Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bit of a long shot but thought I would ask anyway.............

Re: A bit of a long shot but thought I would ask anyway.............

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Back to the topic if I may and an update !

I thought that I would just try drilling a hole in a chunk of metal and seeing if I could actually punch a hole through an old scrap blade before I built a purpose made jig for the job.

I duly put a No. 10 jet in the welding torch and got a small section of the blade red hot. Then over to the anvil having marked the hole as best as I could before laying the relevant part of the blade over it. Then proceeded to place a suitable punch over the heated area and gave it a wack. The punch flew out of my hand and landed somewhere in the workshop. I can't find the punch, I haven't got a ruddy clue where it is !

It did actually make a hole in the blade but I realised that the hole had to be much larger so I drilled a larger hole in the scrap bit of metal. I got the blade red hot again and got another punch and gripped it with Mole grips, placed the blade over the hole and wacked it again. This time the end of the blade flew off, somewhere in the workshop, haaven't got a ruddy clue where it landed !

At times like this I reach a conclusion. Someone, or something, is trying to tell me something and so it's sell all the good blades I have and go and buy some the correct size.
    No! No! No! Never give up! Remember the cartoon of the bird trying to swallow the frog, but the frog has it's hands clasped firmly around the bird's neck!

The punch is not lost - you just can't find it at the moment.

And now you know the whack you gave the blade is not the correct whack, so that's an advance. Maybe a gentle tap is all that's required to pop hot metal?

Perseverence

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Thanks for the encouragement John but while you may be correct in saying that the punch is not lost I did hear a strange "thud" sort of sound when it flew and I think it may have hit a nearby tractor tyre. And since I had both doors opened fully it may have shot out of the workshop and onto the grass beyond. If it did do that I'll will eventually find it with the ride-on.

I did try a small tap, when it was glowing bright red, but it just put a centre pop on the blade. I've got 5 Eclipse blades plus I found some more Starret blades (5 in total now) plus the 9 no-name. Sod it, they can go on fleabay. Maybe with the proceeds I will be able to retire.

Thanks for the encouragement John but while you may be correct in saying that the punch is not lost I did hear a strange "thud" sort of sound when it flew and I think it may have hit a nearby tractor tyre. And since I had both doors opened fully it may have shot out of the workshop and onto the grass beyond. If it did do that I'll will eventually find it with the ride-on.

I did try a small tap, when it was glowing bright red, but it just put a centre pop on the blade. I've got 5 Eclipse blades plus I found some more Starret blades (5 in total now) plus the 9 no-name. Sod it, they can go on fleabay. Maybe with the proceeds I will be able to retire.
    "Maybe with the proceeds I will be able to retire. [/QUOTE]"

After Boris' solution?

Got that flag pole ready?
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Or as the Hacksaw Blade said......
    I'm HARD very very HARD,
    I need to be HARD,
    So I am!
    Get over it!

I do think you ought to have a notice notice posted outside your workshop, as a hazardarous area!
    I do hope you get no visits from the elf and safety men.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I do think you ought to have a notice notice posted outside your workshop, as a hazardarous area!
    I do hope you get no visits from the elf and safety men.
    jack caley
    You sure know how to hit a man when he's down Jack. I had such high hopes of formulating a way for the creation of holes in the hacksaw blades. I had practically got the Patents applied for. It was going to be my money tree. People would have flocked from far and wide to buy a licence to use my idea. "This time next year Rodney" and all that.

All I have now is a missing punch, a piece of scrap hacksaw blade that is also lying around somewhere, and a dented pride.

You are so cruel Jack.

All is not lost!
    Those broken heavy duty blades make excellent knives.
    Wrap some insulation tape around one end to protect your hand.
    Grind a sharp edge onto the rest.....sits in the tractor .....on the quad wherever...really good for Round bale net.
    Plus keep a with the teeth on it......good for getting into difficult places that need a bit of cutting, much better than trying to use a hand hacksaw blade.
    Every days a school day etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    All is not lost!
    Those broken heavy duty blades make excellent knives.
    Wrap some insulation tape around one end to protect your hand.
    Grind a sharp edge onto the rest.....sits in the tractor .....on the quad wherever...really good for Round bale net.
    Plus keep a with the teeth on it......good for getting into difficult places that need a bit of cutting, much better than trying to use a hand hacksaw blade.
    Every days a school day etc etc
    Yes, I've got a couple of those blades suitably sharpened at one end and with Gorilla Tape round the other. Not quite sure what HSE would have to say about them though. Good job they don't know where to look. And the sun (or someone or something) has shone down on me today. The 9 "no-name" blades that I've got have actually got Eclipse Made in England stamped on them but it's very faint and not in the usuall dark blue/light blue pattern. If you are more than about a foot away from the blade you can't see it.

If you are more than about a foot away from the blade you can't see it.
    I bet Mrs Zaza would spot the punch PDQ- how about calling in a favour?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    I bet Mrs Zaza would spot the punch PDQ- how about calling in a favour?
    She brought me my customary cup of tea and ice cream the other day about 5 minutes after it happened and she knew immediately what was expected of her but she could not locate it either. You just can't get the staff these days.

I don't know if this would work on HSS which blades are made from, but you can spot soften "normal" hard steels by using a drill ( an old one preferably!) backwards in the chuck (i.e. using the shank end) with a lot of pressure on the drill press handle & a high speed. This will rapidly heat an area the size of the drill in use until it becomes red & eventually white hot. (Careful not to weld the drill to the work) Remove the drill (careful - fingers!!) & substitute one the right way round & the steel can be drilled without softening the rest of the piece. May be worth a try & bound to be cheaper than launching sets of punches into the unknown?

Thanks for that and I might just try it on a scrap blade but in the meantime I thought I would try this : http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...838#post310838