Thread: Mf 5455 rear linkage problem with mower conditioner

Mf 5455 rear linkage problem with mower conditioner

Just tried putting a mower conditioner on 3 pt linkage of my MF5455 but noticed unless linkage fully raised, it allows arm to go down on heavy side and other to rise up on lighter side?
    Didn't think this could happen with arms ie should the mechancles not be linked with back end?

any other experiences be like this or how to resolve would be wellcome.

Re: Mf 5455 rear linkage problem with mower conditioner

sounds like your cross shaft is knackered , either the splines have worn out or its sheared , splines worn of most likely

Is this item easily replaced ? Where exactly is it located? Much appreciated for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Humfy View Post
    Is this item easily replaced ? Where exactly is it located? Much appreciated for reply.

No5 is your cross or lift shaft with two arms, one either side although only one is shown below.

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Much appreciated for info, yer this is probably culprit. Does this shaft knock through? Or does whole top have to be removed of back end etc? Years since iv worked on something like this.

Much appreciated for info, yer this is probably culprit. Does this shaft knock through? Or does whole top have to be removed of back end etc? Years since iv worked on something like this.
    I guessed the model but I expect they may be similar. Never had one of these Gima types off yet although given the rams are all external unlike the old ford/NH style with one in under the cover its possible it may come out depending on what fixtures and fittings may be in the way?

If its snapped then I'd of thought you'd be able to see a bit of a gap between the cover and one or both of the lift arms? unless its a pretty straight break?

Our 6480 had the oilseals changed under warranty and the MF technician had hell of a game to get each arm off in situ, possibly because that tractor does all the fert spreading....... but it wasn't that old IYKWIM?

Agrimax might pop in for a look if he's not busy, expect he'd know.

Had a closer look & splines worn badly on right side, im suspecting tractor had a big hedgecutter on it before i took ownership . Its an expensive repair to.
    Joys , much apprecited for help/advice , will let you kno outcome.

been working on a lely splendimo today, thought just ne wear plates, but found several of fixing holes had damaged threads, great fun.

Had a closer look & splines worn badly on right side, im suspecting tractor had a big hedgecutter on it before i took ownership . Its an expensive repair to.

been working on a lely splendimo today, thought just ne wear plates, but found several of fixing holes had damaged threads, great fun.
    That sounds very feasible. What about used parts from a breaker?

Iím machinist and could make you one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt newell View Post
    Iím machinist and could make you one.
    Wish id noticed your comment sooner..... bought a complete set up from a breaker, but even after asking for good parts, one of arms was well worn, fortunately it was opposite side to my original so was able to make good. Job itself was easy enuf to replace etc, with hind sight tho, machining a key would probably have been a better option. The original design is pretty piss poor for such a heavy application ie just small splines . Any ways hope it lasts a while now.
    Cheers for all comments.