Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 140 of 140

Thread: Boris

  1. #121
    Senior Member LALANS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Scotland, land of the free home of the brave
    Posts
    431

    Re: Boris

    I would strongly advise everyone to seek out an interview given by David Starkey where he rejects the decision of the Supreme Court, I think he states that they are 'pig ignorant' and goes on to outline the dangers of progressing down this line where effectively a government cannot govern.

  2. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    I would strongly advise everyone to seek out an interview given by David Starkey where he rejects the decision of the Supreme Court, I think he states that they are 'pig ignorant' and goes on to outline the dangers of progressing down this line where effectively a government cannot govern.
    Bit like now then?

  3. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,239

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    I would strongly advise everyone to seek out an interview given by David Starkey where he rejects the decision of the Supreme Court, I think he states that they are 'pig ignorant' and goes on to outline the dangers of progressing down this line where effectively a government cannot govern.
    https://youtu.be/A2JlN7wgqBE

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Boris

    you go down a very dangerous route decreeing the courts in the wrong.
    It may be Jeremy Corbyn and his mates next year proroguing parliament so they can achieve their long term aims.
    We may not agree with the courts decision but it is up to government to propose laws, parliament to pass laws and for the courts to rule on these laws.
    A kind of triple lock for democracy
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  5. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    As far as I am aware unlike the USA they are not Political appointments.
    Boris achieved the rare distinction of Eleven Judges out of Eleven finding against him.
    Another distinction, Eight votes out of Eight that he has put to Parliament he has lost!
    Until Ten years ago the highest court in the land was within the House of Lords.
    Britain was one of the only democracies to have its judiciary embedded in the Legislature.
    Known as The Law Lords....they were full members of the House of Lords....In effect Political appointments.
    Under a certain T Blair the Supreme Court was created, The Law Lords were shipped out from The Lords.
    A clear separation was created between Politics and the Judiciary.
    Under the previous system one could have questioned their independence.
    Of course this week is set for further legal ramifications.

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Until Ten years ago the highest court in the land was within the House of Lords.
    Britain was one of the only democracies to have its judiciary embedded in the Legislature.
    Known as The Law Lords....they were full members of the House of Lords....In effect Political appointments.
    Under a certain T Blair the Supreme Court was created, The Law Lords were shipped out from The Lords.
    A clear separation was created between Politics and the Judiciary.
    Under the previous system one could have questioned their independence.
    Of course this week is set for further legal ramifications.
    Gee,
    You have said Boris has lost eight votes.
    Of course he he has, Boris wants to obey the will of the people, Parliament wants to remain.
    What else do you expect?
    jack caley

  7. #127
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    921

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Gee,
    Boris wants to obey the will of the people, Parliament wants to remain.
    No, Parliament as a whole wants to leave with a deal. This Parliament verses The People bullsh!t is Brexiteer propaganda.

    Most of Boris's problems in Parliament stem from him being an untrustworthy, proven liar.

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,626

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Most of Boris's problems in Parliament stem from him being an untrustworthy, proven liar.
    Surely you must realise that those attributes are a required qualification for MPs ? And a majority of them excel in those qualities. And a majority are there because they would be useless at any other profession.

    I wouldn't pay them with rusty washers. The problem is that the alternative would be even worse.

    We used to have statesmen and women who had the well being of the U.K. at heart. Always a few bad apples of course - I remember Profumo, but by and large both Houses were something to be proud of. Not any more.

  9. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Surely you must realise that those attributes are a required qualification for MPs ? And a majority of them excel in those qualities. And a majority are there because they would be useless at any other profession.

    I wouldn't pay them with rusty washers. The problem is that the alternative would be even worse.

    We used to have statesmen and women who had the well being of the U.K. at heart. Always a few bad apples of course - I remember Profumo, but by and large both Houses were something to be proud of. Not any more.
    This is so wrong, there are many decent honest MPs in parliament who work tirelessly for the public. Sadly they all get tarred with the same brush. I have met many who are very genuine people, then again we have our own MP who is a lying little ****
    The biggest issue I have with MPs today are so many who see the job as a career, without either having life experience or having a commitment to any cause, other than their own reelection.
    We had the sad sight of one of our best prospects , deciding not to stand again after his treatment in the last few weeks. Rory Stewart is a man who was fully committed to the countries best interests.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  10. #130
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Boris

    There always was pressure to vote along the party line, especially when the majority was slim to non-existent - and the vote was seen as crucially important.
    Most voters vote on party lines rightly or wrongly. Many would be hard pressed to name their MP let alone know his/her stance on particular issues.

  11. #131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    921

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Surely you must realise that those attributes are a required qualification for MPs ? And a majority of them excel in those qualities. And a majority are there because they would be useless at any other profession.
    The difference is - they used to try and hide it, and getting found out was problematical. Not so with Boris, it would seem.

  12. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    This is so wrong, there are many decent honest MPs in parliament who work tirelessly for the public. Sadly they all get tarred with the same brush. I have met many who are very genuine people, then again we have our own MP who is a lying little ****
    The biggest issue I have with MPs today are so many who see the job as a career, without either having life experience or having a commitment to any cause, other than their own reelection.
    We had the sad sight of one of our best prospects , deciding not to stand again after his treatment in the last few weeks. Rory Stewart is a man who was fully committed to the countries best interests.
    Rory Stewart Ditto

  13. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    97

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Gee,
    You have said Boris has lost eight votes.
    Of course he he has, Boris wants to obey the will of the people, Parliament wants to remain.
    What else do you expect?
    jack caley
    Boris wants to further his own career. If it is the will of the people to leave the EU with no deal in place let him ask them. To take a mandate to leave no deal, from the vote, given the bullshit that was touted at the time is not correct. If any kind of deal that was touted as obtainable during the referendum had been secured we would be in an entirely different place by now and that is not the fault of the EU before you say it, it was completely unrealistic expectations on behalf of the Brexiteers in order to try and convince an uninformed electorate of the true picture of possible outcomes.

  14. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Boris wants to further his own career. If it is the will of the people to leave the EU with no deal in place let him ask them. To take a mandate to leave no deal, from the vote, given the bullshit that was touted at the time is not correct. If any kind of deal that was touted as obtainable during the referendum had been secured we would be in an entirely different place by now and that is not the fault of the EU before you say it, it was completely unrealistic expectations on behalf of the Brexiteers in order to try and convince an uninformed electorate of the true picture of possible outcomes.
    You say an uniformed electorate, that to my mind is an insult.
    17.4 million people voted, including many ordinary working class people. In the main I trust the electorate, even when I might disagree with them, as for instance when Blair was elected. Those workers, working alongside immigrant workers undercutting them and sending child benefit back to Poland or wherever. I agree, the Poles especially have a tremendous work ethic, but they are here today gone tomorrow.
    People voted on benefit tourism, health service and housing.
    The EU changed the ground rules, especially when they realised they were going to lose the cash cow of £350 million.
    Regrettab, because of the various treaties people like Major signed, Europe has got a tremendous power over us, both in law and trade. Very difficult to get rid of, as we now find out.
    Boris will only have a career if he gives a service, as any businessman would explain to you.
    jack caley

  15. #135
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    97

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    You say an uniformed electorate, that to my mind is an insult.
    17.4 million people voted, including many ordinary working class people. In the main I trust the electorate, even when I might disagree with them, as for instance when Blair was elected. Those workers, working alongside immigrant workers undercutting them and sending child benefit back to Poland or wherever. I agree, the Poles especially have a tremendous work ethic, but they are here today gone tomorrow.
    People voted on benefit tourism, health service and housing.
    The EU changed the ground rules, especially when they realised they were going to lose the cash cow of £350 million.
    Regrettab, because of the various treaties people like Major signed, Europe has got a tremendous power over us, both in law and trade. Very difficult to get rid of, as we now find out.
    Boris will only have a career if he gives a service, as any businessman would explain to you.
    jack caley
    So by your admission they voted on immigration then and not the actual issue of EU membership?

  16. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    So by your admission they voted on immigration then and not the actual issue of EU membership?
    They voted on membership, partly because of immigration, as well as the corrupt, fereralistic monster.
    jack caley
    should be federalistic.
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 07-10-19 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

  17. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    You say an uniformed electorate, that to my mind is an insult.
    17.4 million people voted, including many ordinary working class people. In the main I trust the electorate, even when I might disagree with them, as for instance when Blair was elected. Those workers, working alongside immigrant workers undercutting them and sending child benefit back to Poland or wherever. I agree, the Poles especially have a tremendous work ethic, but they are here today gone tomorrow.
    People voted on benefit tourism, health service and housing.
    The EU changed the ground rules, especially when they realised they were going to lose the cash cow of £350 million.
    Regrettab, because of the various treaties people like Major signed, Europe has got a tremendous power over us, both in law and trade. Very difficult to get rid of, as we now find out.
    Boris will only have a career if he gives a service, as any businessman would explain to you.
    jack caley
    Europe has zero power over us Jack, we can leave tomorrow if we can agree what we want
    They are sorry to see us leave which is why they are giving us extensions, however we are certainly trying their patience!
    of course we cannot have the advantages of membership of the club if we do not follow their rules and pay the subs. The membership has been of huge benefit to us over the last near 50 years. You should remember this country before we joined , it is not just Maggie who pulled the country out of the manure.
    you should be well aware that every pound we have put in, has been gaining something like £8 back in economic benefit.
    I fear where this country is going after Brexit with so many high end jobs probably being exported over the next 5-10 years. I can see both my son. and son in Law will have to move to Europe/America if they wish to keep their present jobs.
    My sons head office last year moved from London to Amsterdam in preparation for Brexit
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  18. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Boris

    Ruminating last night.....
    Struck me....
    Cameron (who called the referendum) did so in the belief that he would not loose!

    Johnson campaigned for Brexit in the belief that he wouldn’t win!

    Resulting, in us, the so called electorate looking down the barrel of the biggest Blunderbus ever, about to be fired in this country.

  19. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Europe has zero power over us Jack, we can leave tomorrow if we can agree what we want
    They are sorry to see us leave which is why they are giving us extensions, however we are certainly trying their patience!
    of course we cannot have the advantages of membership of the club if we do not follow their rules and pay the subs. The membership has been of huge benefit to us over the last near 50 years. You should remember this country before we joined , it is not just Maggie who pulled the country out of the manure.
    you should be well aware that every pound we have put in, has been gaining something like £8 back in economic benefit.
    I fear where this country is going after Brexit with so many high end jobs probably being exported over the next 5-10 years. I can see both my son. and son in Law will have to move to Europe/America if they wish to keep their present jobs.
    My sons head office last year moved from London to Amsterdam in preparation for Brexit
    Of course purse they are sorry to see us leave, they are losing the goose that lays the golden egg! Germany will have to pay in even more to cover unaudited accounts!
    Of course Ireland will try and stop us leaving, it will lose out big time, in funds and especially exports, if only we would impose tariffs, as threatened by Europe.
    When we entered Europe we exported to them three times imports, now it is the reverse.
    It is going to be painful unravelling all the power they have over us!
    We no longer can afford the contribution to Europe, to be frittered away in support of other countries who ought to be able to support themselves. I woutdoor agree a lot of our wealth has been frittered away by the misguided belief that we should sell our wealth producing assets. Tory inspired to my regret.
    We do need to be able to control our own affairs, the more centralised control gets the worse it gets.
    A very small example, I stayed this summer a little while in the Dordogne area of France. Lovely country, rural area, with many small twisting single track roads. All these roads were pristine, not a pothole in sight. Not for long apparently. Makron has taken away the power of the local mayor to raise taxes. The mayor is elected, if he does not perform, he does not get reelected. His power to maintain local roads and facilities has been taken away from him.
    A similar thing happened in this country when business rates were taken by central government, and we know what that has done to the high street.
    The bigger and the more federalistic Europe gets, the more difficult it will be for individual areas to survive and prosper, especially in the euro.
    rant over,
    jack caley

  20. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Boris

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Of course purse they are sorry to see us leave, they are losing the goose that lays the golden egg! Germany will have to pay in even more to cover unaudited accounts!
    Of course Ireland will try and stop us leaving, it will lose out big time, in funds and especially exports, if only we would impose tariffs, as threatened by Europe.
    When we entered Europe we exported to them three times imports, now it is the reverse.
    It is going to be painful unravelling all the power they have over us!
    We no longer can afford the contribution to Europe, to be frittered away in support of other countries who ought to be able to support themselves. I woutdoor agree a lot of our wealth has been frittered away by the misguided belief that we should sell our wealth producing assets. Tory inspired to my regret.
    We do need to be able to control our own affairs, the more centralised control gets the worse it gets.
    A very small example, I stayed this summer a little while in the Dordogne area of France. Lovely country, rural area, with many small twisting single track roads. All these roads were pristine, not a pothole in sight. Not for long apparently. Makron has taken away the power of the local mayor to raise taxes. The mayor is elected, if he does not perform, he does not get reelected. His power to maintain local roads and facilities has been taken away from him.
    A similar thing happened in this country when business rates were taken by central government, and we know what that has done to the high street.
    The bigger and the more federalistic Europe gets, the more difficult it will be for individual areas to survive and prosper, especially in the euro.
    rant over,
    jack caley
    Jack I think you will find it extremely difficult to justify the statement , when we joined we exported 3 times the amount we to them than we imported.
    The figures are just not there. it does not help that obviously we joined 5 to make 8. this has since grown till we are now at 27
    The truth is our economic decline started in the mid 50's as former commonwealth countries previously tied to us began to import from exports had been steadily dropping even to our closest commonwealth friend in Canada , Australia and New Zealand. our drop in production was not just due to industrial unrest as everyone likes to portray but mainly to the fact we had lost our old partners while our closest neighbours were ramping up their cross border trading. The 5 had seen a dramatic rate of growth compared to our decline.
    since joining it is true that we have not competed well with the established heavy industries on the continent, but services and new industry have consistently been improving and our deficit is actually 16% which has been fairly consistent
    However the telling point is how our economy has grown and it has fairly consistently been better than the most countries and certainly has averaged over the last 30 years better than the USA.
    The USA does have consistently greater output but this is totally down to its natural resources, and this output is spread over a far smaller sector of society than the UK growth
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •