my sister near Hull, £40 million of eu money, and my brother in law says it is in the wrong place to work.
    jack caley

To be fair, the 751 seats are for 400 million people!
    However each member costs about 3 times as much as our MP,s.
    jack caley
    Jack - point taken

400,000,000 / 751 = 532,623 people per politician in EU

327,000,000 / 535 = 611,215 people per politician in Both houses (100 in Senate, 435 in Legislature) in the US

37,000,000 / 443 = 85,521 people per politician in Both houses (105 in Senate, 338 in Commons) in Canada - we have way too many politicians in Canada

Jack - point taken

400,000,000 / 751 = 532,623 people per politician in EU

327,000,000 / 535 = 611,215 people per politician in Both houses (100 in Senate, 435 in Legislature) in the US

37,000,000 / 443 = 85,521 people per politician in Both houses (105 in Senate, 338 in Commons) in Canada - we have way too many politicians in Canada
    There are some who think we have too many politicians in the UK
    jack caley.
    PS Billie Connolly said that when our MP,s went on holiday in the summer, they should lock the doors so they could not return

Smile Re: Euro elections

There will have been a significant proportion of Brexiteers who would not have been willing to vote for Nigel Farage's Brexit party:

Either because,

1. They don't like Nigel,

2. While they are strong Leavers, they do not want us to leave without a Deal.

3 They would not vote UKIP on principle.

So if they voted, they must have voted for a -so-called Remain Party.

And it is worth noting that in Scotland, the SNP received only 16% of the votes of the electorate who were eligible to Vote. ( 40% X 40%)

Yep but that’s democracy at work.
    Like it or not it’s the % of who turns up on the day.
    More people who turned up were Remainers than Brexiteers.
    Nothing really new in the result The Pied Piper has harvested the UKIP vote plus a few others.....same voters under a different banner.
    Remember there is a big difference between an Election especially one fought under PR rules and a Referendum with only two choices.....

REMAIN or LEAVE.

Above 40% beats 34% every time!

17.4 million beats 16.1 million every time.

Quote Originally Posted by NewQman View Post
    17.4 million beats 16.1 million every time.
    The past three years would suggest otherwise unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    There will have been a significant proportion of Brexiteers who would not have been willing to vote for Nigel Farage's Brexit party:

Either because,

1. They don't like Nigel,
    And that simple fact will have skewed matters, but that won't worry the Lib-Dems, feeling born again their egos will be off the scale, will dear old Vince be able to cope with it all?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    And that simple fact will have skewed matters, but that won't worry the Lib-Dems, feeling born again their egos will be off the scale, will dear old Vince be able to cope with it all?
    and Alistair Campbell getting kicked out of the Labour Party for voting for them as well.

And now dear old Boris is heading for Court.....amusing to think only the other day the press were commenting that Boris had a fair chance of the leadership as long as he kept his mouth shut.
    In the dock at the Old Bailey with a fancy pants QC chewing at his dangly bits should be an interesting event.
    Wonder if his current squeeze will be quite as attentive if he is on holiday at one of “Her Majesties Holiday Homes”.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/brexitjusticeprosecution

Cheaper than a Netflix sub......and possibly more fun to be had.

prosecuting an mp for lying , there must be a few of them shyting themselves now surely just another distraction from brexit which isnt going to help anyone