Thread: Terex 250 Hydraulic Pump Failure

Terex 250 Hydraulic Pump Failure

Hi, I was posting a while back regarding a failed pump on my Terex 250. I since got the pump reconditioned and it worked great for a couple of months. Just all of a sudden it started making a whining noise, and hydraulics not working.

I took the pump off and opened it to have a look. The round plate inside is broken, and the brass ends going through that plate are worn down, with brass filings visible. I checked the return filter going into the hydraulic tank, but there is no evidence of any brass filings in that filter. I spoke to the guy that reconditioned it, and he is going to have a look at it but has said that the problem is contamination rather than failure of the reconditioning work that was done. I'm torn between fixing it and selling it, or keeping it with the risk of this happening again if it possibly has brass filings through the system. I don't suppose there's any way of reliably getting all the brass filings out?

Re: Terex 250 Hydraulic Pump Failure

Quote Originally Posted by jmckm2 View Post
    Hi, I was posting a while back regarding a failed pump on my Terex 250. I since got the pump reconditioned and it worked great for a couple of months. Just all of a sudden it started making a whining noise, and hydraulics not working.

I took the pump off and opened it to have a look. The round plate inside is broken, and the brass ends going through that plate are worn down, with brass filings visible. I checked the return filter going into the hydraulic tank, but there is no evidence of any brass filings in that filter. I spoke to the guy that reconditioned it, and he is going to have a look at it but has said that the problem is contamination rather than failure of the reconditioning work that was done. I'm torn between fixing it and selling it, or keeping it with the risk of this happening again if it possibly has brass filings through the system. I don't suppose there's any way of reliably getting all the brass filings out?
    chuck the pump away, fit a new one, clean the tank out, change the filters, replace the inlet section on the main valve block, reset all the pressures so the pump is working properly.

Its almost certainly failed because the inlet section is faulty and or the pressures were not set up right.

Re: Terex 250 Hydraulic Pump Failure

Quote Originally Posted by jmckm2 View Post

We have recently had problems with a zero turn Hustler lawn mower. A recurrence of a problem we had three or four years ago.Contamination was mostly the problem, admittedly it was ferrous contamination, not brass, but the contamination was not visible, it was so small it would pass through the filter. We fitted four magnets around the body of the filter, you could see the profile of the magnets inside the filter, that was the only proof that there was contamination. The magnets were very cheap,14 off the internet.
    The Hustler has radiator and hydraulic oil cooler side by side, so the hydraulic oil got hot and reduced viscosity, so we now use engine oil.
    It is usually very difficult to get rid of contamination, what you do with brass I do not know but magnets are a good tip.
    jack caley