Thread: Borehole Advice

Borehole Advice

Hi,

We bought out small Farm about 15 years ago, it was originally part of a much larger farm. The water supply to the whole farm was via a borehole adjacent to the house fed by a borehole pump to a concrete reservoir some distance from the house. When not fed by the pump, our house and land, and also our neighbours who bought the remaining land at the original farm sale, is supplied by gravity from the reservoir. I understand that the borehole was installed about 20 years ago, and we replaced the pump last year. The pump is controlled by a timer which typically is set to run about 2 hours a day.

A few days ago I noticed that the water had turned a distinct brownish colour and seeking advice from the people who installed the new pump ( local company, excellent reputation), they suggested I was depleting the area around the borehole and should change the timer from a single 2 hours a day to two periods of 1 hour to allow the local area to recover. Problem is that the water level in the reservoir is dropping - I suspect because the neighbour has a cattle and sheep on his land and its very hot- and and I need to increase the pumping time. I guess I could try 2 periods of 1 1/2 hrs but not sure this will help all that much as the water seems to be brown immediately th pump starts.

Just wondered what the collective experience was with regard to declining yield from boreholes, and any suggestions as to what I can do.

Thanks

Alchad

Re: Borehole Advice

Quote Originally Posted by alchad View Post
    Hi,

We bought out small Farm about 15 years ago, it was originally part of a much larger farm. The water supply to the whole farm was via a borehole adjacent to the house fed by a borehole pump to a concrete reservoir some distance from the house. When not fed by the pump, our house and land, and also our neighbours who bought the remaining land at the original farm sale, is supplied by gravity from the reservoir. I understand that the borehole was installed about 20 years ago, and we replaced the pump last year. The pump is controlled by a timer which typically is set to run about 2 hours a day.

A few days ago I noticed that the water had turned a distinct brownish colour and seeking advice from the people who installed the new pump ( local company, excellent reputation), they suggested I was depleting the area around the borehole and should change the timer from a single 2 hours a day to two periods of 1 hour to allow the local area to recover. Problem is that the water level in the reservoir is dropping - I suspect because the neighbour has a cattle and sheep on his land and its very hot- and and I need to increase the pumping time. I guess I could try 2 periods of 1 1/2 hrs but not sure this will help all that much as the water seems to be brown immediately th pump starts.

Just wondered what the collective experience was with regard to declining yield from boreholes, and any suggestions as to what I can do.

Thanks

Alchad
    since no one else has responded, I will give you my non-expert opinion.

First given the "brownish" water, has it been tested to verify it is still acceptable for consumption by "man or beast"? (water quality test)

do you have any record of how high in the hole the water has historically risen and how high it is rising now (refill rate) - pumping for 2 hours indicates a good flow

have you verified that there is no leaks in the concrete tank as a source of increased water consumption?

has there been any significant construction in the area that could have disturbed the aquifer (i.e. blasting for roadways, new Quarry, etc.)?

has there been any major industry or other farms drill a hole in the last 6 months / year that could be accessing the same aquifer, causing problems for you?

Do you have a legal obligation to provide water to your neighbor? does your neighbor have any legal requirement to assist in the costs associated with providing the water?

Other than the temperature, have you or your neighbor done anything to increase the water usage (i.e. significant increase in herd, irrigation of crops, . . .)

rather than going to two 1.5 hour automatic pumping sessions, I would be tempted to go to two 1 hour automatic pumping session and one 1 hour manually started session, if required (tank level)

Re: Borehole Advice

The past 18 months have been decidedly dry and when it has rained the timing has been such that it seems to have struggled to recharge deeper sources.
    I'd also wonder if there's a leak somewhere and ever more water is being pumped just to keep up with that.
    It wasn't clear if the main farm is still using the same supply or perhaps they have redundant pipework from it.
    I wonder what the cost of a new borehole would be compared to trying to detect issues with the present system