Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boris

Re: Boris

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Secret voting would also mean that an MP's constituents would be unable to check how their MP voted.
    Ten years residency would provide someone that with half a chance you might know something about them.
    Nothing is perfect.
    But secret voting would have ended the Brexit debacle years ago.
    It would also allow MP’s to vote for their constituents wishes without the shackles of party whips and ensuring that they are not subject to the whims of the media.
    I firmly believe that those two factors outweigh the ability of a constituent to be able to research an MP’s voting record.
    Remember that with a Ten year rule it is more likely that the MP has been chosen by locals rather than a Party Central office selection committee.
    Before the individual gets on the list, they need to demonstrate party loyalty.
    As we see at the moment with the current Tory rebels....their political future is in the hands of the party, not themselves nor their voters.
    Step out of line and the party machine will destroy you.
    Classic example of.....
    “WAG THE DOG”

When the U.K. Public voted in the Brexit Referendum of 2016 we voted in areas that were not the same as Parliamentary Constituency areas. However, Professor Christopher Hanretty of Royal Holloway University of London ( https://pure.royalholloway.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/christopher-hanretty(69469d99-0aa0-4f63-87a9-b96dbd86373d).html has devised algorithms that probably show how the population of Constituencies voted in the Brexit vote. Theresa May's 3rd Brexit deal went through the House of Commons in March of this year. And this is a link to Professor Hanretty's interpretation of how MPs voted Constituency-wise : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=579044181

I have subsequently worked on this spreadsheet, mainly because I am incensed about how our respective MPs, in approximately 40% of cases, defied their Constituent's wishes. It seems that I am unable to load a spreadsheet onto this Forum but here is a snapshot of the work I have done :

Voting.JPG Please understand that I have locked the top 6 lines and have put the Constituencies in alphabetical order and that this is just a snapshot of the bottom of the spreadsheet because I wanted to show the totals of how MPs voted. I have highlighted the Constituencies that voted more than 50% (i.e. to Leave the E.U.) to make it a bit easier to understand things. There is no Northern Ireland data in the table.

I seem to have been working under an illusion throughout my life. I thought that when you employed someone to carry out work for you, paid them a salary, paid their justifiable expenses, and contributed to their pension scheme, etc. that they carried out the work that you had asked them to do. On the few occasions when, for whatever reason, the agreement was not complied with then off down the road they went. Have I been wrong all my life ?

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    When the U.K. Public voted in the Brexit Referendum of 2016 we voted in areas that were not the same as Parliamentary Constituency areas. However, Professor Christopher Hanretty of Royal Holloway University of London ( https://pure.royalholloway.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/christopher-hanretty(69469d99-0aa0-4f63-87a9-b96dbd86373d).html has devised algorithms that probably show how the population of Constituencies voted in the Brexit vote. Theresa May's 3rd Brexit deal went through the House of Commons in March of this year. And this is a link to Professor Hanretty's interpretation of how MPs voted Constituency-wise : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=579044181

I have subsequently worked on this spreadsheet, mainly because I am incensed about how our respective MPs, in approximately 40% of cases, defied their Constituent's wishes. It seems that I am unable to load a spreadsheet onto this Forum but here is a snapshot of the work I have done :

Voting.JPG Please understand that I have locked the top 6 lines and have put the Constituencies in alphabetical order and that this is just a snapshot of the bottom of the spreadsheet because I wanted to show the totals of how MPs voted. I have highlighted the Constituencies that voted more than 50% (i.e. to Leave the E.U.) to make it a bit easier to understand things. There is no Northern Ireland data in the table.

I seem to have been working under an illusion throughout my life. I thought that when you employed someone to carry out work for you, paid them a salary, paid their justifiable expenses, and contributed to their pension scheme, etc. that they carried out the work that you had asked them to do. On the few occasions when, for whatever reason, the agreement was not complied with then off down the road they went. Have I been wrong all my life ?
    Zaza
    I thought exactly like you but age and the passage of time has proven that all politicians are lying 'bs' some just lie more than others.
    The whole blatant ignoring of the majority decision makes a mockery of democracy, undermines it and could lead to anarchy.
    My father always said 'never be surprised by peoples' ability to disappoint'

Brexit was not a majority decision, it was just a majority of those that voted. Different thing entirely, throw into that the fact that what was painted as Brexit, land of milk and honey, nothing changes, no consequences to leaving and you have a different scenario. There was certainly no vote that I recall that said leaving without a deal was No 1 priority which is no what Boris thinks he has a mandate for.

If he is that confident, put a referendum on that back to the people, I hate the fact that the general election is going to be fought about Brexit. I don't agree with the conservatives in any way shape or form over Brexit but agree with some of their other policies. How is it right that a general election on Brexit will decide the policy direction for the next 5 years of government?

Brexit should be decided by the people now, if a vote leave no deal is the result, I will abide by it, think the people will get what they asked for but I will abide by it. Different thing to the deal that was mooted at the time of the referendum totally.

As I said the other day, should have been by a parliamentary alliance to sort out, not the political aims of one party. Compromise and deal and things would have been done by now and everybody would have some of what they want

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Brexit was not a majority decision, it was just a majority of those that voted. The same as any election then. By your token none of the MPs should be sitting because none of them will have had a 100% turnout when they were elected. Good luck with that one. Different thing entirely, throw into that the fact that what was painted as Brexit, land of milk and honey, nothing changes, no consequences to leaving and you have a different scenario. There was certainly no vote that I recall that said leaving without a deal was No 1 priority which is no what Boris thinks he has a mandate for. Of course there wasn't a vote for No Deal but Boris is trying to give the voters what they asked for in the light of May not having been successful.

If he is that confident, put a referendum on that back to the people, I hate the fact that the general election is going to be fought about Brexit. I don't agree with the conservatives in any way shape or form over Brexit but agree with some of their other policies. How is it right that a general election on Brexit will decide the policy direction for the next 5 years of government?

Brexit should be decided by the people now, how many referenda do you want before you get the result that suits you ? if a vote leave no deal is the result, I will abide by it, think the people will get what they asked for but I will abide by it. Different thing to the deal that was mooted at the time of the referendum totally.

As I said the other day, should have been by a parliamentary alliance to sort out, not the political aims of one party. Compromise and deal and things would have been done by now and everybody would have some of what they want

Of course there wasn't a vote for No Deal but Boris is trying to give the voters what they asked for in the light of May not having been successful.

Nope Boris is trying to get something that will portray himself as a hero, Boris and his cronies are the very reason that May was not successful.
    Now it appears that the self same cronies are about to vote for a thinly disguised version of Mrs Mays deal.
    For no other reason than the fact that they are now in power.
    Hypocrites.
    As Boris crawls, battered and bruised back from Luxembourg it appears that the EU is not quite in the mood for capitulation.
    In fact Retribution would seem to be more the order of the day.....
    Not much sign of BMW etc demanding that the EU do a deal any deal to preserve their UK trade either. Has any large Eu manufacturer lobbied for a deal?
    Beginning to look the complete opposite......let’s get this over with.....Oh and do we need to continue building those bothersome right hand drive cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Of course there wasn't a vote for No Deal but Boris is trying to give the voters what they asked for in the light of May not having been successful.

Nope Boris is trying to get something that will portray himself as a hero, Boris and his cronies are the very reason that May was not successful.
    Now it appears that the self same cronies are about to vote for a thinly disguised version of Mrs Mays deal.
    For no other reason than the fact that they are now in power.
    Hypocrites.
    As Boris crawls, battered and bruised back from Luxembourg it appears that the EU is not quite in the mood for capitulation.
    In fact Retribution would seem to be more the order of the day.....
    Not much sign of BMW etc demanding that the EU do a deal any deal to preserve their UK trade either. Has any large Eu manufacturer lobbied for a deal?
    Beginning to look the complete opposite......let’s get this over with.....Oh and do we need to continue building those bothersome right hand drive cars?
    Sorry , Gee, but May was not successful because she did not deliver Brexit. As a remainder, all she did deliver was the eu,s brexit, which was worse than a bad deal.
    What nobody realised was the lengths that Europe would go to to prevent anyone else leaving, keeping their fat cat , corrupt salaries, which Boris had seen at first hand.
    jack caley

I read in weekend paper that Cameron veiws Boris stance on Brexit as nothing more as a route to power. I have not an ounce of respect for Cameron but on this I think he right.
    If, and I hope it does not happen as it will merely drag out the shambles, a 2nd referendum were to be offered what should actually be on the paper?
    Remain leaving things as they are (will the EU allow that and would we have to foot any retribution bill)?
    Leave with the May deal (if the EU still allow that option)?
    Leave without any form of deal.
    Would any of the public vote for the middle ground and would it leave a three way split that would leave large numbers of electorate unhappy?
    Personally I still think the Irish border potentially creates a nasty problem with straight exit.
    Locally to me a no deal could possibly see the demise of the NH tractor assembly plant. (just my gut feeling)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Sorry , Gee, but May was not successful because she did not deliver Brexit. As a remainder, all she did deliver was the eu,s brexit, which was worse than a bad deal.
    What nobody realised was the lengths that Europe would go to to prevent anyone else leaving, keeping their fat cat , corrupt salaries, which Boris had seen at first hand.
    jack caley
    No Jack,
    The deal wasn’t delivered because the votes in parliament were being used by ERG extremists to further their own political ambitions.

No Jack,
    The deal wasn’t delivered because the votes in parliament were being used by ERG extremists to further their own political ambitions.
    The ERG group realised that the May agreement was not Brexit.
    jack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I truly believe that Theresa May is a decent human being but she was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I truly believe that Theresa May is a decent human being but she was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Anybody was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time......
    There is no solution.....that can or will command universal support.
    An imposed solution Hard Brexit with No Deal or a Soft Brexit with a deal will be fought for a lifetime by the loosing side.
    Boris will be chewed up and spat out just the same as Mrs May......

Anybody was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time......
    There is no solution.....that can or will command universal support.
    An imposed solution Hard Brexit with No Deal or a Soft Brexit with a deal will be fought for a lifetime by the loosing side.
    Boris will be chewed up and spat out just the same as Mrs May......
    Can't not agree with that.

Things aren't necessarily as bleak as that. I have faith someone will step up and succeed no matter what the opposition says. Getting to the right person is a process though.

Brexit would have been done and dusted if the ERG group had voted for the May deal previously.
    he has now exiled MP's that voted to leave the EU more times than he did.
    And the point about not the majority just the majority of the actual voters cast is to put things into context, if you had read the rest of it you would have realised that one, big argument to say that the young who have to live with this might have a different view and quite a few who voted leave may well have slid off this mortal coil.

They are trying to say that the referendum gave a mandate for leave the EU no matter what when all the talk and publicity machine sold a whole different scenario. As I said if that is what is now on offer, the only choice, stay or leave no deal then ask the people.

If it is still leave then wont like it, but he can actually have a right to say he has a mandate for what he is proposing. He has done bugger all about trying to renegotiate anything and his only plan is leave then try and strike a deal from the outside. Long term it may work but will cause a whole lot of misery in the meantime for the people that work and rely on jobs and a paycheque at the end of the month. Not the Reece Moggs of this world who move their companies to the Irish republic to still have a base in Europe then try and tell us all we need to leave for the common good.

Brexit would have been done and dusted if the ERG group had voted for the May deal previously.
    And the point about not the majority just the majority of the actual voters cast is to put things into context, if you had read the rest of it you would have realised that one, big argument to say that the young who have to live with this might have a different view and quite a few who voted leave may well have slid off this mortal coil.

They are trying to say that the referendum gave a mandate for leave the EU no matter what when all the talk and publicity machine sold a whole different scenario. As I said if that is what is now on offer, the only choice, stay or leave no deal then ask the people.

If it is still leave then wont like it, but he can actually have a right to say he has a mandate for what he is proposing. He has done bugger all about trying to renegotiate anything and his only plan is leave then try and strike a deal from the outside. Long term it may work but will cause a whole lot of misery in the meantime for the people that work and rely on jobs and a paycheque at the end of the month. Not the Reece Moggs of this world who move their companies to the Irish republic to still have a base in Europe then try and tell us all we need to leave for the common good.
    Spot on!

And the point about not the majority just the majority of the actual voters (did you mean votes ? ) cast is to put things into context, if you had read the rest of it you would have realised that one, (why the comma ? ) big argument to say that the young who have to live with this might have a different view and quite a few who voted leave may well have slid off this mortal coil. No doubt about it. Your obvious wish will come true sooner or later.

If it is still leave then (Should this be "they" ?) wont like it, but he can actually have a right to say he has a mandate for what he is proposing. He has done bugger all about trying to renegotiate anything and his only plan is leave then try and strike a deal from the outside. Long term it may work but will cause a whole lot of misery in the meantime for the people that work and rely on jobs and a paycheque at the end of the month. Not the Reece Moggs of this world who move their companies to the Irish republic to still have a base in Europe then try and tell us all we need to leave for the common good.
    Engaging in good honest debate is part of our psyche and one of the many joys of this Forum but may I respectfully suggest that you read back your posts, using the Review Post option below, prior to Submitting any reply that you construct ?

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

If anyone saw the debacle with the Luxembourg PM and the baying mob then in my opinion sums up the total disrespect the EU has for the office of Prime Minister. For Christ's sake that little shit is no more than the Provost of a 4th rate Toon Cooncil (Luxembourg PM that is).
    Whether its Boris or anyone else the fact that this mob was allowed to disrupt a press conference is disgusting.
    As for Mrs May I believe she was promoted to the level of her incompetence. She is a remainer who couldn't negotiate with a blind man.

You make quite an important point about the young who have to live with Europe if we remain. They will have to face even further loss of control, even more attacks on our economy, and further strengthening of federalism through the Lisbon treaty.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    If anyone saw the debacle with the Luxembourg PM and the baying mob then in my opinion sums up the total disrespect the EU has for the office of Prime Minister. For Christ's sake that little shit is no more than the Provost of a 4th rate Toon Cooncil (Luxembourg PM that is).
    Whether its Boris or anyone else the fact that this mob was allowed to disrupt a press conference is disgusting.
    As for Mrs May I believe she was promoted to the level of her incompetence. She is a remainer who couldn't negotiate with a blind man.
    What I found interesting was the BBC,s reporting of that. It conveyed the impression that Boris ran, of course he did, it was obviously staged by that creep from Luxembourg, who are net receivers of our money anyway.
    jack caley.
    PS Our lorry saves £500 a tankful of diesel going to Italy, and again on return from the largest filling station in the world.They know just how much value an open border would be in Ireland.

Engaging in good honest debate is part of our psyche and one of the many joys of this Forum but may I respectfully suggest that you read back your posts, using the Review Post option below, prior to Submitting any reply that you construct ?
    No it was "I" wont like it, but will live with it as the decision will be democratic, not sold on lies and promises

And yes we all have to come to terms with mortality, no doubt, being smart about things wont stave it off!

Point is that those that are going to be most affected should have the right to determine if the actual offer is one they want to go with or not. Its long been obvious that the majority of this forum have been pro leave and also that the majority of this forum are of an older age group. That fits with the general demographic that predominantly voted leave, not exclusively before get jumped on!

But what is the problem in a referendum on the deal that is actually on the table, not the lies that were sold on the general principle? Boris has no mandate for a no deal exit, if he wants one the question should be asked exclusively not wrapped up in a general election that encompasses a whole load of other issues.

When we were told that a Brexit deal, would be the easiest deal in history, how many of those on the leave side disagreed?
    how many pointed out that the facts were already known, the EU had already stated its position, which has never changed in the last four years.
    All those in the ERG , Jeremy Corbyn et al, knew that we would never get a free trade deal , or any other sort of cushy relationship, such as Norway and Switzerland enjoy, without 2 simple things. freedom of Movement and paying into the EU coffers, and those two countries have got a huge hand to their advantage already, Energy and communications the EU desperately need
    They cheerfully ignored the reality staring everyone in the face, and spoon fed an illiterate electorate with a stream of lies.
    They never said that we would have to drop out unceremoniously then turn round with our tail between our legs begging for a trade agreement so we could once again send them our agricultural exports without 40% tariffs. I do not expect our car industry will last any longer than Sirius potash either.
    it was fine for those with massive old money to cushion the fall or could depart to Singapore in his quarter of a billion pound properties or possibly have a hedge fund which has made massive amounts of cash betting against the pound. not much good for those young people who will lose highly paid jobs in modern industries of hopefully will have to move abroad to follow them.
    There will bee some members here who will laud the fall of the city of London from its premier position, but remember for every one in the financial sector who loses , another one gains, they may be in Frankfurt Munich Paris or Stockholm but hey, Britain will be a better place
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    When we were told that a Brexit deal, would be the easiest deal in history, how many of those on the leave side disagreed?
    how many pointed out that the facts were already known, the EU had already stated its position, which has never changed in the last four years.
    All those in the ERG , Jeremy Corbyn et al, knew that we would never get a free trade deal , or any other sort of cushy relationship, such as Norway and Switzerland enjoy, without 2 simple things. freedom of Movement and paying into the EU coffers, and those two countries have got a huge hand to their advantage already, Energy and communications the EU desperately need
    They cheerfully ignored the reality staring everyone in the face, and spoon fed an illiterate electorate with a stream of lies.
    They never said that we would have to drop out unceremoniously then turn round with our tail between our legs begging for a trade agreement so we could once again send them our agricultural exports without 40% tariffs. I do not expect our car industry will last any longer than Sirius potash either.
    it was fine for those with massive old money to cushion the fall or could depart to Singapore in his quarter of a billion pound properties or possibly have a hedge fund which has made massive amounts of cash betting against the pound. not much good for those young people who will lose highly paid jobs in modern industries of hopefully will have to move abroad to follow them.
    There will bee some members here who will laud the fall of the city of London from its premier position, but remember for every one in the financial sector who loses , another one gains, they may be in Frankfurt Munich Paris or Stockholm but hey, Britain will be a better place
    Sorry, ex farmer, but we do not have a car industry anyway. I really would like to know just how the Japanese price out the cars assembled by our expertise, and just how much tax they pay in this country.
    The problem with the 40 per cent tax is that the eu has taken so much of our market it is difficult to impose retaliatory tariffs. Possibly the government offering no import tariffs was a vain, weak attempt to hope that eu would reciprocate.
    However , the French businessmen who have cope with tariffs on Welsh lamb will like it anyway. My sons used to trade lobsters to Spain and France, they have fished all their own out. I do not think they will like tariffs on lobsters either!
    People did not vote on free trade, they voted on benefit tourism, NHS pressure not reciprocated and free movement.
    The eu are ruthless negotiators and will stop at nothing to carry on taking our money, and our huge trade deficit.
    regards,
    jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Reality Bites!
    Spot On.

Sorry, ex farmer, but we do not have a car industry anyway. I really would like to know just how the Japanese price out the cars assembled by our expertise, and just how much tax they pay in this country.
    The problem with the 40 per cent tax is that the eu has taken so much of our market it is difficult to impose retaliatory tariffs. Possibly the government offering no import tariffs was a vain, weak attempt to hope that eu would reciprocate.
    However , the French businessmen who have cope with tariffs on Welsh lamb will like it anyway. My sons used to trade lobsters to Spain and France, they have fished all their own out. I do not think they will like tariffs on lobsters either!
    People did not vote on free trade, they voted on benefit tourism, NHS pressure not reciprocated and free movement.
    The eu are ruthless negotiators and will stop at nothing to carry on taking our money, and our huge trade deficit.
    regards,
    jack.
    Trouble is it is the future we are talking about not the past!

Boris has to be the single greatest con artist, to attain the high office of PM.
    He has politically speaking, been a EU fan all of his life.
    Of course, as a journalist he wrote a lot of disparaging stuff about the EU to get himself attention and a profile.
    Much of that disparaging stuff, was of course based on his natural instinct to deceive and to lie.

He switched his position to the leave camp prior to the referendum, having sat precariously on the fence for months, trying to
    figure out which side, would best suit his personal ambition, to be PM one day.

Now he is PM. He still lies as he did before, but on a grander scale.

His engagement with Brussels thus far as PM, has been s sh1t show.
    So called EU pip squeaks, such as the Luxembourg PM, don't need to disrespect him or wipe the floor with him.
    They just need to stand by, while he does all that for himself.

PS: Boris voted for TM's deal in Parliment.

As PM he will bring TM's deal back to Parliment, with at most an apostrophe moved, so he an call it the Boris deal.

jack caley
    Really cant understand the lengths you think Europe has gone to, they set out their red lines at the start -to keep the Irish border open was the big one and if you want a free trade deal on the current terms -broadly. You have to accept free movement of people and the role of the EU courts.

The problem is that all along the Brexiteers have promised a deal on the same terms as current trade deal (via way of membership) without any of the bits they don't like.
    That was never ever a remote possibility and quite frankly why would it have been?

If you think the EU was unreasonable on that front can't understand what you think they should have done.
    The May deal got most of what the UK wanted but there was this unpalatable possibility of the Irish backstop. It remains only a possibility in the event a trade deal cant be negotiated not ideal I grant you but only an insurance policy. Far better than the chasm we are currently facing though.

Boris and fat cat salaries????
    How much was he trousering from “The Telegraph” for his weekly “Brexiteer Rant”.
    Stand to be corrected but wasn’t in the region of £250000 a year on top of his MP’s salary on top of his fees for speeches at events????
    Didnt he pick a sizeable sum for a speech at JCB?
    No way can Boris ever accuse Eurocrats of being Fat Cats!

Oh dear...

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Oh dear...
    Oh dear!Dear!
    jack caley