Thread: Rewilding Study by the University of Oxford

Lightbulb Rewilding Study by the University of Oxford

Establishing rewilding preferences in British farmers and gamekeepers
    Rewilding Study by the University of Oxford

We are a group of researchers from the University of Oxford’s Department of Zoology, looking for volunteers, aged 18+ and employed in either the farming or gamekeeping sector, to take part in a short survey looking into rewilding preferences. Participants must be:

• 18 or over
    • Based in the UK
    • Work in either the farming or gamekeeping sector

If you are interested in participating and giving your opinion on rewilding policy in the UK please follow the link: INSERT LINK. No identifiable data will be collected and all responses are anonymous. This project has been reviewed by, and received ethics clearance through, the University of Oxford Central University Research Ethics Committee [R63720/RE001]. You can drop out at any point during the survey. The survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. If you are interested in participating and giving your opinion on rewilding policy in the UK please follow the link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/7N23KN5

Re: Rewilding Study by the University of Oxford

I could not complete your survey as you were asking me to choose between two species that I have no wish to see introduced in any way. There was no place to say this and the survey would not let me move on leaving the choice blank.

This is a very biased survey to my mind so the outcome is useless.

At the moment there is a craze for rewilding and creating wild flower meadows etc. It should be recognised why these species have disappeared.The country is heavily populated, people need to be fed, as they did especially during the war. It is all very well to import food, but increasingly we are becoming a poorer nation , in terms of foreign exchange. We are increasingly dependent on importing food from Europe, hence the balance of trade deficit. The likes of Chris Packham can pull the heartstrings of the wealthy, but at some time realism might return.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    I could not complete your survey as you were asking me to choose between two species that I have no wish to see introduced in any way. There was no place to say this and the survey would not let me move on leaving the choice blank.

This is a very biased survey to my mind so the outcome is useless.
    Perhaps you should report this to the University of Oxford’s Department of Zoology and the University of Oxford Central University Research Ethics Committee [R63720/RE001]. Also request that your complaint be provided to any peer-review committee who will be evaluating the research results.

This has been posted on a certain other site where the comments were much the same. It is obvious the author is looking for certain answers, along the lines of

A farmer is asked which they would sooner have,
    A , a kick on the shins
    B, A kick in the nether regions
    C a kick to the head

After the survey was completed the reports author concluded that, farmers like to be kicked on the shins.

you can be certain the author is looking for farmers to confirm they are happy for certain species to be released, when reason tells us that all farmers who will have to pick up the pieces would sooner have a kick in the balls.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    This has been posted on a certain other site where the comments were much the same. It is obvious the author is looking for certain answers, along the lines of

A farmer is asked which they would sooner have,
    A , a kick on the shins
    B, A kick in the nether regions
    C a kick to the head

After the survey was completed the reports author concluded that, farmers like to be kicked on the shins.

you can be certain the author is looking for farmers to confirm they are happy for certain species to be released, when reason tells us that all farmers who will have to pick up the pieces would sooner have a kick in the balls.
    Our agronomist always said, never complete surveys, as they are always slanted in a direction to support whatever.
    jack caley