Thread: McCormick b46 international baler

McCormick b46 international baler

Does the plunger on the McCormick B46 baler have a wooden block in it both at the top and the bottom? I've been doing some repairs and I only have a block at the top.

Re: McCormick b46 international baler

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Clinghan View Post
    Does the plunger on the McCormick B46 baler have a wooden block in it both at the top and the bottom? I've been doing some repairs and I only have a block at the top.
    I'll check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure the block is only on the top. Never figured out why it's there.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

I ran B47 balers and there was only a wooden block at the top but if that was missing or even part of it missing the hay/straw would get up on top of the ram and then when the needles came up they will push whatever was where the block should be into the knotters. Then the fun would start. Very often shortly after the knotter(s) had mis-tied the air pressure generated by the ram would have pushed the cause of the mis-tie out of the way. Of course you wouldn't see the mis-tie until the bale fell out of the back of the baler and by this time the knotter would probably be working perfectly again. So you chucked the loose hay/straw from the broken bale back into the pickup auger and start off again.

Then it would happen all over again at some point, and again, and again, and again. We used to carry a spare block with each baler and with the odd miss-tie we would always look to see if that block of wood was there. If it had disappeared or even only partially broken up then the only remedy was to stop and replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I ran B47 balers and there was only a wooden block at the top but if that was missing or even part of it missing the hay/straw would get up on top of the ram and then when the needles came up they will push whatever was where the block should be into the knotters. Then the fun would start. Very often shortly after the knotter(s) had mis-tied the air pressure generated by the ram would have pushed the cause of the mis-tie out of the way. Of course you wouldn't see the mis-tie until the bale fell out of the back of the baler and by this time the knotter would probably be working perfectly again. So you chucked the loose hay/straw from the broken bale back into the pickup auger and start off again.

Then it would happen all over again at some point, and again, and again, and again. We used to carry a spare block with each baler and with the odd miss-tie we would always look to see if that block of wood was there. If it had disappeared or even only partially broken up then the only remedy was to stop and replace it.
    Sounds plausible! I wonder if the same wood was used for UK & Aus machines. I bought my B47 in 1970, and still use it. The block is still complete and entire !

Mind you, almost everything else has either been repaired or replaced

JV

In it's day the 47 was a good baler. Faster than a 46 and light years ahead of a 45 but then that's progress. The 45 was better than a crop loader chucking it up loose onto a wagon ! I bore everyone by telling them that my best day with a 47 was either 1968 or '69. I was baling straw behind 2 M140 combines and a Fisher-Humpries which had been on demo with the folding header. All 14ft combines in an 80 acre field. They had cut it by turning at the ends and going back on their mark (no tramlines in those days) which meant that there were no pikes and you didn't have to move any bales. Very dry weather and I was able to start at 8 in the morning - no dew, and had food on the go. Only stopped to put more string in and she only missed a couple of dozen bales all day - probably where I had joined two balls of string.

When I finished I had done 6,200 bales. I never got remotely near that figure ever again and the M42 motorway goes straight through the middle of the field today. Half a mile from the Bellfry golf course. I was baling for a hay & straw merchant for 7d (old pennies)/bale. That less than 3p in new money. But new balers were only 600-800 !

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Clinghan View Post
    Sorry for the delayed report Robert; I've checked my B46 spares machine. Same as the B47 - no wooden block under the plunger.

JV