Thread: Harvest?

Harvest?

Last night I had a ride round the local area. Crops look outstandingly good. Winter barley and wheat seem to very heavy, without having laid as yet, in spite of the rain we had about a fortnight since. Oilseed rape has huge pods, we seem to have avoided the beetle problem, probably because we gave them three insecticide sprays. There is some miscanthus left around here, it has already got to about six feet tall.
    We have had a good season, right through from last harvest, which was a good one. It makes you wonder, what can go wrong, nature has a way of balancing things out. We shall see, our old neighbour, bless him, used to say, don,t count your chickens, the only real test is when you put the checque in the bank!
    Fingers crossed,
    jack caley

Re: Harvest?

Here the winter barley is getting a real hitting from the pigeons. They are flattening quite large areas and they are determined beggars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Last night I had a ride round the local area. Crops look outstandingly good. Winter barley and wheat seem to very heavy, without having laid as yet, in spite of the rain we had about a fortnight since. Oilseed rape has huge pods, we seem to have avoided the beetle problem, probably because we gave them three insecticide sprays. There is some miscanthus left around here, it has already got to about six feet tall.
    We have had a good season, right through from last harvest, which was a good one. It makes you wonder, what can go wrong, nature has a way of balancing things out. We shall see, our old neighbour, bless him, used to say, don,t count your chickens, the only real test is when you put the checque in the bank!
    Fingers crossed,
    jack caley
    Jack, very much hope you are right, but one thing we have learnt in the last few years is the correlation between June's solar output, and yield.
    sadly and I believe it is true of much of the country particularly in the East is that sunshine has been very poor this year recording about 90% of the last 6 year average.
    last year we had 110%
    I have only been recording the these 6 years but locally I know it is correct , provided we have the water to back it up of course
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

All round crops are excellent.
    WB side to side fields long strong heads.
    Wheat.....one of my ways of describing a crop.....you could put a ruler across the field and every head would touch the ruler.....plus you couldn’t find anywhere to put another head in the field.
    OSR. Again big strong bulky crop, no room for another pod anywhere.
    Silage has gone in ....big bulky crops.....swathes were nice and shiny green when cut, so we were still in the growing stage.
    Might be a year for having a fair whack of it sold last year??

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Jack, very much hope you are right, but one thing we have learnt in the last few years is the correlation between June's solar output, and yield.
    sadly and I believe it is true of much of the country particularly in the East is that sunshine has been very poor this year recording about 90% of the last 6 year average.
    last year we had 110%
    I have only been recording the these 6 years but locally I know it is correct , provided we have the water to back it up of course
    An interesting point about the sunlight, and filling the head. Last year we had a very good yield of very good bushel weight grain, followed up by a a good dry harvest, the wheat all went in to the bio fuel plant in Hull, at a good price straight off the combine in to our own lorry at a good price at about 17 per cent.
    This year, that plant is closed, it took a million tonnes a year, and we have had little sun. As I write we have glorious sunshine, I hope it is not too late!
    We shall see!
    jack caley