Thread: Replacement TM hitch

Replacement TM hitch

Back in the spring i got round to replacing the original Sauermann mechanical swing out hitch on one of our TM155's with the same make but their heavier hydraulic pushout type. I'd sourced a pair from a dealer in Holland on the basis that "they will fit with a small bit of modification"

Offering up the "new" hitch revealed that only two out of eight bolts aligned up. The hitch was spaced from the bottom of the transmission as well

Old hitch as removed. All the pivot points were well shot and having had two Masseys with the pushout type hitch it seemed better to upsize rather than rework these old hitches.

Another problem that came with the new hitch was the lift rods were for a different type of lift rocker arm where the casting is much longer than the TM type with the lift rod mounted further out from where the actual linkage lift rods mounted

Here during the test fitting its obvious once the hitch is mounted properly something has to happen to the way too long lift rods..........

Heres what has to be altered-

So it was off with the thin spacers with the target to fit the hitch tight up against the casting. The old bolt holes are cleaned out with a carbide burr and then filled in with the mig.

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Replacement TM hitch

Next step was to cut a strip of 12mm (IIRC) thick plate to weld in front of the main plate as the two forward most boltholes were way out of alignment (well the dutch dealer did say it needed "a small bracket welded on the front"..........!!!) So it was a chance to get the BOC gas trammel out and rasher off a strip for the two hitches. Always a satisfying job especially when it comes off with a nice kurf!

Plate welded in place and old holes ground level

Next after a lot of measuring it was possible to bore out the new holes with the mag drill and plenty of cutting oil

Here we are now bolted up tight to the casting, no spacers but the 12.9 metric fine bolts all got nice big thick washers that Sparex sell.

Bit of black paint made it look tidy. Note the lift rods- more about them later on.

One difficulty was the lower two of the four bolts on the back face of the PTO casting. Rather than cut and move the bracing plate to accommodate standard hex headed bolts I came up with a compromise using Hex socket caphead bolts with a spacer on each turned up from solid bar in the lathe.

Re: Replacement TM hitch

On the home straight. The hoses that came with the hitch are way too long- one length fits all type of thing. Crimped 90 degree ends on the shortened hoses and added a spacer so that the two fit in the QRC nice and tidy

Definitely a much more chunky hitch than the other model the dealer had to offer plus the hitch has a hump that goes up into the mounting frame so that it can't extend/come out when the hitch is locked up- saves having a lock off tap like our Masseys have.

Heres how I got over the lift rod problem. The original rods were too short for the new hitch so I cut the top U bracket off with a 1mm disc and turned two spacers up out of solid bar to extend them by 60mm, vee'd them out and welded them in place (the rods are a pretty thick lump of tube which helped welding)

The only other couple of thing were that we abandoned the hitch release control that came with them using our old TM style handle.

And we also had to deal with the problem of having a separate hook and clevis type so it needed storage sorting. I knocked this up to take the one not in use. It allows the weights to still be used

Heres the victim before some surgery. The dealer in Holland imports tractors from the UK and takes off these when they fit their more popular european style hitch.