Thread: Manitou 627 (2007) Brake issue

Manitou 627 (2007) Brake issue

Hi just had my master cylinder replaced a few days ago after brakes gave up. by local dealer. However i noticed the pedal travel was a lot further than before and hardly much bite. Today last thing i noticed fluid on the floor of cab and looks like the quite a bit of fluid has been forced back out the reservoir via the cap and the pedal is hitting floor with little effort again (no brakes at all). Any ideas what the problem could be. thanks??

Should say since master cylinder was fitted it had no real use until today when it was in constant use for a few hours.

Re: Manitou 627 (2007) Brake issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Skip Hire View Post
    Hi just had my master cylinder replaced a few days ago after brakes gave up. by local dealer. However i noticed the pedal travel was a lot further than before and hardly much bite. Today last thing i noticed fluid on the floor of cab and looks like the quite a bit of fluid has been forced back out the reservoir via the cap and the pedal is hitting floor with little effort again (no brakes at all). Any ideas what the problem could be. thanks??

Should say since master cylinder was fitted it had no real use until today when it was in constant use for a few hours.
    A shot in the dark, but after checking the "new" cylinder and its installation are ok, I'd look at the drake discs incase they are warped- could give poor pedal travel and its feasible that they could push the piston(s) back forcing fluid into the mastery cylinder?

Not sure if the Manitou has any physical connection to the transmission to disconnect it when the brakes are applied or if its just electrical? If its the former I'd look to see if transmission oi/pressure could be getting into the brake line?

The only other remote chance is remembering Ace's warning about checking axle oil levels and removing the level bung carefully because of internal pressure build up they suffer from is to check that its not internal case pressure in an axle pushing back through the brake lines?

Hopefully Ace will spot this thread and come up with the definitive answer!
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    A shot in the dark, but after checking the "new" cylinder and its installation are ok, I'd look at the drake discs incase they are warped- could give poor pedal travel and its feasible that they could push the piston(s) back forcing fluid into the mastery cylinder?

Not sure if the Manitou has any physical connection to the transmission to disconnect it when the brakes are applied or if its just electrical? If its the former I'd look to see if transmission oi/pressure could be getting into the brake line?

The only other remote chance is remembering Ace's warning about checking axle oil levels and removing the level bung carefully because of internal pressure build up they suffer from is to check that its not internal case pressure in an axle pushing back through the brake lines?

Hopefully Ace will spot this thread and come up with the definitive answer!
    Thanks just took the plugs out on axles front axle no pressure sound and lvl ok. Rear axle very slight pressure hissing for 3 secs and level ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Skip Hire View Post
    Thanks just took the plugs out on axles front axle no pressure sound and lvl ok. Rear axle very slight pressure hissing for 3 secs and level ok.
    Your problem is the brake piston seals in one or both axles. Very common there a newer style seal now much better.

the axles have a vent but is a ball and spring type so not free venting and it normal to build up back pressure within the axle casing.

when you have brake piston seal failure its common to either push this back pressure in to the brake circuit filling it with air and not emptying the brake pot as you would normally expect or in your case the seals have failed below the axle oil level and back pressure I pushing that axle oil back in the brake circuit over flowing the brake pot in the cab.

you will need to blank one axle off to figure out which is leaking or just tank a punt on the front one cause that's the most common to fail although the rears are never far behind IMO.

Its not that bad a job to do your self if your okay with getting the axle off on the floor, there's now special tools needed other than a easy to make tool to push the brake pistons back in nicely so you don't damage the seals.