Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Boris

Re: Boris

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    How about Boris then?
    He really is making changes.
    in favour of GM for one thing. Got a battle on there, amongst other battles.
    one thing I wish he would do is challenge the threat of tariffs on Welsh lamb. He needs to threaten the import of pigmeat, since the eu destroyed half our pig industry. The local Cranswick sausage factory imports 42 per cent of its pigmeat. Minette Batters is probably right to protect Welsh sheep farmers, but she should protect pig farmers as well, then maybe we could get half our old pig herd back again.
    jack caley
    His girlfriend is an ARA and has already influenced him into cancelling the badger cull in Derbyshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    His girlfriend is an ARA and has already influenced him into cancelling the badger cull in Derbyshire.
    What is an ARA?
    jack caley

What is an ARA?
    jack caley
    Animal Rights Activist.....
    Or In Boris’s Case
    The latest in a long line of impressionable ladies who have fallen for a portly middle aged lothario that has a slight difficulty with the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Animal Rights Activist.....
    Or In Boris’s Case
    The latest in a long line of impressionable ladies who have fallen for a portly middle aged lothario that has a slight difficulty with the truth.
    I remember seeing a message originating in the US where there was a photograph of Donald Trump and a photograph of Hillary Clinton, both snaps were taken when the two individuals certainly were not in their best prose, and a caption read '300million Americans and this is all we can get?' I think we 60Million souls haven't done much better and there is not even a worthy runner up that springs to my mind at the moment. I think our problem is we comprise (farmers) such a small proportion of the electorate that the rulers do not make obvious, sensible decisions, the banning of culling badgers in Derbyshire for instance, well that really puts the cap on it for farmers in that area. I'm afraid if I were in that area I would be taking matters in to my own hands, against the law ,I know but the law can be an ass, and that would be describing this ruling very mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    I remember seeing a message originating in the US where there was a photograph of Donald Trump and a photograph of Hillary Clinton, both snaps were taken when the two individuals certainly were not in their best prose, and a caption read '300million Americans and this is all we can get?' I think we 60Million souls haven't done much better and there is not even a worthy runner up that springs to my mind at the moment. I think our problem is we comprise (farmers) such a small proportion of the electorate that the rulers do not make obvious, sensible decisions, the banning of culling badgers in Derbyshire for instance, well that really puts the cap on it for farmers in that area. I'm afraid if I were in that area I would be taking matters in to my own hands, against the law ,I know but the law can be an ass, and that would be describing this ruling very mildly.
    Following last nights performance.....
    Apparently all you need to say is “I disagree with the law”

The chance of this whole thing descending into violence has never been higher.

Boris is a very dangerous man.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    The chance of this whole thing descending into violence has never been higher.

Boris is a very dangerous man.
    The trouble is violence breeds violence.
    You could argue that the two day bill was un lawful. It was without parliamentary precedent, allowed by Bercow. So one thing leads to another. The whole climate is confrontational. For example the BBC,s Politics Live. It is widely accepted that the BBC is biased, but the whole basis of Politics Live is confrontational. It makes for a good "show", good confrontational television, putting egotistical MP,s against each other. That is transmitted to the House, instead of reasonable debate.
    It is hardly any wonder that Boris is frustrated in not being able to carry out the democratic vote of the people, especially when confronted by the violent behaviour of the eu who will fight tooth and nail to get our money and our market.
    Boris is also fighting against the aftermath of Teresa, who made things ten times worse for her successor.
    jack caley

You could argue that the two day bill was un lawful. It was without parliamentary precedent, allowed by Bercow. So one thing leads to another. The whole climate is confrontational. For example the BBC,s Politics Live. It is widely accepted that the BBC is biased, but the whole basis of Politics Live is confrontational. It makes for a good "show", good confrontational television, putting egotistical MP,s against each other. That is transmitted to the House, instead of reasonable debate.
    It is hardly any wonder that Boris is frustrated in not being able to carry out the democratic vote of the people, especially when confronted by the violent behaviour of the eu who will fight tooth and nail to get our money and our market.
    Boris is also fighting against the aftermath of Teresa, who made things ten times worse for her successor.
    jack caley
    and the press loves controversy - it draws readers and in the "new online economy", misleading headlines draws "clicks" and "clicks" generate advertising revenue so the press will NEVER permit an issue to go away, thus fanning the flames of discontent (and generating advertising revenue)

Violent language also breeds violence. Two female MP's, who have had death and rape threats (one of whom now represents Jo Cox's constituency), stood up in Parliament and asked the Prime Minister to tone down his inflammatory rhetoric.
    He dismissed their concerns as "humbug".
    Easy to do when you're driven round in a bulletproof car, surrounded by armed bodyguards.

Everyone needs to calm down but, as PM, he should be showing leadership in doing that. Not leadership in ramping it up.

Many of the threats received by MPs contain the language used by him. Disagreeing with someone's political views does not make them unfit for office.
    But the conduct of this PM does​ make him unfit for office, in my opinion.

jack caley
    Sorry but there was a precedent dating back a good long while but a precedent non the less and certainly a lot more correct procedure than the pirogue (spelling?) was, not since Charles the first has that been done when parliament disagrees with the decision you want to go in and look where that one lead.

As for BBC bias, don't buy it, look at the number of time Farage on question time for instance way more than most
    But the most controversial is "confronted by the violent behaviour of the eu" what are you on about? Haven't seen any fisticuffs when Boris has gone over there, no guns waving in his face et al. You havnt come back to justify your comments the other day on that issue but would you please like to explain what you mean exactly?
    As I have said Boris is not trying to carry out the democratic vote, he is trying to exercise a particular form of the vote for which he has no clear mandate. If he was willing to put no deal to the people and that is the way it goes, we would have nothing to moan about, but the fact he has expelled people who voted to carry out the democratic vote in a different form when he voted against and is trying to go down this extreme worst case Brexit Path claiming he has the mandate to do it is quite clearly incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Sorry but there was a precedent dating back a good long while but a precedent non the less and certainly a lot more correct procedure than the pirogue (spelling?) was, not since Charles the first has that been done when parliament disagrees with the decision you want to go in and look where that one lead.

As for BBC bias, don't buy it, look at the number of time Farage on question time for instance way more than most
    But the most controversial is "confronted by the violent behaviour of the eu" what are you on about? Haven't seen any fisticuffs when Boris has gone over there, no guns waving in his face et al. You havnt come back to justify your comments the other day on that issue but would you please like to explain what you mean exactly?
    As I have said Boris is not trying to carry out the democratic vote, he is trying to exercise a particular form of the vote for which he has no clear mandate. If he was willing to put no deal to the people and that is the way it goes, we would have nothing to moan about, but the fact he has expelled people who voted to carry out the democratic vote in a different form when he voted against and is trying to go down this extreme worst case Brexit Path claiming he has the mandate to do it is quite clearly incorrect.
    There was a count done regarding question time and the ratio of anti Brexit to pro was three to one I believe. I do listen to BBC four and the emphasis is usually on project fear.
    with regard to violence on the part of the eu, maybe my terminology was not quite correct but the effect was the same. Barnier said that if he managed to prevent Brexit , he had done his job correctly. From the start, the referendum was principally about immigration pressure and benefit tourism. The eu chose to use free trade as a weapon in their negotiations. Since they have got such a grip on our economy, it is difficult for the UK to retaliate, hence the undertaking. Not to impose tariffs.
    I do not excuse Boris, but I think possibly he was demonstrating that he could make human mistakes. He had taken legal advice on proroguing, which said it was lawful. What actually happened was that the judges made up a new law and the decreed that he had broken that law. He returned from New York early, lack of sleep, and behaved as a human being and made a mistake, hardly surprising. He should not have returned early, just let Bercow stew a bit.
    jack caley.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Violent language also breeds violence. Two female MP's, who have had death and rape threats (one of whom now represents Jo Cox's constituency), stood up in Parliament and asked the Prime Minister to tone down his inflammatory rhetoric.
    He dismissed their concerns as "humbug".
    Easy to do when you're driven round in a bulletproof car, surrounded by armed bodyguards.

Everyone needs to calm down but, as PM, he should be showing leadership in doing that. Not leadership in ramping it up.

Many of the threats received by MPs contain the language used by him. Disagreeing with someone's political views does not make them unfit for office.
    But the conduct of this PM does​ make him unfit for office, in my opinion.
    I don't recall much fuss when snarling McDonnell suggested lynching a female Tory MP
    Why was Jo Cox even brought into the debate by a Labour MP, I thought they were desperate to engage in constructive debate about Brexit in these days they have forced a return in what is normally conference season anyway.

Press reports that Boris threatening that the Supreme Court is in need of reform.

The last resort of Despots......get rid of the Judiciary!

Followed by the army on the streets?

Press reports that Boris threatening that the Supreme Court is in need of reform.

The last resort of Despots......get rid of the Judiciary!

Followed by the army on the streets?
    If the UK Supreme Court is anything like most countries, the make-up, function and mandate should be reviewed.

As an example, the press reported the other day that the US Democrats were talking of increasing the number of Justices on their Supreme Court because Trump had filled all vacancies with Republicans making the majority of Justices now being Republican / Republican leaning. The democrats wanted to increase the number of seats the next time they controlled the two houses and the presidency so they could appoint their Democrats / democrat leaning Justices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    If the UK Supreme Court is anything like most countries, the make-up, function and mandate should be reviewed.

As an example, the press reported the other day that the US Democrats were talking of increasing the number of Justices on their Supreme Court because Trump had filled all vacancies with Republicans making the majority of Justices now being Republican / Republican leaning. The democrats wanted to increase the number of seats the next time they controlled the two houses and the presidency so they could appoint their Democrats / democrat leaning Justices.
    As far as I am aware unlike the USA they are not Political appointments.
    Boris achieved the rare distinction of Eleven Judges out of Eleven finding against him.
    Another distinction, Eight votes out of Eight that he has put to Parliament he has lost!

And yet at the previous hearing the judges all found in his favour, of course they did invent new laws to stitch him up in the meantime.
    It's awful when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I don't recall much fuss when snarling McDonnell suggested lynching a female Tory MP
    Ah, 'whataboutery' Of course that was appalling and should never have been said. My point was though - he is the leader of the country and, as such, should lead by example. And I don't mean bad example.

Why was Jo Cox even brought into the debate by a Labour MP,
    Yes, why would a Labour MP, who was afraid for her life, bring up Jo Cox...

This was posted on twitter by Yvette Cooper's daughter...

“I rarely actually tweet, especially about politics – am more of the silent retweeter – but after the chilling scenes in Parliament last night I just don’t think I can stay quiet anymore. There’s a group of young people and children that need to be spoken for.“The language used by our Prime Minister - not a far-right populist or provocative journalist, but our Prime Minister - is just beyond words. The fact that the head of our government is actually using language that helps incite violence toward MPs is so beyond dangerous I can’t even comprehend it in a modern society. This isn’t funny any more. Whatever egotistical game Boris Johnson has been playing since he was at Eton, this isn’t entitled teenagers standing blindly by their positions in an attempt to one-up their friends anymore.

“This of rising hatred is costing people their lives.
    “I was 17 when Jo Cox was murdered. I just rang my mum, who is Yvette Cooper, on my way home from school to complain about the usual things and I distinctly remember her interrupting me to say ‘An MP’s been shot.’
    “I can honestly say my perspective of the world completely changed that day. Before then, my mum’s job was something that kept her working later than bedtime when I was a kid, the source of embarrassing conversations at school, the reason we travelled to and fro between Yorkshire and London every week for the first two thirds of my life.
    “It was never something that could get her killed.

“I am scared.
    “I am scared when I scroll through the replies to her tweets calling her a liar and a traitor.
    “I am scared when our house gets fitted with panic buttons, industrial-locking doors and explosive bags to catch the mail.
    “I am scared because on the 16th of June 2016, two children said goodbye to their mother before she left for her constituency to sit in surgeries and help people all day, and never saw her again. I am scared every single day that the same will happen to mine.
    “Because she is trying her best to help people. To make their lives better. Even if we disagree with our politicians, when was this something we actively wanted to hurt them for?
    “Of course Brexit is contentious. Of course people have strong opinions, opinions that will inevitably come into conflict when trying to work out how best to deliver an outcome that split our country in two. But what we need now is a Prime Minister who can stand up and say ‘Yes I want to deliver Brexit, but regardless of my position, this inflammatory and aggressive language needs to stop. We need to treat each other with humanity and respect.’ Boris Johnson, take a stand. It’s your job to unite the country.
    “Or you will be responsible for putting other people’s lives at risk.
    “Surely you can raise your head out of the sand enough to see that much?
    “This whole thing has gone too far. When people start getting hurt is the moment that we should step back and ask if any of this is even worth it. All the anger and the screaming and the taking sides. The traitors and the liars and the surrendering.
    “Why has this become a matter of life and death? Does someone have to die for us all to realise that we have gotten in far too deep and far too aggressively?
    “The thing is, someone already has died. Do we not have the decency and compassion to see that? Can we not all just treat each other like people again?
    “Because I’m terrified if we don’t that something awful is going to happen again. At this rate, that seems like the only thing that could stop us in our tracks. We need to change the way we act towards our MPs before it goes too far because if not I have no doubt it will.”

And yet at the previous hearing the judges all found in his favour, of course they did invent new laws to stitch him up in the meantime.
    It's awful when that happens.
    Actually they didn't find in his favour exactly, they just said that it was a political decision that they did not feel they could intervene in, made it quite clear that the judgement was not on Brexit or the action just their scope to uphold the law. This new judgement by a higher court has taken a different view and given the nature of the way things were conducted that they felt it was unlawful and they therefore had a remit to declare it unlawful.
    Its all quite an irony really when all the Brexit lot thought that they wanted to return political powers to parliament and lawful judgements to the British courts rather than the Eu.

Hmm appears paste hasn’t worked....
    An excerpt from......
    ”Marmion”
    By Walter Scott...

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
    When first we practise to deceive!

My guess is, that a lot of us would gladly allow a little bending of the rules if it gets this whole argument settled one way or another.
    Yes Boris is being economical with the truth and completely happy to ignore standard protocols and procedures, but the public won't remember that if he forces the issue to a close.
    If he manages to get brexit through, he will be remembered as the PM that took us out of the EU regardless of how he achieved it.

If he fails, he will be remembered badly I'm afraid.

It's a gamble from him, but he has no choices left other than to push on regardless.

There is another fly in the ointment waiting for Boris too.
    Jennifer Arcuri

Why did this young lady receive £110,000 from the Mayor of London's office for promoting diversity in the cybercrime security industry. Her company which has apparently turned in over £1,000,000 in losses , not the sort of company most would;d go near with a barge pole.
    She also regularly accompanied the mayor on trade missions to exotic parts of the world, ands some more mundane destinations too.
    She is a young lady whose former career is listed as model. Has the fact the Mayor was a regular caller at her flat an thing to do with these sums?
    And the mayors name , well it was not Dick Wittington
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Barge pole”

Errrrr......
    hers was chromed and firmly fastened to the floor of her flat.

I suspect like Trump these conveniently timed allegations only make him more popular as it's obvious what's going on.
    How long ago was he Mayor anyway, they just happened to notice this

I suspect like Trump these conveniently timed allegations only make him more popular as it's obvious what's going on.
    Discussions with Vet one day....
    Re animal illnesses etc and fatality implications of various diseases or infections.
    Vets comment was “Rarely was the initial problem the cause of the eventual death”.
    Most probable cause of death would be “the secondaries” those infections that appear because of the initial problem.

As with Politicians....nothing they do in particular......just some skeleton that eventually appears from some long forgotten cupboard.

Discussions with Vet one day....
    Re animal illnesses etc and fatality implications of various diseases or infections.
    Vets comment was “Rarely was the initial problem the cause of the eventual death”.
    Most probable cause of death would be “the secondaries” those infections that appear because of the initial problem.

As with Politicians....nothing they do in particular......just some skeleton that eventually appears from some long forgotten cupboard.
    Indeed!

Retired L.A. lawyer and prolific blogger Bob Lefsetz, started yesterday's letter as follows:

"
    How do you lose a Presidency?
    Very slowly, then all at once.
    This is not a new story. Trump has been flirting with disaster from before his inauguration. Sure, his base loves him, but as the Donald so famously said, if he shot a person on Fifth Avenue, they wouldn’t convict him. Blind devotion.
    But that’s not the entire country."

The complete letter here: https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/

From this tractor seat on almost the opposite side of the world, substituting "Johnson" for "Trump" seems reasonable.

In addition, the parrot sketch comes to mind

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

It has come to notice because it was realised the company she runs, is not in fact based in Cheshire, as was stated in her application. It may have a Cheshire phone number but this is on permanent divert to somewhere in the US where she resides with her new British husband.
    Incidentally both of them are strong remainers
    Thankfully not all the grant has been paid yet
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    It has come to notice because it was realised the company she runs, is not in fact based in Cheshire, as was stated in her application. It may have a Cheshire phone number but this is on permanent divert to somewhere in the US where she resides with her new British husband.
    Incidentally both of them are strong remainers
    Thankfully not all the grant has been paid yet
    There there is an old saying, it is not what you know, it is who you know.
    I suppose it is why people seek power and administer favours, some favours to good purpose, others doubtful.
    Lord Prescott,s son made a fortune in housing in Hull.
    I remember a labour minister of agriculture, and his brother the minister of housing bought a farm in W.ales which
    miraculously got planning.
    The local leader of the conservative council got planning for Tesco on the old cattle market.
    I could go on, it may Even be that there were two benefits with this lady, she might even have drummed up some overseas trade, as well as keeping the bed warm.
    jack caley

There there is an old saying, it is not what you know, it is who you know.
    I suppose it is why people seek power and administer favours, some favours to good purpose, others doubtful.
    Lord Prescott,s son made a fortune in housing in Hull.
    I remember a labour minister of agriculture, and his brother the minister of housing bought a farm in W.ales which
    miraculously got planning.
    The local leader of the conservative council got planning for Tesco on the old cattle market.
    I could go on, it may Even be that there were two benefits with this lady, she might even have drummed up some overseas trade, as well as keeping the bed warm.
    jack caley
    Unfortunately for Boris....if it is found, he personally was behind this lady receiving public money and access to publicly paid for events when the normal channels had refused as she was not eligible for the benefits.
    There will be a code of proper conduct somewhere that states as a Public Servant you must disclose any personal relationships with anyone involved.
    He is facing an extremely serious situation.
    If every Politician in the country that “has or is” warmed or is warming an extra marital bed had to depart the House of Commons would be severely depleted.
    The difference is most of them are providing their services for their own pleasure.
    If (I must emphasise “IF”) the allegations are true, Public Money was being used to buy the privilege of warming an extra marital bed.

Unfortunately for Boris....if it is found, he personally was behind this lady receiving public money and access to publicly paid for events when the normal channels had refused as she was not eligible for the benefits.
    There will be a code of proper conduct somewhere that states as a Public Servant you must disclose any personal relationships with anyone involved.
    He is facing an extremely serious situation.
    If every Politician in the country that “has or is” warmed or is warming an extra marital bed had to depart the House of Commons would be severely depleted.
    The difference is most of them are providing their services for their own pleasure.
    If (I must emphasise “IF”) the allegations are true, Public Money was being used to buy the privilege of warming an extra marital bed.
    Sometimes I despair of humanity!
    What is it about the curates egg: good and bad.
    I worked for a farmer contractor once, he was a local councillor, his relatives made up most of two drainage boards. There were about seven of us worked for him. He got us plenty of work, and to be fair to him, we did a good job for the customers. Presumably he made a good profit. Was that corruption or a public service?
    If the allegations against Boris are correct, I am disappointed but maybe not surprised.
    Today most people seem to be after the quick buck, and I do not exclude in the bed!
    My son knows of someone has really made a killing out of glass fibre in Scotland after promises made in the referendum.
    Where does it all end?
    Is it a good thing the Scots have fast broadband?
    Questions and answers!
    jack caley